Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is Baltimore most like?
Denver 2 2.13%
Minneapolis 3 3.19%
Saint Louis 50 53.19%
San Diego 1 1.06%
Tampa 2 2.13%
other 36 38.30%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:23 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
I agree that Newark, does have a lot of things in common with Baltimore, such as the history and attempts at revitalization, as well as being distinct aka with its own airport and universities.

Come to think of it , Newark does have its own port, and does have a geographic layout similar to Baltimore a port on the inner rivers and not directly on the ocean , yet its far from new york city enough so to be a bit distinct in influence as jersey city.
Exactly. In addition to New York, Baltimore shares even more in common with Philly. If the city was exactly midway between DC and Philly, the tie between the latter two would be much larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
That is true, one has to use the CSA to include baltimore, it seems as if baltimore's connection with D.C. is more in line with government jobs and proximity as well as being in maryland and not extremely far away, however I wouldn't say they have much in common as major cities in proximity.

To give a very great example, think howard county, its close to both D.C. and baltimore , in a way part influence does end up in baltimore although its distant, when one starts talking govt jobs, john hopkins, health care, and howard county then one can see the D.C. connection. It seems to have things in common rather than direct influence, having things in common because it operates on the stretch or the way to D.C.
Yeah, sometimes it amazes me how much DC and Baltimore are alienated from each other. The two Beltways are only 25 miles apart--a 20 min. drive--yet it seems like it's 100. There's nothing but suburbs between the two cities, so they're directly connected but it doesn't feel that way. You're definitely right about Howard County. To me it's really the only "shared suburb" between the two cities. Baltimore County is the state's 3rd largest county with a pop. of ~800K, yet I once met someone who didn't even know it existed (actually I think he may have been from NoVa but whatever).

Unless it's a serious item, the Wash. Post and other local media strictly keep their reporting to Frederick, Montgomery, and PG Counties, as well as Southern MD. They report on the Baltimore Ravens as if they were the Oakland Raiders and usually turn to the AP, although there is still limited coverage of the Orioles and Navy. Even more amazing is that they'll report on teams as far away as UVA (115 miles) and Virginia Tech (270 miles!), about the distance to Philadelphia and New York respectively. Maybe if DC was actually part of MD it wouldn't be that way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 AM

515 posts, read 1,059,576 times
I have lived for a long time in the DC area and never saw Baltimore as a "step child" of DC. Lol. I have always seen it as a totally distinct urban area with its own style and feel. If I had to compare it with another city, I guess I would proabably chose one of the old rust belt cities like Pittsburgh or maybe Cleaveland.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:06 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,658,144 times
I would consider the neighborhoods of Baltimore like NJ or bronx somewhere rough around the edges and that type of urban culture....I would consider the neighborhoods of D.C like an up north N.O or southside Chicago kind of southern feel but northern in location

Old 10-05-2009, 03:22 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
edit

Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I would consider the neighborhoods of D.C like an up north N.O or southside Chicago kind of southern feel but northern in location
Wow, you couldn't be more off. DC = New Orleans and Chicago's south side? Have you ever been here?

Old 10-05-2009, 10:19 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
I would consider the neighborhoods of Baltimore like NJ or bronx somewhere rough around the edges and that type of urban culture....I would consider the neighborhoods of D.C like an up north N.O or southside Chicago kind of southern feel but northern in location
i agree, and that's a compliment imo. great, great urbans cities. rough around the edges no doubt, but still great

i don't know where you got that list - Denver, Minneapolis? San Diego? why not Salt Lake City

Old 10-15-2009, 06:36 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

[quote=boreatwork;11057938]I would consider the neighborhoods of Baltimore like NJ or bronx somewhere rough around the edges and that type of urban culture....I would consider the neighborhoods of D.C like an up north N.O or southside Chicago kind of southern feel but northern in location[/quote

I guess im referring mostly to Northeast and Southeast D.C....Baltimore's inner city rough neighborhoods HAVE NO GRASS at all

Old 10-15-2009, 08:41 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
[quote=boreatwork;11207853]
Quote:
I would consider the neighborhoods of Baltimore like NJ or bronx somewhere rough around the edges and that type of urban culture....I would consider the neighborhoods of D.C like an up north N.O or southside Chicago kind of southern feel but northern in location[/quote

I guess im referring mostly to Northeast and Southeast D.C....Baltimore's inner city rough neighborhoods HAVE NO GRASS at all
that's because its a CITY

Old 10-16-2009, 03:14 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
I never been to a rough neighborhood that has a lot of grass, in any city, to be honest

Strange post

Old 10-16-2009, 03:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Default I agree..

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i agree, and that's a compliment imo. great, great urbans cities. rough around the edges no doubt, but still great

i don't know where you got that list - Denver, Minneapolis? San Diego? why not Salt Lake City
..using Denver, Minneapolis, San Diego and Tampa as comparisons? Pretty silly.

You really only needed 2 other cities for a comparison: Philly and DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City