Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I would rather live in:
Westwood 16 31.37%
Greenwich Village 35 68.63%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:15 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Well lets think here NYC overall ranked higher than Los Angeles in Quality of Life, so the most logical thing would be that a neighborhood(especially in Manhattan) has a higher quality of life. You also have the proximity of many great neighborhoods.
which list do you speak? From what I saw New York was also low on that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 06:16 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
which list do you speak? From what I saw New York was also low on that list.
Mercer Quality of Life Survey Its low but its the base/standard for all cities on the list and LA is ranked below.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:22 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
I grew up in Greenwich Village back in the 60s. Great time to grow up there.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Mercer Quality of Life Survey Its low but its the base/standard for all cities on the list and LA is ranked below.
and so is pretty much every other major U.S. City. Sorry if I am sounding offensive I just want to clearify that.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:30 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:
and so is pretty much every other major U.S. City. Sorry if I am sounding of offensive I just want to clearify that.
No its, ok. Anyway Greenwich Village is awesome. It is more walkable, closer and better access to more things, better architecture on average, etc

Old 09-17-2009, 06:39 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times
Westwood is fine if you want a big house with a yard and driveway to park your SUV. If you want a walking, urban lifestyle where public transportation gives you easy access to everything a megalopolis city center has to offer, it's definitely Greenwich Village. What exactly is there to do in Westwood anyway, other than the village area around UCLA? (which btw, is pretty boring and underwhelming IMO, especially with Santa Monica 10 minutes away)

Old 09-17-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Westwood is fine if you want a big house with a yard and driveway to park your SUV. If you want a walking, urban lifestyle where public transportation gives you easy access to everything a megalopolis city center has to offer, it's definitely Greenwich Village. What exactly is there to do in Westwood anyway, other than the village area around UCLA? (which btw, is pretty boring and underwhelming IMO, especially with Santa Monica 10 minutes away)
Westwood is pretty urban on the wilshire area.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:15 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
damn - i gotta see westwood! how do you compare westwood to venice/santa monica? - i always thought that looked like the village

Old 09-17-2009, 08:26 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times
Quote:
Westwood is pretty urban on the wilshire area.
Yes, I know that Westwood has a lot of highrises around Wilshire, but really they're just office buildings. There's nothing on the ground floors of those buildings. No shops, restaurants, nothing. Compare taking a walk along Wilshire in Westwood to taking a walk down Hollywood Blvd between Highland and Vine. See the difference? IMO it's not a very interesting place to stroll around, especially when you compare it to the urban-lover's paradise that is Greenwich Village.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:41 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
The neighborhood is upscale.

Most Expensive Zip Codes – full coverage on Curbed (http://curbed.com/tags/most-expensive-zip-codes - broken link)

Here are some photos.
Greenwich Village - Wired New York Forum

Your second link has alot of nice photos BigCityGuy! Shows why the 350 year old Village is one of most unique and historic communities in the country. The small scale buildings and streets reminds me of parts of Boston or London. Too bad more of New York is not like this!

This is rather easy. Greenwich Village for its bohemian culture, restaurants, clubs, history, the arts, architecture, New York University, Washington Square, and finally its being an unexpected small scale gem in the middle of Manhattan skyscrapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City