Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
As was I, you could swap OSu with Iowa or with Florida or with North Southwestern Comm College with U of Phoenix etc.

I think you just missed my point
yes, but with so many now (at least here) putting caps on admissions, if you only have the one, your out of luck, or have to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scioto View Post
There are more choices in Columbus besides Ohio State...Columbus has many other colleges in the area to pick from.
But not public and at graduate level. and OSU was just used as an example to stand for any place that has just the one major school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 AM

53 posts, read 215,596 times
"But not public and at graduate level. and OSU was just used as an example to stand for any place that has just the one major school."

True most of the other colleges in the Columbus area are private, and can be very expensive.
However several of the private institutions/universities in the area do offer many graduate programs.

OSU for example like you were saying does take the majority of attention in a city. I think it can be either a good or bad thing. For myself I prefer small to medium sized universities.

Last edited by scioto; 09-03-2009 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
yes, but with so many now (at least here) putting caps on admissions, if you only have the one, your out of luck, or have to wait.

But not public and at graduate level. and OSU was just used as an example to stand for any place that has just the one major school.
this is a problem right now for even the brightest students... if admissions are capped you are SOL.
Also the problem going on now is, even if you are in, lots of classes got cut so you can't even get in. I know somebody who could only get into ONE class she actually needed this past semester at a major school and was planning on taking full load.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
this is a problem right now for even the brightest students... if admissions are capped you are SOL.
Also the problem going on now is, even if you are in, lots of classes got cut so you can't even get in. I know somebody who could only get into ONE class she actually needed this past semester at a major school and was planning on taking full load.
Yeah that's what sucks about some colleges. Your required to take certain classes ,but they get full so quick. I registered early at Texas Southern (school of about 9000 students) and two of the classes I needed were capped. The classes that go the fastest are the core classes.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah that's what sucks about some colleges. Your required to take certain classes ,but they get full so quick. I registered early at Texas Southern (school of about 9000 students) and two of the classes I needed were capped. The classes that go the fastest are the core classes.
sucks man, really there is nothing u can do either, even if you are on early registration doesn't help sometimes. I remember it happening *sometimes* on like ONE class I might have wanted when I was in school but talking to people now it is outrageous. These people have their life on hold and are pushing back their graduation time because of bureaucracy

Old 09-03-2009, 06:51 PM

93,237 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Syracuse has both. We have Syracuse University, which is known for it's communications, education, architecture and social science programs and sports. Then, we have LeMoyne College, a small Jesuit college, that actually has a good sports program that is going D1 for all sports in a couple of years and is good for those going into education and business. They aren't too far from each other on the East side of the city, which is the nicest and maybe the most "diverse" part of town too.

Anyway, I think both are fine options for local people, but also for those from outside the area, with SU having an international flavor to it as well.

We also have three SUNY 4 year campuses within 45 minutes of Syracuse too(Oswego, Cortland and Morrisville).

Can't forget that very good private schools like Colgate University and Cazenovia College are also in the Syracuse metro area too. There are 2 community colleges in the area too(Onondaga and Cayuga).

Old 09-04-2009, 07:52 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
Lexington KY has both. University of Kentucky w/ 29,000 students + Transylvania Univ 1,500 students + community college w/ 8,000 students in the city and 2 public universities and 5 private colleges in the surrounding metro area.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:05 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
The Minneapolis area has one, very large university (U of M 51,000+, which usually ranks between #1 and #4) and several, smaller universities and colleges.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:24 PM

17 posts, read 36,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I mean what kind of name recognition do you want? That they have a nice football program and you see a lot of t-shirts? Most competent HR people know the difference in Amherst vs. University of Nebraska for example, as do graduate advisors...
The second richest American, Warren Buffett, would not appreciate your dissing his undergraduate alma mater, which was not Amherst.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:37 AM

93,237 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Syracuse has both. We have Syracuse University, which is known for it's communications, education, architecture and social science programs and sports. Then, we have LeMoyne College, a small Jesuit college, that actually has a good sports program that is going D1 for all sports in a couple of years and is good for those going into education and business. They aren't too far from each other on the East side of the city, which is the nicest and maybe the most "diverse" part of town too.

Anyway, I think both are fine options for local people, but also for those from outside the area, with SU having an international flavor to it as well.

We also have three SUNY 4 year campuses within 45 minutes of Syracuse too(Oswego, Cortland and Morrisville).

Can't forget that very good private schools like Colgate University and Cazenovia College are also in the Syracuse metro area too. There are 2 community colleges in the area too(Onondaga and Cayuga).
Forgot these 2 SUNY campuses in the city: ESF | SUNY-ESF | College of Environmental Science and Forestry

SUNY Upstate Medical University
(Le Moyne changed in terms of sports, still D2)

Anyway, unless a place is strictly a college town or a small town/city with a small college, most other places will have multiple colleges/universities. Even some college towns like Ithaca or Amherst MA will have multiple colleges/universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City