Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,183,738 times

Advertisements

Italian beef dry, on garlic bread, with cheese and peppers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:17 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,396,420 times
Philly Cheese steak, Philadelphia cream cheese compared to everything yucky in Chicago. You don't need to live in Philly to appreciate the food they're popular for. Chicago isn't famous for anything except a bad airport.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:31 AM

14,198 posts, read 22,831,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Philly Cheese steak, Philadelphia cream cheese compared to everything yucky in Chicago. You don't need to live in Philly to appreciate the food they're popular for. Chicago isn't famous for anything except a bad airport.
Steakhouses and deep-dish pizza?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,537,869 times
Quote:
Right... Chicago, as one of the top 3 dining cities in this country, just has nothing to offer as far as fare. Your logic is impeccable.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,913,034 times
Quote:
hot dogs
deep dish pizza
italian beef/sausages
etc.

Does saying erraneous statements like this make you feel better for living where you do? Can't you appreciate that other places have things to offer over and above where you live?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,048,062 times
While the CS is likely better known, I have had some very good sandwiches in Chicago.

Also there are quite a few derivations of similar sandwiches to the Italian beef in Philly, not to mention great pork sandwiches.

But part of the fun of traveling is getting to sample the local cuisine, both high and low end.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:45 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,029,749 times
Quote:
Philadelphia Cream Cheese was actually originally made in New York. The name Philadelphia was chosen because Philadelphia in the late 19th century was viewed as the more cosmopolitan city known for it's high class dining. Imagine that!

Also even if it was originally from Philadelphia it's not exactly something I would think of today as indicative of Philadelphia cuisine, especially in a battle against Chicago. Philadelphia Cream Cheese is manufactured by Kraft foods which is headquartered in.... (drum roll) Chicago!

Irony.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:30 PM

314 posts, read 424,546 times
Quote:
I would agree with this if you replaced the word Chicago with Philly.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:17 PM

711 posts, read 1,501,688 times
I doubt Chicago has anything for (Pat's) in Philly...

Old 12-09-2011, 03:21 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,876,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwalk View Post
I love both, but if I had to choose, I'd pick the philly cheese steak. I'd never even heard of Italian beef until I moved to Illinois (and I'm Italian)! LOL

Now if we could only add giardiniera to the philly steak then it'd be perfection
I have not had a "real" cheesesteak, but somehow... I believe this to be the the truest thing written on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City