Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which "Richmond" is better, Richmond CA or Richmond VA
Richmond, CA 22 14.97%
Richmond, VA 125 85.03%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 11:56 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

So when people are saying this thread is lopsided, they are correct, but not in the way theyre thinking. ijs nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 12:04 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Richmond CA is an industrial suburb with some killer views...

I would rather take the lovely view of DT S.F. and the picturesque Bay over the Red part of Virginia. NOVA is the only part of VA I would ever consider!

Old 05-22-2021, 12:32 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I would rather take the lovely view of DT S.F. and the picturesque Bay over the Red part of Virginia. NOVA is the only part of VA I would ever consider!
Richmond is not even remotely a red part of Virginia. The city and its major suburban counties have trended increasingly blue in recent years.

Views of the whitewater rapids on the James River that flows through the center of Richmond can also be very picturesque, even if not quite as iconic as the San Francisco scenes.

Old 05-22-2021, 12:32 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
Richmond VA is nowhere near the red part of the commonwealth. NOVA is no more liberal than Richmond, Norfolk or Charlottesville. The red parts of VA are no more red than the red parts of CA (and there are far fewer red Virginians than red Californians).

Old 05-22-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Richmond is not even remotely a red part of Virginia. The city and its major suburban counties have trended increasingly blue in recent years.

Views of the whitewater rapids on the James River that flows through the center of Richmond can also be very picturesque, even if not quite as iconic as the San Francisco scenes.
I also like NOVA because of Tysons. Last visit (pre-smartphone), I was trying to find the nice mall in the National Capital Region (NCR).

Several years ago I read that huge population NOVA was turning the state blue. Virginia was always the more desirable side of the NCR for affluent Washingtonians.

The S.F. skyline--with landmark buildings like the TransAmerica Pyramid, BoA Building, and Salesforce Tower--was the selling point. It's not visible on the peninsula, like attempting to see Detroit within the U.S. LOL

But Norfolk might be more stunning with the Chesapeake Bay. Had a cousin and his family live there while serving in the Navy. I definitely believe when I read about the natural deep-water port--the bridge-tunnel combinations are an interesting feat of engineering.

Old 05-22-2021, 02:41 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Several years ago I read that huge population NOVA was turning the state blue. Virginia was always the more desirable side of the NCR for affluent Washingtonians.
Selfdescribed Washingtonian elite hate Nova. They prefer MontCo MD for suburbs.

Nova is in DC's MSA. If Nova was incorporated into the #51stState (it should be, never happen) , Virginia would remain as it is politically; mostly Blue due to Hampton Roads and Richmond/Charlottesville

What you dont understand is Nova is VA's atm. No Nova, and VA is as poor as WV.

Median income Nova: $125k
Median SFH: 515K

Median Income HR: $56k
Median SFH: 125K

Median Income Richmond VA: $26k
Median sfh: $270k

Old 05-22-2021, 04:50 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post

Nova is in DC's MSA. If Nova was incorporated into the #51stState (it should be, never happen) , Virginia would remain as it is politically; mostly Blue due to Hampton Roads and Richmond/Charlottesville

What you dont understand is Nova is VA's atm. No Nova, and VA is as poor as WV.

Median income Nova: $125k
Median SFH: 515K

Median Income HR: $56k
Median SFH: 125K

Median Income Richmond VA: $26k
Median sfh: $270k
Virginia is vastly more affluent than West Virginia even if the Washington, Richmond and Norfolk/Virginia Beach (Hampton Roads) metro areas are all excluded. I have no idea whether the figures you've posted are representing median household income, median family income or median annual wage, but none of those at $26,000 look accurate for either the city or metro area of Richmond today.

Also someone looking for a house today in the Hampton Roads area with a budget of $125,000 would have very little to choose from.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:58 PM

I personally think that Richmond, TX is the best. Fort Bend County is the other gem in the Greater Houston area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I'm probably thinking politicians like Senators and Congressmen then. Fairfax and Falls Church are often mentioned by the elite Washingtonians; also convenient to Dulles airport.

Aren't MontCo and PG Co. ghetto areas, along with East D.C.? Marylanders get a bad rap by these elites. Trump calling Baltimore a s-hole didn't help matters much, as the torched CVS was the icon of the riots several years back.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:18 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
Median income in Richmond is $68,000
Median home price is $279,000

Old 05-23-2021, 07:15 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
Quote:
Say you know nothing about Richmond VA without saying you know nothing about Richmond VA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City