Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Select all states that fit your definition of "west coast"
California 40 60.61%
Oregon 3 4.55%
Washington 11 16.67%
Hawaii 0 0%
Alaska 2 3.03%
Arizona 4 6.06%
Nevada 2 3.03%
Idaho 1 1.52%
Montana 0 0%
Wyoming 0 0%
Utah 1 1.52%
Colorado 1 1.52%
New Mexico 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:26 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
So? Oregon and Washington (and even sometimes Idaho) are labeled the "pacific northwest", but they're also the "west coast". Some places can be categorized into more than one region. Put it this way, if someone from Phoenix or Las Vegas or Boise was at a party in Chicago and said they're from the "west coast" I don't think anybody (myself and many other fellow west-coast dwellers included) would raise an eyebrow.

And yes, I meant to say "states", not "cities". Hardy har har.
I think I would raise my eyebrow if someone from Bosie was trying to say they were from the West Coast Nevada doesn't bother me so much because in some locations in the state they are only a few hours away from the Ocean....Bosie, ehh not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 AM

58 posts, read 123,077 times
ca, or, wa, hi, nv, co, az & ak

Old 09-02-2009, 05:32 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
I think I would raise my eyebrow if someone from Bosie was trying to say they were from the West Coast Nevada doesn't bother me so much because in some locations in the state they are only a few hours away from the Ocean....Bosie, ehh not so much.
Idaho is indeed accepted as part of the "Pacific" Northwest. As for Nevada, Reno is further west than Los Angeles!

Old 09-02-2009, 05:34 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,826,722 times
Who voted for Utah

Old 09-02-2009, 05:52 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Your title question refers to the 'west coast' so obviously, for the 48 states, it's CA, OR and WA... But you could add in Alaska and the western shores of the Hawaiian Islands if you wanted.

If you're talking abut 'the west' in general, it gets more arbitrary, but most would agree that that includes (at least): AK, HI, CA, OR, WA, ID, NV, AR, NM, UT, CO, WY and MT

The 'Old West also would have included, OK, TX, KS, NE, SD and ND as well as portions of MO, AR, LA, IA, MN, WI, MI, IL and IN -- but those would all be considered part of the 'midwest' today.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:17 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Your title question refers to the 'west coast' so obviously, for the 48 states, it's CA, OR and WA... But you could add in Alaska and the western shores of the Hawaiian Islands if you wanted.

If you're talking abut 'the west' in general, it gets more arbitrary, but most would agree that that includes (at least): AK, HI, CA, OR, WA, ID, NV, AR, NM, UT, CO, WY and MT

The 'Old West also would have included, OK, TX, KS, NE, SD and ND as well as portions of MO, AR, LA, IA, MN, WI, MI, IL and IN -- but those would all be considered part of the 'midwest' today.
Correct...St. Louis, MO, "Gateway to the West".

Old 09-02-2009, 08:39 PM

358 posts, read 754,666 times
Maybe I'm old school, but only CA, OR and WA are what I consider West Coast.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 PM

47 posts, read 116,079 times
Has anyone ever been to Winnemucca, NV? or Elko, Caliente, Pioche or any other part of Nevada that's not Tahoe, Vegas, or along the CA/NV border?

I think the geography, weather, culture, and politics of those areas consider NV a "western" state, not a "west coast" state, and if you've ever travelled thru Winnemucca or Elko you'd know what I mean, 'cause they certainly don't converse with you as if you've got the "west coast" in common.

To say that NV is a "west coast" state because of all the CA visitors to Tahoe and Vegas is akin to saying Northern Mexico is part of the United States because of all the U.S. visitors to Tijuana, Ensenada, Juarez, Mexicali, Nogales, and all the other border towns. I mean, hey, if you live in IB (that's Imperial Beach, CA), TJ's (that's Tijuana) just the next offramp south, so I guess that means TJ's part of the U.S., 'cause every weekend thousands of Southern Californians go to TJ to shop, party, right?

I think the thing to do is determine just exactly what does "west coast" mean? What are the determinants?

I don't think border towns should be the only consideration in determining the status of an entire state. But, hey, what do I know?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:26 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
who in the hell picked Utah???

Old 09-02-2009, 11:31 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
So? Oregon and Washington (and even sometimes Idaho) are labeled the "pacific northwest", but they're also the "west coast". Some places can be categorized into more than one region. Put it this way, if someone from Phoenix or Las Vegas or Boise was at a party in Chicago and said they're from the "west coast" I don't think anybody (myself and many other fellow west-coast dwellers included) would raise an eyebrow.

And yes, I meant to say "states", not "cities". Hardy har har.

its not the same thing, OR and WA is the West Coast and it is the Pacific NW but AZ is a Southwestern state and a Western state just like NV but it is not part of the West Coast.

just like Tennessee is the Southeast and the South but it is not the East Coast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City