Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is Baltimore most like?
Denver 2 2.13%
Minneapolis 3 3.19%
Saint Louis 50 53.19%
San Diego 1 1.06%
Tampa 2 2.13%
other 36 38.30%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:36 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times

Advertisements

BTW - my 2¢ on this: anyone who thinks Baltimore and DC are very much alike has clearly never spent much time in either city. I didn't realize it at first when I moved to DC, because I pretty much felt that Baltimore was basically an extension of DC, just an hour north.

Nope. Baltimore is MUCH more of a blue collar, working class city than DC is. That's evident pretty much everywhere. The culture of the two cities is quite different. There are elements of Baltimore's culture that I like, but it is precisely because they are so unlike DC's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Pittsburgh comes to my mind first for some reason. I like both cities and they both have taken their knocks recently and are coming back stronger.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:40 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
As I stated earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Baltimore would still be Baltimore without its proximity to DC. It must be remembered that Baltimore was a thriving city way before DC's rise to the top; thus, it had a chance to establish its own identity early on, independent of DC.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:46 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Philadelphia and Newark.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:52 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Philadelphia and Newark.
Exactly, those are the two closest cities to B'more, especially the former. DC and Balty are two very different cities and it's almost pointless to claim that one is "better" than the other. DC itself is a very unique city which doesn't really resemble any other city.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:20 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
It's really inaccurate to portray DC as "smaller" than Baltimore. DC's size is artificially constrained--it can annex no land and thus cannot grow as most other cities can. (In fact, both Alexandria and Arlington--two populous areas--were at one time part of the District proper, and were later retroceeded to Virginia). Even still, the population within the District's boundaries is only approximately 40,000 smaller than Baltimore--despite having nearly 25% less land.

DC's metro area is also nearly twice the size of Baltimore's.
Well They are usually considered in the same metro, in which case it would make more sense to say Baltimore is Bigger (even though it always technically makes sense)

Baltimore is not part of any county, therefore, in the exact same way, Baltimore can not annex either - last annex was almost 100 years ago (i believe)

45,000 (45 086 technically) is still a large amount in difference, but not that significant

If you split the metros, obviously its bigger, but most put them into one

Old 10-02-2009, 03:19 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Well They are usually considered in the same metro, in which case it would make more sense to say Baltimore is Bigger (even though it always technically makes sense)
But Baltimore is by no means the main economic driver of the DC-Balt region, it is a distant second to DC. And its metro population is nearly half of DC's. So 45,086 more people within the city limits or not, it's not the "bigger" city. Regardless, this point may soon become moot if DC proper's population growth trend continues.

A case in point of this argument is Columbus, Ohio. Looking purely at the city's population, Columbus looks like it would be one of the nation's major cities. It has more people than cities such as Atlanta, Denver, Boston, Seattle, DC, St. Louis and Pittsburgh. But while the city may technically be bigger than those others I listed, that is misleading. You can't simply look at the population within a city proper in order to determine how "big" a city is, because so many other factors are at play.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:46 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times
Baltimore is actually very similar to Cincinnati, Cleveland, Buffalo and, to a lesser extent, Pittsburgh.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:48 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times
To say that DC is "smaller" than Baltimore is a misnomer. Yes, DC may have a slightly smaller city proper population, but the metro area is about twice Baltimore's size and with a much bigger national profile.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
But Baltimore is by no means the main economic driver of the DC-Balt region, it is a distant second to DC. And its metro population is nearly half of DC's. So 45,086 more people within the city limits or not, it's not the "bigger" city. Regardless, this point may soon become moot if DC proper's population growth trend continues.

A case in point of this argument is Columbus, Ohio. Looking purely at the city's population, Columbus looks like it would be one of the nation's major cities. It has more people than cities such as Atlanta, Denver, Boston, Seattle, DC, St. Louis and Pittsburgh. But while the city may technically be bigger than those others I listed, that is misleading. You can't simply look at the population within a city proper in order to determine how "big" a city is, because so many other factors are at play.
Nobody said it was the main economic 'driver'. Its just larger within the city

You keep describing them as separate metros, while i describe them as one, because they are completely connected. Obviously our different viewpoints on them will effect how we think as being larger

Its still noteworthy to point out that Baltimore has a larger population than DC . Bigger doesn't always mean better though, and many people have a problem understand this, not that you do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City