Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:18 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times

Advertisements

Man, we've got our work cut out for us here in Charlotte. But I'm confident we'll get through this and continue to diversify our local economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 12:32 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
I can't believe NYC still doing relative well compare to other big cities. But what is happening in LA?
The big financial bailouts (whatever one's opinion of them might be) would probably have something to do with that...

Old 09-05-2009, 04:10 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
The big financial bailouts (whatever one's opinion of them might be) would probably have something to do with that...
Highly unlikely, as financial services do not constitute a huge proportion of the metropolitan job numbers.

And there was no "financial bailout". There were loans given by the government to certain financial entities, which are being paid back, and with high interest rates.

The government is making billions off the "financial rescue." It's the many healthy banks that were forced to take the loans that have been punished.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:45 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually Houston had a net loss. Meaning even after you factor in job creation-you still ended the time period with a loss of 80,000 jobs.
Oh ok, I didn't realize that was the way it was factored.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Actually Houston had a net loss. Meaning even after you factor in job creation-you still ended the time period with a loss of 80,000 jobs.
Do you know if they have a way of knowing if the jobs that were lost were economy related and those not related to the economy?

Old 09-05-2009, 04:53 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Do you know if they have a way of knowing if the jobs that were lost were economy related and those not related to the economy?
I'm not sure I understand your question.

Usually job creation and loss is related to the overall state of the economy.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your question.

Usually job creation and loss is related to the overall state of the economy.
People getting fired due to just being a bad employee. Those who leave a job in order to find a better job or because they don't want to work anymore. Those that were hired temporarily because it was a seasonal job or they were a hired through a temp agency. I can think of several reasons why someone would lose their job and it not be because of the poor economy affecting business and leading to cut backs. Some people are just terrible at running a company or business and that's why it fails and results in job losses.

That's all I meant.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:41 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Wow! Syracuse isn't doing as bad as people here make it out to be. It is #15 on that list and luckily, the area has diversified itself enough to keep from getting hit as hard as other places in the state and country. Once a major manufacturing area(and to a good degree, still is), it is now transitioning more towards health care, higher education, green jobs and even some technical positions. Here's a good place to check out jobs in the area: Central New York Jobs

Old 09-06-2009, 12:41 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
For the longest, Houston was doing better that that. I wonder what changed?
Energy took a hit and Hurricane Ike sure didn't help.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Energy took a hit and Hurricane Ike sure didn't help.
No, I mean more recent than that. Houston was statistically doing better than DFW up until about 2-3 months ago. Up until then Houston had lower unemployment and was losing jobs at a slower pace. Something has happened (though Im not sure what) in the last three months or so that has hit Houston hard. Up until then, they were doing quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City