Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Select all states that fit your definition of "west coast"
California 40 60.61%
Oregon 3 4.55%
Washington 11 16.67%
Hawaii 0 0%
Alaska 2 3.03%
Arizona 4 6.06%
Nevada 2 3.03%
Idaho 1 1.52%
Montana 0 0%
Wyoming 0 0%
Utah 1 1.52%
Colorado 1 1.52%
New Mexico 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:32 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,557,091 times

Advertisements

Come on, people. We're talking about the West Coast, so therefore, it's California, Oregon, and Washington. Just those three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
I go with Jumpman's first tier, with HI included as the second in the list.

... I think NV is just considered part of the West, not the coast... in my mind, anyway. *friendly smile!*

Kate

Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This is a bit different. A section of Pennsylvania is near Delaware Bay, or just is on the Delaware estuary thereby having a coast, and Vermont is near enough to the ocean to be effected by hurricanes. The West Coast states go inland enough that the landlocked states that border them are not influenced by the coast in the same way. And that has a cultural element in that having port cities traditionally brought in more foreign trade and immigration. Nevada, Arizona, or Idaho did not (so far as I know) have something like nineteenth century San Francisco.

It's also different culturally. Arizona and Nevada were largely desert so strong settlement is, I believe, more recent exempting mining towns. Perhaps Nevada works in some ways, but even then I have my doubts.
Nevada and Arizona are heavily populated by CA ex-pats. They have plenty to do with the similarities in culture. There are of course differences between CA and those 2 states, but those differences are akin to the differences between NY and MD or ME. Culturally, those states are still very similar to CA, OR and WA. I believe ME is much more conservative than NY (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm just using this example for the sake of argument), similar to how AZ is much more so than CA, but all are still part of their respective coasts culturally.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
If we are talking geographically, the answer is obvious: CA, WA and OR. If we are talking culturally, the answer is not so obvious. WA and OR are very different culturally than is CA. And Northern CA is very different culturally than Southern CA. Both differ markedly from the Central Valley, the Cascades, and the desert.

Last edited by Ben Around; 09-01-2009 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Anything west of the Cascade Mountains. Once you go east of this mountain range, the biosphere changes to intermontaine. It's kind of a cop-out answer, but I think it narrows down the geography on a physical level, rather than a political one. Culturally, as well. We put too much stock in land-based, political boundaries in this country. The real answer lies more within physical barriers, such as rivers and mountains.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 AM

13 posts, read 44,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
And Northern CA is very different culturally than Southern CA. .
Not really.

Weather(in some parts, yes)...but the differences aren't that big. Norcaler's are just as materialistic as SoCaler's (not a bad thing) ..its just they show it in different ways. The same "get ahead" culture as well as "laid back" thing is prevalent in both

Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Damn I wish I hadn't screwed up the poll, it would have been an interesting one.

Again, I think there is enough cultural diversity in the west for Nevada, Arizona, and I suppose Idaho to be included. I mean Idaho probably doesn't have much in common with Los Angeles but its virtually indistinguishable from parts of eastern Oregon and Washington.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 PM

339 posts, read 2,204,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Damn I wish I hadn't screwed up the poll, it would have been an interesting one.

Again, I think there is enough cultural diversity in the west for Nevada, Arizona, and I suppose Idaho to be included. I mean Idaho probably doesn't have much in common with Los Angeles but its virtually indistinguishable from parts of eastern Oregon and Washington.
why don't you get a mod to lock this and then remake it properly? I'm interested in this as well b/c even as a west coaster, I kind of wonder if we consider AZ/NV to be our kind xD

Old 09-01-2009, 12:25 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
well our state borders AZ and the last thing I think is West Coast, AZ is Southwest

Old 09-01-2009, 12:26 PM

318 posts, read 950,525 times
I don't know why people are throwing in inland states. Geographically, the term 'West Coast' is pretty cut and dry, meaning any state is along the western coast of the United States. If you want to talk about the 'West Coast' as a culture, that's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City