Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:58 AM

235 posts, read 755,934 times

Advertisements

I understand there might be similar threads but my criteria is a bit different.
Well, let me start by saying a bit about myself. I'm a married, Vegan, 23 years old, a responsible weed smoker(not a pot head, but as a child, I suffered from leg calve perthes disease, which still ails me to this day), Film student (once bills are paid), that is from NY (13 years) moved to Phoenix AZ during my teenage years, and once I became of age, moved up to Portland Or. Due to the terrible job market in Portland, the influx trust fund kids, overpriced condo "loft" housing, and the overall housing prices sky rocketing. I find it difficult in the city to have a job, an apartment, school, and the opportunities for a potential career, I ended up moving back to AZ to live with my wife at her moms. Now since being back here, I have been jumping out of my skin, I hate the weather, I hate the lack of culture, I hate the crime, I hate the cookie cutter houses, and strip malls on every corner, the bleach blond yuppies, bad drivers, close mindedness, the list goes on.
What I seek. Open minded people open to alternative lifestyles, jobs, safety, culture, music, biking, metro feel.

Sorry about the book I wrote, so back to the subject. I have narrowed it down to two options.

Now Seattle has what seems to be more jobs, nature, the weather I love, culture, music, metro feel, festivals, great on allergies, and good laws for medical marijuana.

Minneapolis on the other hand seems to have a up and coming music scene, seasons, affordable housing, safety, better public transit.

What I want to know, is how does Seattle compare to Minneapolis, in terms of jobs, culture, music scene, safety. Which would you consider if you were in my shoes, looking for a safe place live, with culture, and art, all the while being able to have a job and afford rent.
Seattle, or Minneapolis, or somewhere else you think I would fit better? I'm open to all suggestions.

I know this is a tall order, and I don't expect all my questions answered. I suppose I'm looking for a bit a guidance, and I don't know where else to look.
If you read all of this, Thank you, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
I've never been to either but am looking into both as well for possible relocation and Minneapolis seems to be better for arts and culture. Everything I've read and seen leads me to believe its second only to NY and perhaps Vegas as far as live shows go.

That said Seattle I think has more density and public transit and may even be a bit safer.

But culture wise I think you might prefer Minneapolis. As I said I've not been to either but I've met a good number of people from both and Seattle is more the corporate yuppies that you seem to not like while Minneapolis definitely an alternative lifestyle type of city.

These are just my experiences and what I've viewed in researching and talking to people from both of these cities. I'm sure others will be around shortly to disagree with everything I've said.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:12 AM

381 posts, read 862,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I've never been to either but am looking into both as well for possible relocation and Minneapolis seems to be better for arts and culture. Everything I've read and seen leads me to believe its second only to NY and perhaps Vegas as far as live shows go.

That said Seattle I think has more density and public transit and may even be a bit safer.

But culture wise I think you might prefer Minneapolis. As I said I've not been to either but I've met a good number of people from both and Seattle is more the corporate yuppies that you seem to not like while Minneapolis definitely an alternative lifestyle type of city.

These are just my experiences and what I've viewed in researching and talking to people from both of these cities. I'm sure others will be around shortly to disagree with everything I've said.
Hmmm...knowing both cities, I would have to disgree with you there. Both are equally good for live music. Both have a ton of great smaller venues, as well as some excellent mid-size/larger venues, and both have a good collection of local bands and great open-mic type stuff going on.

Public transit is currently in Minneapolis's favor because their light rail line goes to denser parts of the city, but Seattle IMO has a better bus system, and once the new light rail and streetcar lines open within the next decade I think it will surpass Minneapolis.

As for corporate vs. alternative lifestyles, I'd say both cities offer a health dose of both. Seattle has a wider range of neighborhood centers across the city, from vegan-crunchy industrial Georgetown and hipster Capitol Hill to frat-boy dominated Fremont and Belltowmn. Minneapolis has its range, too, but not quite as extreme.

Some of the biggest differences I'd point to are actually in weather and terrain. In terms of urban amenities I'd say they're very comparable. Minneapolis has better bike infrastructure (really, one of the best in the country), but Seattle is no slouch there. And both overall have very good restaurants (although neither are top tier like NYC or SF), I'd give the slight edge to Seattle there.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:21 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
...Austin, LA, Nashville...

Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Broadway or theater.....not music.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Broadway or theater.....not music.
Ah, okay. That's different.

Seattle has a theatrical scene, but it's fairly small.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
Yes thankyou Minichicbus I was referring to Live Performances as in theater which is something I'm looking for and I imagine our OP would like being a film student

Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 PM

235 posts, read 755,934 times
Thank you guys! This is very informative, and I appreciate all the posts, this is very helpful!

Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
...Austin, LA, Nashville...
Austin is one of the most overrated cities in the United States. Nashville is, ... well Nashville.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:26 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
Public transit is currently in Minneapolis's favor because their light rail line goes to denser parts of the city, but Seattle IMO has a better bus system, and once the new light rail and streetcar lines open within the next decade I think it will surpass Minneapolis.
I don't know. Once the Central Corridor opens in 2014, MPLS. - STPL. will have a pretty decent light rail system. The line will connect downtown MPLS., the University of Minnesota, the Midway area (STPL.), the Capitol area (STPL.), and downtown STPL. That's a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City