Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:00 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

JFK is pretty awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 05:45 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,114 times
Surprised noone's mentioned New Orleans.. by far, the crappiest one I've EVER been to in any country.. almost no vendors whatsoever, I barely found one food place in the terminal I was in - a dirty cajun eatery.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:53 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,612 times
My vote goes to LGA, given NYC's size. I was also unimpressed with Houston Hobby. Midway and Detroit metro were also pretty crappy prior to their renovations.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:04 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
My vote goes to LGA, given NYC's size. I was also unimpressed with Houston Hobby. Midway and Detroit metro were also pretty crappy prior to their renovations.
All true, but Detroit is MUCH improved.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:16 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I think that Lindbergh field is the busiest Single Runway airport in the country. Either San Diego or Ft. Lauderdale.

San Diego's airport has at least 3 terminals from what I remember.
San Diego has 2 regular terminals (Terminal 1 and 2) plus a commuter terminal. Terminal 1 is ok, but usually I flew Delta which was at the West Wing of Terminal 2, and always had a ridiculously long line for security that went all the way out to the other end of sky bridge (which is just as long as it was in Oct. 2001). This is because they only have 2 lanes. I always notice a lot of people who are running late for their flights trying to ask to get in front of people. Take this as advice if you're flying Delta out of San Diego. Give yourself enough time, don't be fooled because its a small airport and not a Delta hub.

LAX also had long lines at security. Overall, the way LAX is setup is similar to JFK, which each terminal has its own check-in counter, unlike airports such as Atlanta or Denver that have the main terminal and a train to the departure concourses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, from what I have seen the Northwest/Delta terminal in Detroit looks really nice. Last time I flew there in '06 I flew into the old terminal where Frontier and Southwest use, but I found out that terminal has been replaced.

Last edited by SEAandATL; 09-14-2009 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: more to add

Old 09-14-2009, 06:25 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You got that right. DTW went from being one of the crappiest airports in the country to easily one of the nicest. I mean it's seriously NICE. I love that psychedelic new age wavey music thing they play in the underground tunnel that connects the big concourse to the little one.

And I agree with you on JFK. It's a wretched airport to have to change planes.

Oh I thought of another big city airport that I absolutely despise. BWI. I haven't flown out of there very often, but every single time it took forever to get through security--and that was in the gold elite "express" line, too.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:58 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,565 times
Oakland's airport is pretty outdated. However I perfer to fly out of OAK then SFO because it is a easy airport to get around. I feel like I am in a maze at SFO

Old 09-15-2009, 12:27 AM

402 posts, read 852,989 times
Default Kc

I hate to bash other people's places, but the one airport that I hate is Kansas City's. It's not that physicaly its really bad (but not great either) but the design (in the post-security age) is awful. You can only get to a few gates per check-point. My gates had one men's and one women's room (with a line at both), and a snack stand. There isn't even a place to buy a paper. Almost every seat in the waiting area was full. And it's like 30+ minutes to downtown with no real connection. I don't find the other airports people are bashing to be bad. National is a very nice airport (unless your in Terminal A, then its baaad), Charlotte is good too.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:47 AM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
I hate to bash other people's places, but the one airport that I hate is Kansas City's. It's not that physicaly its really bad (but not great either) but the design (in the post-security age) is awful. You can only get to a few gates per check-point. My gates had one men's and one women's room (with a line at both), and a snack stand. There isn't even a place to buy a paper. Almost every seat in the waiting area was full. And it's like 30+ minutes to downtown with no real connection. I don't find the other airports people are bashing to be bad. National is a very nice airport (unless your in Terminal A, then its baaad), Charlotte is good too.
Yes, KC is an airport that is lost in time. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it is not user-friendly, for the same reasons you mentioned.

When it was built in the early 70's, we were living in a different world. The airport was actually built to be be convenient for KC point to point travelers, and there was certainly nothing wrong with that. But then, security became an issue, both in the 70's, then again in this decade. Add on the fact that TWA wanted to use KC as a hub, and then it all fell apart. The airport needs a complete re-build, but the economy has postponed that for many years. Someday, KC will have a modern airport to meet mid-21st century needs. It is going to be awhile, though.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:34 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Not sure why people are hating on O'Hare. When you live in Portland you get used to flying through other airports if you want to get to Europe or the east coast. For me it's usually through Chicago, Dallas, or Seattle. Of the three O'Hare is the best and its always my pleasure to fly through - clean, organized, updated.

LAX is pretty mediocre from the inside. MIA is a pretty airport on the interior but going through customs/immigration there was horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City