Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What MAJOR city is the best for relocation for football H.O.F.?
Atlanta 30 46.88%
Dallas 11 17.19%
Houston 4 6.25%
Boston 4 6.25%
Columbus OH 8 12.50%
Miami 1 1.56%
Raleigh-Durham 0 0%
Los Angeles 6 9.38%
Cinncinati 0 0%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 AM

815 posts, read 2,136,777 times

Advertisements

I do think of Dallas when it comes to college football, especially back in the day when the Cotton Bowl was one of the biggest games. But with that said there is no comparison between Dallas and Atlanta in regards to college football. All my Dallas people you know the Cowboys are the only game in town, here in Atlanta the Falcons are a major deal as well... But no where near as big of a deal as GT and UGA.... and then even UF and UA to a lesser extent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:20 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Since you asked.I don't think of Dallas when I think of college sports.Too many other cities before I would have picked over Dallas.Don't get me wrong,I think it would have succeeded.The attendance would have been decent.I just think that Dallas does not have the excitement in college football like it does for it professional sports.Atlanta has a very fan base of 2 major football conference(ACC & SEC),plus the many HBCU's in the city as well
Well who says it has anything to do with the cities themselves? While Atlanta is a bigger college football city than Dallas, Texas is a WAAYYY bigger football STATE then Georgia.

Unless you were there at the meeting, you can't just assume that they chose Atlanta simply because it's a "capital" of college football.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well who says it has anything to do with the cities themselves? While Atlanta is a bigger college football city than Dallas, Texas is a WAAYYY bigger football STATE then Georgia.

Unless you were there at the meeting, you can't just assume that they chose Atlanta simply because it's a "capital" of college football.
Texas is a bigger football state than Georgia I will give you that, but only because Texas is bigger than Georgia. We eat, sleep and breathe football down here the same as they do in Texas. No difference except Texas is much bigger and by extension has more teams. But we are just as passionate about our teams down here as Texas people are, and at least our college teams play in a real conference, with real competition. The Big 12 teams are good on the offensive side of the ball, but they completley suck on the other side, which makes for lopsided stats and game results

Old 09-24-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Texas is a bigger football state than Georgia I will give you that, but only because Texas is bigger than Georgia. We eat, sleep and breathe football down here the same as they do in Texas. No difference except Texas is much bigger and by extension has more teams. But we are just as passionate about our teams down here as Texas people are, and at least our college teams play in a real conference, with real competition. The Big 12 teams are good on the offensive side of the ball, but they completley suck on the other side, which makes for lopsided stats and game results
Well you wanna make it personal, but I'm not going to get into that because that's not what this is about...

State size is not that much of a matter to me. Not to mention that Georgia really isn't that small and should have more than just two top tier NCAA schools if you ask me...: Georgia and Georgia Tech against UT, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, SMU, UofH, and even Rice. And lets not forget the famed Cotton Bowl in Fair Park.

I'll admit that I'm more of a pro man than college, but when I think of NCAA football, Texas does come to mind before Georgia.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Well you wanna make it personal, but I'm not going to get into that because that's not what this is about...

State size is not that much of a matter to me. Not to mention that Georgia really isn't that small and should have more than just two top tier NCAA schools if you ask me...: Georgia and Georgia Tech against UT, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, SMU, UofH, and even Rice. And lets not forget the famed Cotton Bowl in Fair Park.

I'll admit that I'm more of a pro man than college, but when I think of NCAA football, Texas does come to mind before Georgia.

Georgia is not small, but compared to Texas it is. And I agree that we should have more than one top teir D-1 school, but GA State is a huge school and they are in D-1 and they just started their football program, which kicks off next year I think, so I wouldnt be suprised to see GA State make huge strides similar to schools like UCF and USF who just recently started theirs as well just based off the recruiting pool that is metro Atlanta

Old 09-24-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Georgia is not small, but compared to Texas it is. And I agree that we should have more than one top teir D-1 school, but GA State is a huge school and they are in D-1 and they just started their football program, which kicks off next year I think, so I wouldnt be suprised to see GA State make huge strides similar to schools like UCF and USF who just recently started theirs as well just based off the recruiting pool that is metro Atlanta
I wouldn't be surprised either. And when I was younger I used to wish that Augusta State had a decent sports program because that's my home city and they LOVE football out that way.

As far as Georgia being smaller, technically it is, but the big schools in Texas are all pretty much centered inside a triangle (connecting Dallas, Houston, and Lubbock) that's about the size of Georgia.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:23 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised either. And when I was younger I used to wish that Augusta State had a decent sports program because that's my home city and they LOVE football out that way.

As far as Georgia being smaller, technically it is, but the big schools in Texas are all pretty much centered inside a triangle (connecting Dallas, Houston, and Lubbock) that's about the size of Georgia.
What about UTEP?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:01 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,616,925 times
Quote:

It's about the size of Georgia, but there's probably 20 million people living in that Triangle while the state of GA has nearly 10 million people.

This could explain why there's so many schools....

Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,968,633 times
Quote:
I still think with Tebow's heart and work ethic he can still be somewhat successful as an NFL player, whether or not it is as a QB remains to be seen. I would have said Colt McCoy from Texas fits that bill perfectly right now, I don’t think he will ever be a good NFL QB.
Colt McCoy's work ethic is every bit as hard as Tebow's and he is a much better passer and it's not even close.

Is this just more SEC SEC SEC bias?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:11 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,968,633 times
Quote:
Kind of like when OU held Florida to 24 points...which is less than they scored against LSU and GA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City