Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:37 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Hrrm... lets be honest, I don't think anybody who lives in Chicago can tell you it isn't segregated with a straight face.

This is one of the major issues Chicago is dealing with up there along with the failing inner city public schools.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2...gregation2_gfx

straight from Chicago Tribune.

Not sure why this would be a surprise for anybody who knows American history... MLK said it was the most segregated city back in the 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 01:39 PM

195 posts, read 427,181 times
Minneapolis, MN the winner to me.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hrrm... lets be honest, I don't think anybody who lives in Chicago can tell you it isn't segregated with a straight face.
Who tried to? And what the hell does this have to do with the topic anyway? It's just another excuse for Osito to crapmouth Chicago. It's tiresome already.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Who tried to? And what the hell does this have to do with the topic anyway? It's just another excuse for Osito to crapmouth Chicago. It's tiresome already.
perhaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Uh, yeah... there are like, 8 black people in San Jose. It's easy to appear "integrated" when there isn't enough of a particular ethnicity to have its own section of town. Sacramento at least has some black people, but it's a pretty small portion of the population.

Now, what did you see when you went to Los Angeles, or San Francisco/Oakland?

Chicago is not much more or less segregated than any other old industrial city with a majority-minority population or close to it.
well it IS more, it is #1 in the united states..s it not ?
As somebody who has lived in both California and Chicago...the vibe and integration, general feel is much better in California than Chicago, very noticeable in day to day life, with hispanic population and asian as well as blacks. Just being honest. Chicago has a ton of different ethnic groups and race to be sure, but I never sensed they got along too well.

anyway, no biggie, that is just how it is.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:31 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,108 times
For a city to be truly integrated it would have to meet the following criteria:

1. Racial diversity: The city should have a good mix of races and ethnicities.
2. Integration: The city shouldn't have any segregated areas that have only the same race living their.
3. Minimal racial income difference: There shouldn't be a sizeable income gap between races of the city. For example, the average white person shouldn't be making almost twice as much as the average black person.

So, which city fits this criteria the most?

Old 09-11-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
For a city to be truly integrated it would have to meet the following criteria:

1. Racial diversity: The city should have a good mix of races and ethnicities.
2. Integration: The city shouldn't have any segregated areas that have only the same race living their.
3. Minimal racial income difference: There shouldn't be a sizeable income gap between races of the city. For example, the average white person shouldn't be making almost twice as much as the average black person.

So, which city fits this criteria the most?
no clue

wouldn't surprise me if it is like phoenix or something though. maybe orlando. one of the booming cities.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:09 PM

315 posts, read 666,639 times
Quote:
no clue

wouldn't surprise me if it is like phoenix or something though. maybe orlando. one of the booming cities.

Phoenix is not well-integrated. All you need to do is go to Guadalupe (in Tempe), Scottsdale, or Apache Junction if you have any doubts.

The economic schism separating whites from Mexicans is huge and the racism although not especially overt, is palpable. Take a stroll through Arizona Mills or the Fiesta Mall and compare the demographics there to, say, ASU or nearly anywhere in Scottsdale. Also, interracial dating and mingling is uncommon -- at least compared to more diverse cities on the west and east.

The irony is that although white Phoenicians love Mexican food, quite a lot of them (although not all) are wary of Mexicans. Granted, some of this animosity is not completely unexpected, given the state's illegal immigration problem.

And as I have alluded to, Phoenix is not very cosmopolitan. It has a relatively poor representation of blacks, asians, and non-Mexican hispanics compared to other major cities.

Despite being a much smaller city, Orlando is certainly more open-minded and is considerably more diverse in terms of its hispanic and black populations. Interracial dating also seems more common than in Phoenix. However, I wouldn't say it's particularly well-integrated either given it's low asian population as well and segregration... i.e. Compare Pine Hills, OBT, and Apopka compared, to say, Tuskawilla .

Keep in mind that I refer to city propers and surrounding suburbs in this post.

Last edited by Lancer78; 09-11-2009 at 04:34 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 04:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
perhaps

well it IS more, it is #1 in the united states..s it not ?
I guess it is according to your source -- which conveniently ranks segregation in order of black/white segregation as if integration with other races somehow doesn't count.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:55 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Daley the First built his power by packing poor blacks in projects in the Black Belt, and building walls around the white neighborhoods.

Daley the Second uses illegal TIF funding to kick poor blacks out of neighborhoods, and to replace them with 20-something yuppies from Iowa and Michigan.
That's your proof that Chicago is the most intolerant city in the US? You fail.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:55 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,964 times
Chicago is always ranked #1 most segregated city.

So it would rank as least racially tolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City