Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 3,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
Random thought....didnt the Chrysler building get purchased by some middle eastern company or something
Who cares? It's still called Chrysler Building and nobody is repainting it. Renaming Sears to Willis means that now even less people can associate the name with the image
Willis Tower

Old 11-03-2009, 01:19 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_1530 View Post
So what?
Exactly.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:45 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Wait, how many screen names does this guy have now, lol.

They keep coming out of nowhere, all with 3-10 posts, all from a New Yorker's perspective, and 100% concerning Chicago.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:56 PM

45 posts, read 46,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
Thats nice and all but again why do so many people visit chicago...i am so not understanding....there is nothing international about chicago lol well except for the scores of foreigners that visit this boring farm town each year
LOL, foreign visitors visit Chicago? Since when? Oh cute, delusions of grandeur!

Overseas tourists 2008 according to the U.S. Department of Commerce (final destinations):

New York City: 7,600,000

Los Angeles: 2,700,000
Miami: 2,300,000
San Francisco: 2,300,000
Orlando: 2,100,000
Las Vegas: 1,700,000
Honolulu: 1,600,000
Washington: 1,200,000

CHICAGO? MIA!

Maybe 500,000 at best? Quite pitiful for America's "second city". Yea, what a New York competitor, huh? LOL. I am not trying to be rude, but why would someone fly overseas just to visit Chicago? You want to see skyscrapers, amazing buildings, fabulousness and excitement? New York. It has everything Chicago could only dream of X 2 or 3. Beaches? Miami. Hollywood? LA. Charm? San Francisco. Disney? Orlando. Chicago offers nothing to the average tourist and these statistics back up my opinion. I guess it is a boring farm town (you said it, not me).

New York, L.A., Miami are most-visited U.S. cities by overseas travelers | Oregon Travel News - - Oregon, US & International Travel News - Oregonlive.com

PS, it's impossible to gauge how many Americans are visiting Chicago versus actually going to visit Chicago, so domestic travel patterns never tell the entire picture. These stats foreign stats are quite revealing aren't they? See NYC all the way up there (at nearly 3X LA's visitors) and Chicago missing from the chart? LOL.

Last edited by christian.; 11-03-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 03:16 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,287,563 times
Quote:
Who cares? It's still called Chrysler Building and nobody is repainting it. Renaming Sears to Willis means that now even less people can associate the name with the image
Willis Tower
They're not repainting it. I guess that double checking facts is another thing you trolls don't do. I guess you can't handle someone refuting what you said and you get mad, not need to. You were just wrong again.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:28 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian. View Post
LOL, foreign visitors visit Chicago? Since when? Oh cute, delusions of grandeur!

Overseas tourists 2008 according to the U.S. Department of Commerce (final destinations):

New York City: 7,600,000

Los Angeles: 2,700,000
Miami: 2,300,000
San Francisco: 2,300,000
Orlando: 2,100,000
Las Vegas: 1,700,000
Honolulu: 1,600,000
Washington: 1,200,000

CHICAGO? MIA!

Maybe 500,000 at best? Quite pitiful for America's "second city". Yea, what a New York competitor, huh? LOL. I am not trying to be rude, why would someone fly overseas just to visit Chicago? You want to see skyscrapers, amazing buildings, fabulousness and excitement? New York. It has everything Chicago could only dream of X 2 or 3. Beaches? Miami. Hollywood? LA. Charm? San Francisco. Disney? Orlando. Chicago offers nothing to the average tourist and these statistics back up my opinion. I guess it is a boring farm town (you said it, not me).

New York, L.A., Miami are most-visited U.S. cities by overseas travelers | Oregon Travel News - - Oregon, US & International Travel News - Oregonlive.com

PS, it's impossible to gauge how many Americans are visiting Chicago versus actually going to visit Chicago, so domestic travel patterns never tell the entire picture. These stats foreign stats are quite revealing aren't they? See NYC all the way up there (at nearly 3X LA's visitors) and Chicago missing from the chart? LOL.
You sure could have fooled me!

Old 11-03-2009, 04:02 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
BigLake,

Congratulations on Olympics in Chicago. I mean with Obama and Oprah fighting for the caase IOC must have really despised Chicago to award the honor to Rio instead.
The again, they have visited and exprienced Chicago themselves...
LOL -- another alias! And this one has even sh&ttier spelling than the last. You split like an atom.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:07 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian. View Post
DC is not the most important, California is also far more important to this country than Washington.
LOL Which of course explains why California came begging to the federal government for a bailout to prevent the state from essentially going bankrupt.

In all seriousness, I have to wonder how much attention you have been paying to the country when you make statements such as what I see above. Do you have any concept of the volume of new legislation and regulations that have been passed (or are going to be passed) just in the last year alone? It's staggering. And these regulations and laws affect literally every facet of life in this country, and frequently cross borders as well.

During the past 12 months, there has not been a larger economic force in this country than the federal government. Whatever your feelings on federal spending and government largesse, the fact is that Washington is an immense force over the country right now. If you don't believe me, ask the executives at the vaunted Fortune 500 companies in New York, California and elsewhere where their priorities are. Everyone is watching DC.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:20 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,287,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
LOL Which of course explains why California came begging to the federal government for a bailout to prevent the state from essentially going bankrupt.

In all seriousness, I have to wonder how much attention you have been paying to the country when you make statements such as what I see above. Do you have any concept of the volume of new legislation and regulations that have been passed (or are going to be passed) just in the last year alone? It's staggering. And these regulations and laws affect literally every facet of life in this country, and frequently cross borders as well.

During the past 12 months, there has not been a larger economic force in this country than the federal government. Whatever your feelings on federal spending and government largesse, the fact is that Washington is an immense force over the country right now. If you don't believe me, ask the executives at the vaunted Fortune 500 companies in New York, California and elsewhere where their priorities are. Everyone is watching DC.

It's ok though because christian. is probably that his parents finally let him go on the internet like a big boy so he got a little too excited.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:38 PM

45 posts, read 46,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post

And who would Washington legislate and regulate without the likes of Wall Street/New York? Where would a bulk of that money come from? There is a reason why Wall Street's ripple effects were felt throughout the world.

The United States would be a second world city without New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City