Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2007, 11:52 AM

222 posts, read 810,814 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Lansing, Michigan and my wife is looking to get her Masters at a school out west in one of three cities: San Diego, San Jose, or Tucson. We are both in our 40s, college educated and have no kids at home. I work from home and we would only be renting for the 18 months or two years it took for her to finish. We enjoy some outdoor activities (hiking, biking) and some indoor (movies, live theater, etc.) and good restaurants.

If you had the choice of the three (assuming the colleges are equal) where would you go and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 04:33 PM

266 posts, read 1,333,348 times
I am currently a student at University of Arizona, though I am transferring back to my home state of New Mexico, for reasons other than the quality of education I've received here. U of A is a great school, with many top programs (I think the business school was recently ranked one of the top 5 or 8 in the country for a bachelors degree). Tons of students, but less (~7000) grad students going for their masters or doctorates.

Aside from attending U of A, I haven't particularly enjoyed living in Tucson. The weather is fine in the winter, but unpleasantly hot for most of the rest of the year. I haven't been to San Jose, but I've visited San Diego many times at different times of year, and have always like the weather there. Tucson is not a very glamorous city and has the same problems with urban sprawl as many other cities in the west. I've seen a lot of crime in the two years I have been here as well. I've also had a hard time locating many good restaurants, but that is in part due to my low, college-student typical budget.

I don't know about live theater, other than what they offer at UA, but there are plenty of movie theaters, including the Loft, which shows a lot of independent films. There's a lot to outdoors, from the Desert Museum, to hiking on Mt. Lemmon, to biking, etc.

Renting is not a problem, especially around the university. And, as would be expected, Tucson is far less pricey than most places in CA.

On the whole, I can't really NOT recommend Tucson to you - to each his own, and I personally would rather live elsewhere. But based on what you are looking for, I think you could be happy here. I don't know if cost is a big issue for you, but obviously Tucson has a lower cost of living than CA, which could be a big plus. Have you visited any of the cities you are thinking about? If at all possible, I would try to do that, just to get a feel for each city, and what each has to offer.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Never been to San Jose, but Ive been in the region if that counts. haha

Tucson is very hot in the summer, pleasant to cold in the winter, surrounded by mountain ranges on all sides. There are LOTS of outdoor activities, but youre limited somewhat by the weather. Its the cheapest of the 3 for sure. Parts of Tucson are lovely, parts are scary. As is the case with the other 2, but not as much bad in San Diego.

San Diego. Extremely expensive and for good reasons. Perfect weather is pretty much the reason everyone wants to live there. LOTS of outdoor activities and the beaches are awesome. Be prepared for sticker shock everywhere you look in the area, its horrendous. I remember looking at a studio (not even beachfront) for $2,100 a month, and that wasnt even the most expensive!!!! YIKES!!!

Old 05-04-2007, 11:55 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
I would tell San Diego to hit the road, its not worth the bother, or stress, in a place that expensive, and they are not exaggerating, its cost of living is 2nd only to Boston, and its a disgrace I think. San Jose is no better remember it is only down the road from San Francisco, all very high cost areas. Yes Tucson is it, unless you got the bucks to manage the other two. As the student said, its not all that interesting too many, I think many choose it because the sun is out, its warmer than where they come from, and its inexpensive compared to most places, but there are reasons for that. Yes there is high crime, and some sections are scary. It is very sprawled out, in all directions with little in the way of fwys. its all surface streets, and lots and lots of traffic backed up by traffic lights. If that lack of infrastructure is not for you, Tuscon may not appeal to you for very long. Some tell me they are bored there, and the dusty look to the place wears thin for some. I think its a great place for the person that wants warm to hot climates, and not a real big city type feel to it, at a lower cost than most places. Of course you need to visit these places, since your the one that wants to live in one of them,and only you can decide for you.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:18 PM

Default One More to Add

Hate to change the discussion, but what about Las Cruces, NM? It appears now that it also might be in the mix? Is it about the same as Tucson, better, worse?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 18,522 times
Default Las Cruces

Hi there,
I was just reading over any info that may have been posted on the new spaceport that is in the works for Las Cruces. I own a home there so want to keep up with appreciation - I also own a home in Tucson....and live in San Diego. Pretty funny you mention all three. My husband and I have spent significant time in both areas and I must say if you are coming from from the midwest - it may be a little tough on you if you choose Tucson, b/c of the heat (although I love it, especially by the university where my home is located) the downtown area is very cool and I find the people there very friendly. When I retire, my husband and I will spend more time in Tucson for sure...the White mountain range that surrounds the city is beautiful...yes the traffic is indeed bad - lots of growth not enough infrastructure to manage all the people, but same goes for Las Cruces. Not sure if you know this but NM ranks #3 in poverty so there is much of that,,,and lots of retirees as it was voted one of the best places to retire. As far as schools go - Tucson hands down. Personally, I do not see Las Cruces as my dream space but as an investment - absolutely.

As far as San Diego goes...there was some exageration going on...2K would put you at the gas lamp downtown, or Hillcrest or the beach area. I would say if you search you could find a cute 2 bedroom for maybe 1,400 - 1,500. I know b/c my neighbor is paying that and I live in a sweet older neighborhood. I must tell you you that when I leave San Diego and return it is the most wonderful feeling to be home there is. There is no place like it that I have seen - you would love it...best wishes to you both and let me know if I can be of any further help to you.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Thanks for the Info

I've been to San Diego once and think my wife would love it, but even if we can find a place with a reasonable rent, I am concerned about our over cost of living going up (some places list it as twice as much as Michigan) and with me being the only breadwinner for two years, things could get kind of tight.

We are heading out to Arizona this week and will be taking a look at Tucson, Las Cruces and El Paso. I'll let you know when I get back what we find.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:54 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Just pitching in my 2 cents for what it's worth, and that's not much...San Diego would be tops, but only if you can afford it. It is very expensive there, and as previously stated, for good reason. The town is wonderful and the only part of California I miss. I'm sure this doesnt help much, just another opinion for you to consider.
Peace and good luck!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:08 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
"San Diego vs. San Jose vs. Tucson"

San Diego is the nicest. It's expensive, but not compared to SF or NYC. Tucson is a desert town. Not a bad place. San Jose stinks. If you choose San Jose, try to live in a different city. The Bay Area has a lot to offer, but San Jose is basically the worst part of it.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
"San Diego vs. San Jose vs. Tucson"

San Diego is the nicest. It's expensive, but not compared to SF or NYC. Tucson is a desert town. Not a bad place. San Jose stinks. If you choose San Jose, try to live in a different city. The Bay Area has a lot to offer, but San Jose is basically the worst part of it.
San Jose, be sheer size and population, has more to offer than most Bay Area cities. Per capita, it may not be the most interesting (hint: it isn't), but there's much to be found within city limits. Don't believe everything some hipster transplant from the Mission tells you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City