Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:52 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,241,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I know Philly has been active ain trying to enhance its economy by different measures ,but with the momentum of the West and South,and even cities like Boston and D.C. doing better,Philly has to do more to compete.We've been down this rod before.
Keep in mind that Dallas and Atlantas encapturement areas are 3x the size of Philadelphias which adds greatly to the growth statistics.

Growth happening 35-40 miles from Houston or Atlanta unquestionably get included in their respective metros. Residents priced out of Philly metro end up in the same 35 -40 mile radius but end up in a myriad of different metros Alllentown Trenton Reading,Lancaster,New York, Dover. Point is metro stats can give a false reading in some cases, its not a uniform measurement for all.

Last edited by rainrock; 09-26-2009 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1
like Boston and D.C. doing better,Philly has to do more to compete.We've been down this rod before.
Nobody is keeping up with the ivory tower that is becoming Washington Dc. You should be just as outraged at this scandoulous insatiable transgression going on in the Wash area as the struggling cities of the midwest. The piggish wealth that is being hoarded around the feds is repulsive. How about lending one of those $5 B dollar(2500 jobs) governmental contracts to Michigan or Ohio?

Boston is 1/3 of the size of Philadlephia and had much less of an industrial past. Its not fair to compare the 2 cities . metro wise I believe Philadelphias growth is on par or slightly exceeeds Bostons metro MSA.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Still on your SF-bashing kick I see. If only you had the courage to openly admit what you always try to imply and play off as though you're joking. You're a sad, petty individual.

Man, this thread was going so well until the Philly short bus decided to unload its passengers onto the CD forum. The veiled insults from the slowest of the bunch (see quote from above poster) have become sort of a signature on here. Stay classy, Philadelphia!
You should heed your own advice about taking things too seriously. Its one thing to take have alittle fun and take a token shot at a different region or city especially one as smug as the Bay Area, but you continue to take it to a personal level which is exceeds any inconsequencial damage from the Philly crew.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:27 AM

36,692 posts, read 67,707,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You should heed your own advice about taking things too seriously. Its one thing to take have alittle fun and take a token shot at a different region or city especially one as smug as the Bay Area, but you continue to take it to a personal level which is exceeds any inconsequencial damage from the Philly crew.
Not fair--you started it.

But, Yes we're very smug. LOL

Say, I agree about Metro DC getting way too much of the federal pot. Yes, there are highly educated people there who deserve high pay and that makes sense. But the Fed took $55 Billion in annual contracts from the states and rerouted it all to Metro DC. It was totally uncalled for and very shortsighted.

What they should do is decentralize the federal government and send entire divisions and departments all over the country and spread the spending.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:58 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,909,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What they should do is decentralize the federal government and send entire divisions and departments all over the country and spread the spending.
Actually, the feds are starting to decentralize some agencies a bit.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:35 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,835,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Nobody is keeping up with the ivory tower that is becoming Washington Dc. You should be just as outraged at this scandoulous insatiable transgression going on in the Wash area as the struggling cities of the midwest. The piggish wealth that is being hoarded around the feds is repulsive. How about lending one of those $5 B dollar(2500 jobs) governmental contracts to Michigan or Ohio?

Boston is 1/3 of the size of Philadlephia and had much less of an industrial past. Its not fair to compare the 2 cities . metro wise I believe Philadelphias growth is on par or slightly exceeeds Bostons metro MSA.
I was not even talking about the government,which is obviously a contributing factor.I was refering to the fact that many of D.Cs other sectors are growing.It seems that over the last few years looking to other areas to boost its economy has boosted returns that have been usually attributed to other cities.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:07 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,577,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Great "picture", snapshot of life and people.
Please... I never leave my gated property without my top hat on...
http://www.slsc.org.uk/images/top_hat_low.jpg (broken link)

this is me doing laps at the european spa

Old 09-26-2009, 04:20 PM

36,692 posts, read 67,707,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Please... I never leave my gated property without my top hat on...

this is me doing laps at the european spa
LOL

Old 09-26-2009, 04:53 PM

20 posts, read 35,518 times
Does anyone know how some of these Metro areas compares to London, Tokyo or other big cities? Where can I research the statistics?

Old 09-26-2009, 05:59 PM
IT6

37 posts, read 146,590 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City