Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:12 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,344,437 times

Advertisements

Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA
Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH
Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA
Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD
Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA
Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL
Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA
St. Louis, MO-IL
Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ
Baltimore-Towson, MD
Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC
Orlando-Kissimmee, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Indianapolis-Carmel, IN
Columbus, OH
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
Jacksonville, FL
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC
Denver-Aurora, CO /1
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
Kansas City, MO-KS
Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN
San Antonio, TX -Round Rock, TX

Old 09-08-2009, 06:14 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,831,199 times
I don't agree come on Boston 8th we are not stressed

Old 09-08-2009, 08:35 PM

979 posts, read 2,095,011 times
^
The Red Sox could be contributing to that stress that Bostonians feel during baseball season.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:28 PM

121 posts, read 338,201 times
There seems to be a bias against urbanity/density in these "stress tests," in general. I could understand if the results focused on cities that had the highest unemployment, or the most crime, but the common thread linking the top rated cities seems to be density.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
There are studies indicating that density does relate to stress. I remember a test where they placed mice in a more crowded environment and they become more tense. Granted we're not mice, but our natural environment wasn't particularly dense. Living in densely populated cities is, I believe, fairly recent in our evolutionary history.

Granted people here seem to like density, but this could be due to demographics of this site. Those demographics are likely younger than the population as a whole among other factors. So they don't necessarily say anything about average human nature.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:01 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
The NYC area is #3, more people are stressed than others, I'm a very laid back person, if the NYC area was filled with people like me it would be at the bottom of the list.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
There are studies indicating that density does relate to stress. I remember a test where they placed mice in a more crowded environment and they become more tense. Granted we're not mice, but our natural environment wasn't particularly dense. Living in densely populated cities is, I believe, fairly recent in our evolutionary history.

Granted people here seem to like density, but this could be due to demographics of this site. Those demographics are likely younger than the population as a whole among other factors. So they don't necessarily say anything about average human nature.
I think cars and suburbs are newer...Density is what allowed stuff like the black plague to happen. I imagine ancient Egypt was pretty dense too.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:41 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think cars and suburbs are newer...Density is what allowed stuff like the black plague to happen. I imagine ancient Egypt was pretty dense too.
No. Throwing your chamber pots onto the sidewalk caused the Plague. I do, however, maintain my library of papyrus scrolls -- for nostalgia's sake.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:45 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
No. Throwing your chamber pots onto the sidewalk caused the Plague. I do, however, maintain my library of papyrus scrolls -- for nostalgia's sake.
I should have used the term spread. I stand corrected. Isn't fecal matter grand?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:03 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You have a bit of a point, but I'm thinking more in human history terms. Possibly cities from 1850-1950 were denser than today, uncertain, but I'd imagine cities today are denser than in 1400. There are more people and there's also the issue of food distribution. Before about 1800 you didn't have trains so I think feeding a large city would've been harder. So cities of a million was a huge thing then and I don't think the ones that made it were that much smaller in area than now. Also before the elevator high-rise apartments were somewhat impractical.

Still I have heard of pretty tightly packed ancient cities in places where land was at a premium or for defense purposes. Even then I have my doubts those cities were as crowded as those in the 20th-21st century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City