Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is Baltimore most like?
Denver 2 2.13%
Minneapolis 3 3.19%
Saint Louis 50 53.19%
San Diego 1 1.06%
Tampa 2 2.13%
other 36 38.30%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:11 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
You keep describing them as separate metros, while i describe them as one, because they are completely connected.
I think this is debatable. To say that they are completely connected implies that each has some sort of reliance on the other--the Twin Cities, for example. But, to me, DC and Baltimore are simply two large cities that happen to be in close proximity to each other. Their economies are driven by different things, their cultures are very different, and I don't see one functioning in any fundamentally different way if the other was not there.

The U.S. census bureau also maintains separate MSAs for DC and Baltimore, even though they are occasionally linked together. When I'm in Baltimore, I feel like I'm in a very different place than when I am in DC--in other words, I don't feel much of a connection between the two at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
^ They have completely different cultures and don't have all that much in common, yes, but by connected, i mean sprawl (yuk)

We will never agree if we have different viewpoints like we do

From your perspective, i would agree with you on all points you've made though

Old 10-03-2009, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,640 times
How is Baltimore in DC shadow, the two cities are nothing alike except for all those colored people in the ghetto. DC is the capitol of America and Baltimore is a gritty hard working blue collar town. DC is full of lawyers and lobbyists and Baltimore is full of the working man, the ones that work that is.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBGood View Post
How is Baltimore in DC shadow, the two cities are nothing alike except for all those colored people in the ghetto. DC is the capitol of America and Baltimore is a gritty hard working blue collar town. DC is full of lawyers and lobbyists and Baltimore is full of the working man, the ones that work that is.
I agree, but don't like the racial tones in your post ("all those colored people in the ghetto") and although Baltimore is a blue-collar town, unlike DC it is rapidly moving away from that (even quicker than say Pittsburgh), but even still isn't comparable to DC.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:45 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
^ The guy is a racist troll if you've looked at his posts. Ive refrained from even responding to him

Old 10-04-2009, 11:22 AM

25 posts, read 56,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Baltimore is its own complete entity. In no way could it be considered to be in D.C.'s "shadow".

D.C. is neither large enough nor important enough to have a shadow.

Baltimore also is not particularly well known. It's smallish and unremarkable.

"D.C. is neither large enough nor important enough to have a shadow. "

Are you kidding? This is a joke, right? DC is the capital of country and the 6th or 7th largest metro in the country. Are you a foreigner? If yes, I'll excuse your answer and rack it up to ignorance.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:08 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Baltimore does have its own identity, culture etc.

But the more I live in the area (and look for homes between the cities), the more I can tell that the Baltimore area tends to be more of a second city to DC than its own stand alone city.

That's not to say that Baltimore would not be just fine without DC. I'm saying that the way the area is growing and how people commute and how people identify themsleves within the area (DC or Baltimore), DC is by far THE city. Even in suburbs that are much closer to Baltimore, they seem to have more people commuting to the DC area and more people seem to indentify themselves with DC than Baltimore.

Now, I'm sure this is not the case for suburbs on the other side of Baltimore, but that's what I get from areas like Howard and AA Counties.

Baltimore seems like a larger version of St Paul, only much more crime and blight.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:32 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBGood View Post
How is Baltimore in DC shadow, the two cities are nothing alike except for all those colored people in the ghetto.
What year is it, 1958?

Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 AM

656 posts, read 1,420,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I think this is debatable. To say that they are completely connected implies that each has some sort of reliance on the other--the Twin Cities, for example. But, to me, DC and Baltimore are simply two large cities that happen to be in close proximity to each other. Their economies are driven by different things, their cultures are very different, and I don't see one functioning in any fundamentally different way if the other was not there.

The U.S. census bureau also maintains separate MSAs for DC and Baltimore, even though they are occasionally linked together. When I'm in Baltimore, I feel like I'm in a very different place than when I am in DC--in other words, I don't feel much of a connection between the two at all.
That is true, one has to use the CSA to include baltimore, it seems as if baltimore's connection with D.C. is more in line with government jobs and proximity as well as being in maryland and not extremely far away, however I wouldn't say they have much in common as major cities in proximity.

To give a very great example, think howard county, its close to both D.C. and baltimore , in a way part influence does end up in baltimore although its distant, when one starts talking govt jobs, john hopkins, health care, and howard county then one can see the D.C. connection. It seems to have things in common rather than direct influence, having things in common because it operates on the stretch or the way to D.C.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:35 AM

656 posts, read 1,420,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Exactly, those are the two closest cities to B'more, especially the former. DC and Balty are two very different cities and it's almost pointless to claim that one is "better" than the other. DC itself is a very unique city which doesn't really resemble any other city.
I agree that Newark, does have a lot of things in common with Baltimore, such as the history and attempts at revitalization, as well as being distinct aka with its own airport and universities.

Come to think of it , Newark does have its own port, and does have a geographic layout similar to Baltimore a port on the inner rivers and not directly on the ocean , yet its far from new york city enough so to be a bit distinct in influence as jersey city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City