Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Ummmm....NO!!! There is no way in hell I will ever associate myself with the cheeseheads to the east.
..are pretty close to each other in demographics and culture; it's not a far-fetched idea, in theory..

BTW, someone mentioned combining VT with NH , partly because of having similar values; well, NH is changing, and becoming more "blue", but I still say that it's the most conservative state in New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Ummmm....NO!!! There is no way in hell I will ever associate myself with the cheeseheads to the east.
Sometimes I'm embarrassed that I'm originally from Minnesota.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:30 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,357 times
Just as I'm embaressed that I live within ten miles of the Wisconsin border. It's sad really, that in order to enjoy all the benefits of living in Minnesota that you have to live so close to That State.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:14 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I studied history and know why the UP belongs to MI. But the reasoning behind it was nonsensical. Even without the UP, Michigan would be the same size as Indiana or Ohio. But much of the UP (at least the western half) has more in common with Green Bay or Wisocnsin and roots for the Packers than it does with cities in lower MI and cheering for the Lions.
Cheering for the Lions makes little sense no matter where you live!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:21 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,718 times
Quote:
Just as I'm embaressed that I live within ten miles of the Wisconsin border. It's sad really, that in order to enjoy all the benefits of living in Minnesota that you have to live so close to That State.
I'm curiuos. What's wrong with WI?

I think St. Louis should disassociate itself from MO.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:28 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Cheering for the Lions makes little sense no matter where you live!

I tell my cousin this all the time, but he is a Michigander to the bone.

Don't let it be a U of Michigan/Michigan State game at their house either. Oh boy...

Old 09-10-2009, 09:42 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post

It's just a Minnesota thing. They like to think they're better. Minnesota is a much larger state (83,574 land square miles) with a population of 5,220,393. The Twin Cities metro population is 3.2 million, so that only leaves 2 million for the rest of the state.

Wisconsin is 54,314 land square miles, and has a population of 5,627,967. Milwaukee's metro is 1.965 million, so the rest of the state has over 3.5 million (in a much smaller area). Plus, the Milwaukee metro touches the Chicago metro.

If you ever read the Star Tribune (Minneapolis), you will see how they always bash Wisconsin. They like to think they're better. Outside of the Twin Cities, there really are a lot of small towns and countryside (which I don't mind).

Wisconsin's whole eastern border is Lake Michigan - Minnesota can't touch that. Also, Wisconsin is a huge tourist destination from Chicago. Outside of the Twin Cities, Minnesota has Duluth. Wisconsin has Madison, and many other cities that are much more populous than any cities outside of the Twin Cities in Minnesota.

I didn't start this - someone from Minnesota did. I never will bash a state initially, but I will defend mine. I'm originally from Minnesota, and have no desire to ever live there again. I go to the Twin Cities now and then, but Milwaukee and Chicago are much my preference (I love Lake Michigan).

I'm not that familiar with Minnesota vacation destinations, but I don't believe they have anything close to Wisconsin's Door County.

I think the crux of this Minnesotan bashing Wisconsin is the Viking/Packer rivalry. They like to take the rivalry to the limit. If you are a regular follower of the Star Tribune, this bashing from Minnesota would come as no surprise.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post

Just as Chicago should disassociate itself from IL. I think Chicago belongs in Wisconsin...it's close enough anyway to that state.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,357 times
Quote:
If you ever read the Star Tribune (Minneapolis), you will see how they always bash Wisconsin. They like to think they're better.
Quote:
I think the crux of this Minnesotan bashing Wisconsin is the Viking/Packer rivalry. They like to take the rivalry to the limit. If you are a regular follower of the Star Tribune, this bashing from Minnesota would come as no surprise.
Cause obviously it doesn't go both ways...

Quote:
I'm not that familiar with Minnesota vacation destinations, but I don't believe they have anything close to Wisconsin's Door County.
I'll take the Duluth and the North Shore over Door County anyday.

Quote:
Also, Wisconsin is a huge tourist destination from Chicago.
And Minnesota's tourist destinations don't depend on residents from another state to keep them running. Without Chicago, Wisconsin would be nothing.

Quote:
I didn't start this - someone from Minnesota did.
I didn't start it, I just said I would never ever want the two state's to combine.

Quote:
I think the crux of this Minnesotan bashing Wisconsin is the Viking/Packer rivalry.
Do you really wanna go there?

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2009/08/brett-favre-vikings-jersey.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-10-2009, 07:29 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,989 times
IMO I think California is waaaaay to big of a state to add on, population wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City