Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:23 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times

Advertisements

Racially tolerant? Probably either Houston, Seattle, Portland or Raleigh

Overall liberal? Definitely Portland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 12:40 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,021 times
San Francisco Bay Area by miles and miles. Although the most majors cities in the Weat coast are pretty good in this respect as well.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 PM

122 posts, read 381,803 times
San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento, Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver

Old 09-09-2009, 02:47 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post

I can only go by my experience (haven't been to every city in the country) but I say right here in Northern Virginia. I'd dare say that the suburbs as a whole are the new places for diversity and tolerance. Cities, at least with DC and to a lesser extent Atlanta and Manhattan, seem to lack safe middle class neighborhoods. You're either in an extremely wealthy area or extremely poor area there's no middle ground. Thus the lack of diversity in many cities.

Other places that bring diversity to my mind would be Brooklyn and Queens (NOT Manhattan) along with New Jersey and Long Island. I also think of Los Angeles. I hear Dallas and Houston are getting pretty diverse as well. Parts of suburban Atlanta are diverse but not all parts.
Not true at all in reality maybe its your experience but Manhattan alone was ranked 7th most diverse county in the country. Almost every single one of my schools were diverse. Manhattan is pretty safe. I live here.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:39 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diako_lorddm View Post
I think in San Fransisco
Isn't San Francisco trying to force blacks out? That's not very racially tolerant.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 PM

28 posts, read 69,561 times
Okeydoke. Thanks for so many great responses! I'm going to start to help you narrow it down. I've lived in the south, as well as on both coasts (east and west), in Chicago and in New England, among other places. Here are your choices (again, this is just my humble opinion). I'll share my #1 choice in the next day or so. They are (drumroll): Honolulu, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Orlando, Oakland, DC, Sacramento, Boston, Miami. Keep in mind, my choice does not only take diversity into account...some cities are very racially diverse, but it does not count as tolerance if races do not live together and have some level of civility towards one another. Only four cities really make my list (top 4), the others are just thrown in for the heck of it. What do you think? Do any of these cities resonate with you in the tolerance or racially liberal department? What would your top 4 be? You might disagree with my list altogether which is fine. My #1 (and ranking from 1 to 4) probably tomorrow.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,287 times
The Twin Cities have perhaps the highest ratio of interracial couples - its just not a big deal to see a white woman and a black man (or vice versa although not as common) and within the low-middle class and lower areas and inner ring suburbs you get a lot of mixed neighborhoods. Move out a distance though and the mixing kind of stops. Its not a race thing so much as cultural, however, since even whites from other parts of the country (outside of the upper midwest) tend to feel a bit frozen out as well, and generally there has not been a history of racial conflict. In the 90's there was a bit of a bad mood because there was a lot of immigration from places like Chicago and Indiana but I think that's mostly over with now.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:30 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominus View Post
San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento, Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver

Minneapolis has one of the highest(if not #1) black poverty rate for a major regional city. 45% of the city black population are in poverty. Another way to measure a city liberalism is seeing how successful minorities are doing in the city.

On the other hand Minneapolis is a good place for interracial dating.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-09-2009 at 09:46 PM..

Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Isn't San Francisco trying to force blacks out? That's not very racially tolerant.

Where did you hear that?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
I read this as "Radically tolerant" and I was thinking to myself, "how do you tolerate someone in a radical way?"

I would disagree that Albuquerque is that tolerant. It's true that Hispanic, Native, Asian, black, and white people can all live together in the same neighborhood with no problems, but people still get very 'sensitive' about Native Americans. I can't bring up anything do with Native America without most people saying something like "you know, I think the real problem with Native Americans is...." If all I said was "I'm going to a Native American art show downtown tomorrow", why are you starting to tell me how you would 'fix' Native America?

Maybe this is true of the rest of the US too, I dunno. I've only lived here in NM.
Hmm I was going on statistics and hadn't thought of the American Indian thing. I guess the OP being black I was thinking mostly on that. I have heard that parts of the West the American-Indian/Native-American thing is still a big deal. Where I'm at the people who say the most hostile things against blacks are often neutral to positive on indigenous peoples. Although sometimes that positivity strikes me as being potentially patronizing. (The image that they have some genetic ability at spirituality and natural wisdom when most native peoples are just folks with families who watch sports or drink beer or whatever. Albeit a bit poorer than most people on average)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City