Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 11:55 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
JFK is pretty awful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
My vote goes to LGA, given NYC's size.
Can't agree more. It is kind of embarrassing for the country as a whole when NYC acts as a gateway city for international travel and receives all these UN politicians, businessmen, and other people outside the country, and they fly into these 3rd world 1960s airports like JFK and LGA. Honestly, I've been to third world countries that have better airports than NYC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 01:08 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yeah, and Rockford (around 400,000 in the area) and Gary also have airports that are trying to draw metro Chicago people away from Midway or O'hare to use their airports.

Rockford even calls their airport the Chicago/Rockford Airport. They're probably 30-40 miles northeast of the suburbs up there.

I think in the future there will be more to choose from depending on what side of the metro you live on.

O'hare
Midway
Rockford
Milwaukee
Gary
Peatone
There is no commercial air service out of Gary.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:31 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
LaGuardia is embarrassing. It is a third world airport, the fact that it is actually one of the busiest airports in the country is simply astounding. It is small and cramped and ugly while at the same time being insanely confusing. Getting to Downtown from LaGuardia is a Herculean feat considering the price of taxis and its isolation from public transport. Endless delays, no good food options, and astoundingly there is no free wi-fi, how tf can a major international airport in one of the biggest cities in the world not offer free wi-fi?? It really is a third world airport, but then again I've been to third world countries where the airports are nicer than this, so calling it third world may be generous

Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
It's been a few years since I flew into it but Charles de Gaulle in Paris was atrocious. Berlin Tegel is another nightmare of an airport for such an important city. The quagmire of Heathrow is also not a favorite of mine.
In the US, MIA is much, much improved since this thread was started. The American terminal was completely overhauled and their Skytrain service makes navigating the AA gates much easier. I agree with an earlier post in this thread that Charlotte-Douglas is looking a little long in the tooth. It's not horrendous but the last time I went through there the carpet was dingy and filthy and the low ceilings in much of the concourses made it feel dated.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:01 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
LaGuardia is embarrassing. It is a third world airport, the fact that it is actually one of the busiest airports in the country is simply astounding. It is small and cramped and ugly while at the same time being insanely confusing. Getting to Downtown from LaGuardia is a Herculean feat considering the price of taxis and its isolation from public transport. Endless delays, no good food options, and astoundingly there is no free wi-fi, how tf can a major international airport in one of the biggest cities in the world not offer free wi-fi?? It really is a third world airport, but then again I've been to third world countries where the airports are nicer than this, so calling it third world may be generous
After all of these years, relief is finally on the way: About the Airport - LaGuardia Airport - Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Kansas City has one of the worst in the nation for sure.

A few have mentioned Reagan (DCA). Maybe at one time but it just keeps getting better. They are constantly improving it and modernizing it.

They are about to start a new 1 billion dollar project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...-revamped.html

Old 03-21-2017, 12:22 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Laguardia is nothing less than tragic. There is just no other way to describe it. Absolutely diabolical

Old 03-21-2017, 01:12 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Laguardia is nothing less than tragic. There is just no other way to describe it. Absolutely diabolical
Newark (EWR) is nasty too. The New York metropolitan area has three international airports, and none of them are any good.

I flew into Detroit (DTW) in 2000, and their old terminal was a dump, but I heard their new terminal is nice.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:25 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

I flew into Detroit (DTW) in 2000, and their old terminal was a dump, but I heard their new terminal is nice.
The new terminal opened in 2001 and it's often quoted as being one of the nicest terminals people go to.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:08 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Newark (EWR) is nasty too. The New York metropolitan area has three international airports, and none of them are any good.

You realize that was 17 years ago right. That's a long time. Detroit has a really nice airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City