Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about a trip I had thru Ohio and when I was on I 75 near Cincinnati it was like move out of the way you out of stater lol

What states do you think have the slowest drivers and fastest and what state has the best drivers vs worst?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 01:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I was recently on vacation in Ohio and drove through OH, IN, KY then back to IL. Once you hit the IL border, it was like someone switched on the "jerk" buttons. IL drivers in the chicago area drive terrible.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:58 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I was recently on vacation in Ohio and drove through OH, IN, KY then back to IL. Once you hit the IL border, it was like someone switched on the "jerk" buttons. IL drivers in the chicago area drive terrible.
Yup. Here are my observations from my recent trip.

Illinois bad until you get around Carbondale, southern IL
Missouri alright
Arkansas alright
Memphis area alright
Mississippi good decent clip, not pushy or anything
Jackson area very respectful drivers, easy to get around
Alabama good drivers
Birmingham a little pushier and faster nothing like Chicago
Nashville area pretty fast, rest of Tennessee was okay
Kentucky good pretty moderate
Southern indiana good
Indianapolis area -- fast pushier
Once you got around Merrilville indiana and saw all the out of state cars from Illinois -- your Joe Perrillo BMW, Westmont Audi what have you, you got cars that were faster and jerkier. Yeah Illinois drivers drive fast and take chances.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:19 PM

774 posts, read 2,495,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Chicago people know how to drive the right way. It's those people from Wisconsin and Indiana that "mosey" around in the left lane that drive me nuts!

Old 05-03-2007, 02:24 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I was thinking about a trip I had thru Ohio and when I was on I 75 near Cincinnati it was like move out of the way you out of stater lol
Are you sure those weren't Michiganders just passing through?

Old 05-03-2007, 02:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
AMEN FRANK!!!! IL drivers arent bad, theyre good. Sure some drive like jerks, every state has em. Were talented here, we drive good in all weather conditions. Unlike other states, we dont cower and hide when it rains or snows, we trudge through it and deal with it. All the while it makes us better drivers. Car and Driver did a neat article on this a few months back, showing how drivers from areas with 4 seasons are more advanced drivers.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Are you sure those weren't Michiganders just passing through?
I have no clue LOL It was just specs that went by me LOL I love the highway system there I wanted to just enjoy the city on the highway lots of turns and up and under other roadways I love tunnel riding lol.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:09 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,684 times
From 1 to 10 (10 good drivers, 1 bad drivers)

Denver(6)- low concentration span, moderate speed drivers
Colorado Springs(5)- low concentration span, varies greatly from (very fast to very low)
Omaha(7)- fast drivers with a high concentration span. People seem to have split-secound reaction there.
Lincoln, Nebraska(5)- moderately paced drivers, very low concentration, lots of people doing multiple things at once when driving
Minneapolis, Minnesota(7)- fast drivers but dont seen careless
St. Cloud, Minnesota (10)- very good slow-paced and careful drivers
Fargo, North Dakota (8)- slow paced drivers, fairly good concentration it seems with the drivers
Des Moines, Iowa (10)- very good drivers, they take it easy
Indianapolis, Indiana (8)- decent drivers, wasnt there long didnt seem careless
Louisville, Kentucky (8)- nicer in their cars then anywhere else
Columbus, Ohio (8)- moderate speed, moderately careful drivers
Cincinnati, Ohio (9)- slow, slow, slow drivers they dont seem in a hurry

Old 05-03-2007, 06:11 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
fastest i've ever seen, probably Texas, second NC

worst state to speed in, LA or GA

worst drivers in terms of inner city, San Juan PR left a really bad impression but if it doesn't count I'll go with NYC for the cabbies alone

most aggrivating drivers, hands down, the DC metro area since it's a major choke point for all east coast traffic - so in the area, you get people from all the worst east coast driving sterotypes

I'm guessing the Western states have areas where you can speed more often, but I've never lived out west.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:38 PM

433 posts, read 2,355,724 times
I would say the slowest drivers are in Washington state. It's like an AARP convention. RV'ers with poodles on the drivers lap. It's horrible. So slow. Seems to take forever to go anywhere there.

Fastest would probably be California, Nevada and maybe Tennessee (it's like NASCAR on the freeways around Nashville). Some short exit ramps though, so you have to haul it down real quick when leaving the track. Even many of the big semi trucks on Interstate 40 are cranking 75 or 80 mph in the slow lane between Knoxville and Nashville. You pass those trucks and you better keep moving because its like a scene from that movie, Duel. Big truck with smokestacks just keeps coming.

Minnesota drivers don't drive fast but they sure like to tailgate on the freeways. You let them by you and then they drive SLOWER than what you were doing. Terrible about getting out of the fast lane too. Miles and miles just parked in the fast lane. They act like they're part of the traffic control department or something. You just learn to pass on the right and get well ahead of the mass of backed up traffic caused by the one stubborn idiot blocking the passing lane.

Illinois drivers around Chicago seem to hunt down out of state people to terrorize. Weave all over. Jump in front of you and hit the brakes. Lots of big, rusty beater cars on the prowl looking to collect on insurance.

Massachusetts drivers must be #1 in giving you the finger or honking their horns. They won't let you merge either. Boston is a real treat in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City