Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What MAJOR city is the best for relocation for football H.O.F.?
Atlanta 30 46.88%
Dallas 11 17.19%
Houston 4 6.25%
Boston 4 6.25%
Columbus OH 8 12.50%
Miami 1 1.56%
Raleigh-Durham 0 0%
Los Angeles 6 9.38%
Cinncinati 0 0%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:53 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well actually according to the most recent news article I read on the issue, they chose Atlanta solely because the city put up way more money than Dallas was willing.
I'm sorry but that is a bunch of buloney!The Dallas bid had the financial backing of T.Boone Pickens and Jerry Jones.In fact Atlanta went after the HOF even before it landed in South Bend.Dallas and Texas news agencies are saying that.But if you look at syndicated reports,they say differently.
Quote:
A source close to the board said Atlanta was chosen over Dallas because of its civic and business backing and the attractive downtown tourist areas and its many attractions

Atlanta officially wins College Football HOF - Atlanta Business Chronicle:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Nope, I don't..I'm going by what all the news articles said and since I wasn't in the meeting and privy to what was said, and I doubt you were either, I'll go by what the articles said. Atlanta ponied up more money at the end that Dallas refused to do.

The city of Atlanta paid more money to the HOF folks and that's why they're coming...not because of aquariums, museums or Coca Cola. Atlanta is a great city and will be a great home for the HOF, but it sounds like money won out again in the end..nothing more..nothing less.
Like I posted above.
Dallas came after they heard Atlanta had been trying to lure them there.

A source close to the board said Atlanta was chosen over Dallas because of its civic and business backing and the attractive downtown tourist areas and its many attractions.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
It surely does matter. Division I-FBS schools are the ones that get all the attention. They're the ones that people go to see play. Bring the most players into the pros.

What?
Ok I that was before I took my nap.lol.Texas has about the same ratio of schools with teams if you look at its population of 25million vs Georgia at 10million.Some of it is taken into consideration when locating is an issue.(not by itself). Atlanta still has more colleges and universities than Dallas by a long shot.Its the overall picture.Sure,if Atlanta had no top tier schools it would make a difference,but its has that plus the smaller schools that have sizable markets too.Its more so the the market that counts.And Atlanta has a huge draw for College football from the 2 major conferences unlike in Dallas or many other cities.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:26 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ok I that was before I took my nap.lol.Texas has about the same ratio of schools with teams if you look at its population of 25million vs Georgia at 10million.Some of it is taken into consideration when locating is an issue.(not by itself). Atlanta still has more colleges and universities than Dallas by a long shot.Its the overall picture.Sure,if Atlanta had no top tier schools it would make a difference,but its has that plus the smaller schools that have sizable markets too.Its more so the the market that counts.And Atlanta has a huge draw for College football from the 2 major conferences unlike in Dallas or many other cities.
Bro you do realize you are shoving your thoughts and opinions down everyone throat. No one agrees with you. Dallas would have made a great place for the College Football Hall of Fame. We understand Atlanta Won and we also understand that Atlanta is a big market for both the SEC and ACC conference.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Bro you do realize you are shoving your thoughts and opinions down everyone throat. No one agrees with you. Dallas would have made a great place for the College Football Hall of Fame. We understand Atlanta Won and we also understand that Atlanta is a big market for both the SEC and ACC conference.
I'm not "shoving"anything down anyones throat.The statement was made that someone said,and it was inaccurate.I provided a link with the articles to prove my point.So where is yours or anybody else's?In fact I even said in my earliest post that it would have succeeded in Dallas.So what are you talking about?Agrees with what?Where was I wrong since you want to interject?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:43 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but that is a bunch of buloney!The Dallas bid had the financial backing of T.Boone Pickens and Jerry Jones.In fact Atlanta went after the HOF even before it landed in South Bend.Dallas and Texas news agencies are saying that.But if you look at syndicated reports,they say differently.

Oh, so the Dallas news is lying now? How convenient.

And the article didn't say Dallas didn't have enough money, it said that Atlanta was willing to put up more.

Keep in mind that I never said that Dallas should've gotten the HOF over Atlanta. Neither city is an ideal location, in my opinion. Cause if it were up to me, I would've put it in Pasadena, CA across the street from the Rose Bowl lol.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Good Lord! Are Atlantans and Dallasites the most insecure people on this forum if they're constantly beating their chests trying to "outdo" one another?! You're both great cities in your own special ways. Stop peeing in the other's lemonade! Now have a big group hug, and I'll give you all lollipops!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:58 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
I'm not "shoving"anything down anyones throat.The statement was made that someone said,and it was inaccurate.I provided a link with the articles to prove my point.So where is yours or anybody else's?In fact I even said in my earliest post that it would have succeeded in Dallas.So what are you talking about?Agrees with what?Where was I wrong since you want to interject?
What the poster said was quite accurate. Atlanta did put more money on the table than what Dallas was willing to offer. Now if Dallas would have put more money on the table they may have won? Dallas main concern at the moment is Uptown projects, DART expansion, and the trinity river project that includes a state of the art bridge that will transform Dallas skyline. Atlanta is the new home of the College Football Hall of Fame. What is there to discuss? Its a done deal....

Old 09-24-2009, 08:21 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
Ok I that was before I took my nap.lol.Texas has about the same ratio of schools with teams if you look at its population of 25million vs Georgia at 10million.Some of it is taken into consideration when locating is an issue.(not by itself).
Size has little to do with it. Ohio is less than half the size of Texas and they have almost as many as us.

Quote:
Atlanta still has more colleges and universities than Dallas by a long shot.Its the overall picture.Sure,if Atlanta had no top tier schools it would make a difference,but its has that plus the smaller schools that have sizable markets too.Its more so the the market that counts.And Atlanta has a huge draw for College football from the 2 major conferences unlike in Dallas or many other cities.
I never said that any of this had to do with which city gets the HOF. I was simply telling youngmj that Texas was the more major football state.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 PM

^^^^^Well that is your opinion.So ok.Its just that when people say things like "hands down winner,needs to "get their heads examined" and no "discussion necessary"**,it puts people on guard.As if what others might think has no value.People may not like what I say or disagree,but I never (unless it is fact)will pass something off as if it is anything other.Especially if it is not factually true,but an emotional commentary based on very little evidence to support ideas.I always check my facts before i post because I like to be accurate about what is really going on.I don't have an ego like some do on here that needs placating.If I am wrong I have no problem saying so.There is no shame in being wrong,but being wrong after having been proved wrong is just idiotic.This is all the point I was trying to make.

**I was not attributing those statements to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City