Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:32 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
Many people that I know in K.C. call it the white power district. No "urban" clothes allowed. It seems like the place for suburbanites to go and be "in the city" but not feel "uncomfortable".
The city council made them get rid of the dress code. The area is cool and pretty fun. I prefer the crossroads or westport personally but the P&L district offers a lit of variety and some great free concerts. It's been great for KC. I think the best part tho is that it's helped people discover other parts of the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 12:35 PM

620 posts, read 1,746,351 times
I have never been to the P&L in KC, but judging from the pictures I would never party there. Why not just go to the local Applebees and party there? It looks like a shopping mall or the Peachpit After Dark.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear182 View Post
I have never been to the P&L in KC, but judging from the pictures I would never party there. Why not just go to the local Applebees and party there? It looks like a shopping mall or the Peachpit After Dark.
Here are some better pics, they are from C-D poster kcmo. Also check out his album here: - Kansas City Photos, City Stock, Skyline, and Aerial Photography

The P&L district is mostly new, but it also rebuilt many areas of downtown KC that were historic, like AMC Theater and Midland Theater. The area is not just bars.

I don't know what would be considered the midwest entertainment center outside of Chicago... and as a native of KC I like Westport and the Crossroads art district (which Crossroads is just a couple blocks walk from P&L). That said P&L offers: Sprint Center, AMC Theater, Midland Theaters, bowling, Jones rooftop pool and lounge, free concerts (not just crappy no name bands), and nice selection of clubs/bars/resteraunts. It has a lax drinking atmosphere, you can buy beer walk around with it, no public drunkeness laws, etc.

It is definitely a place to go for entertainment.... is it for everyone? Nah... but It's been great for downtown KC, i'm glad it's there... and i'd say the majority of people like it (i'd also say the majority of people aren't snobs like C-D posters are, and yes i'm including me to some extent when it comes to urban development. People talk about blighted areas and restoration on these forums then get angry when a new area gets built, it's kinda wack....)

So.. yeah. it's not the same as a weekend at fricken Applebees.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:21 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,843,104 times
^^^

That looks really nice. Definately something for KC to be proud of. Do you know who the developer was for that?

Old 09-22-2009, 12:02 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Agreed. Looks great! thanks for the pics.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:13 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
The Power & Light district is neat, if not a bit generic. Several of the places are locally owned, I'm fairly certain. The Sprint Center is one of the highest grossing arenas in the world right now. How it compares to other cities in the midwest, well, I don't know and don't care. KC is a nice town in it's own right.Contrary to seemingly popular belief, there's other entertainment districts in Kansas City. Most of them I prefer over the P&L.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:38 PM

Cordish Company was the developer.

And yeah it's not all chains... locally owned places include:

The Jones Pool (maybe?? not sure), Consentinos Grocery, Mainstreet and Midland Theaters (maybe? AMC owns both and is HQ'd in downtown KC), Bristol Seafood Grill, Chefburger, Johnny's Tavern, Maker's Mark, Memas Bakery, The Mixx...

Old 09-22-2009, 04:20 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Not sure what the best Midwest entertainment district outside of Chicago would be, but I imagine most cities of similar size would also have similar nightlife districts downtown. Detroit is pretty sad for its size though. I might be wrong, but I think there are suburbs of Detroit that have better nightlife districts than the actual downtown.

Back in the 90's the Flats in Cleveland were absolutely crazy, and were even better than any nightlife district in Chicago. That is a thing of the past though. I used to hit up the Flats when I was just old enough to get into bars and clubs, but things fell apart shortly after that.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:28 AM

12 posts, read 31,518 times
ohh Power and Light.
Let me see, It makes me think of smarmy guys, trying to use lame tricks and pick up lines to get laid.
Girls who dress like they are interviewing for a spot on the reality show," The Prostitute"

over priced watered down drinks,

barfing bachelorettes,

on the prowl divorcees

The odor of too much after shave and purfume in the air mixed with the overwhelming odor of barf and booze.

Where the drunk annoying guys who talks too loud, screaming things like I LOVE PU$$Y, or I am a Pu$$y, come in droves as a pilgrimage to their Mecca, their Vatican City.

A place where parking places cost more than what you spend in gas for the whole month.

The birth place of many embarrassing Facebook photos.

The place where everyone feels that they are the best dancer in the world, IN THE WORLD, EVERYONE.

a magic place. LOL

Not the place to meet your future spouse, rather a NeverLand for drunks, geeks, those who choose not to grow up, women who choose to wear their underware on the outer, guys who refuse to let go of the pick up lines that have never worked, ever.

Great people watching, and if you're a guy or a girl, and you're feeling less than desired by the other sex, or what ever sex you prefer, in what ever combination of 2, 3's etc, you will be hit on, you will be "hollered at" you will be asked to go home by some one, I can assure you.

If you are feeling like a geek, or perhaps you may feel like you are the "easy" girl of your group, after a night in Power and Light, you will see someone who is geekier, nerdier than you, you will see the girl who is for sure easier than you, and you will come away with a renewed self esteem.

Just be sure to check the dress code: all who enter must dress similar, a code called "professional" an unspoken ethnicity and socio-economic uniform that is unless you are a female, in which case you must wear 90% less clothing than you have epidermal area.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:30 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
Is it true that kansas city's power and light district is the ideal entertainment district in the midwest or midwest excluding chicago? Why or why not?
I think Minneapolis, Cleveland, & St. Louis can give it some competition. But I don't know for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City