Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:09 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Don't get them started. The Citizens love that term, vague and unoriginal as it is.
Well vague and unoriginal as it may be, SF is indeed called "The City" in the Bay Area and Northern California. Actually it was the entire West Coast.

People sometimes think its some sort of snobby thing, but this nickname goes back to the gold rush. The snobbiness came later. Not much later tho.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
And calling SF the third city as if it comes remotely close to measuring up to Chicago or any other real city that has industry that actually isnt tourist related for that matter is laughable.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:04 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
And calling SF the third city as if it comes remotely close to measuring up to Chicago or any other real city that has industry that actually isnt tourist related for that matter is laughable.

SF is not third.

As if.

JK

Old 09-30-2009, 01:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
bay area is actually close to passing chicagoland in gdp...despite about 3 million less people.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:25 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I thought the "City" was Manhattan.
Not in the West Coast. To be honest I didn't realize that term was used for Manhattan until about 10 years ago, although it obviously makes sense. I was talking to this dude who was from CT once time who was here in SF for some summer program and was staying in the Presidio. So I asked him if he had "gotten to explore The City at all," and he started talking about NYC so I got confused lol. I began to notice Manhattan/NYC being called that frequently after that, but up until that point I had never noticed it, and I was accustomed to SF being called that (of course only by locals here).

But that is the term people in NorCal have used for SF for over 150 years, beginning back when it was the only major city in the entire area. Now it sticks in the craw of some San Jose residents since their city has more recently grown to have a larger population, but the rest of Northern California uses it, as do plenty of SJ residents depending on who you talk to. I even know some people in Sacramento and Stockton who say it. Its just the term many of us use around here.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:37 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Not in the West Coast. To be honest I didn't realize that term was used for Manhattan until about 10 years ago, although it obviously makes sense. I was talking to this dude who was from CT once time who was here in SF for some summer program and was staying in the Presidio. So I asked him if he had "gotten to explore The City at all," and he started talking about NYC so I got confused lol. I began to notice Manhattan/NYC being called that frequently after that, but up until that point I had never noticed it, and I was accustomed to SF being called that (of course only by locals here).

But that is the term people in NorCal have used for SF for over 150 years, beginning back when it was the only major city in the entire area. Now it sticks in the craw of some San Jose residents since their city has more recently grown to have a larger population, but the rest of Northern California uses it, as do plenty of SJ residents depending on who you talk to. I even know some people in Sacramento and Stockton who say it. Its just the term many of us use around here.

SF is not unique as "the city" though. Any major city will be called "the city" within their metro and surrounding areas. Here in Nova Scotia, Halifax is "the city" Although many of the Ontario kids think it's a joke to consider anything but Toronto "the city". Boston, is rarely called just "the city" and more often referred to as "in town" probably because of the proximity to New York (which is obviously what I and most people unbiased to another city, would consider "the city").

All this is pretty trivial though. Any city can be "the city" depending on context. I was only addressing that 18Montclair had the gall to capitalize it, making it seem ridiculously snobby even my Montclair's standard.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
SF is not unique as "the city" though. Any major city will be called "the city" within their metro and surrounding areas. Here in Nova Scotia, Halifax is "the city" Although many of the Ontario kids think it's a joke to consider anything but Toronto "the city". Boston, is rarely called just "the city" and more often referred to as "in town" probably because of the proximity to New York (which is obviously what I and most people unbiased to another city, would consider "the city").

All this is pretty trivial though. Any city can be "the city" depending on context. I was only addressing that 18Montclair had the gall to capitalize it, making it seem ridiculously snobby even my Montclair's standard.
I understand, and it makes sense for the term to be used in many places in that context. But the capitalization is what is used in our local vernacular here too, such as in the SF Chronicle, so it wasn't Montclair being arrogant. If you read articles on SFGate you will see it written as "The City" when they are differentiating between SF and another local city. Maybe it seemed out of place to you here in C-D, but if you look on the SF forum in here you'll likely see it. I do it myself as well. Its not about trying to be snobby or anything, its just the way it is written. I can totally understand why you see it that way though.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
A lot of cities may lay claim to being The City, but only one city can legitimately lay claim to being The District.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:02 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,788 times
Proof that Bay Area residents aren't pulling the term "The City" out of our a**

The Golden State Warriors Jersey's

Old 10-01-2009, 01:42 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Sf is also the only place in the bay area that really resembles a what most people would regard as a city. As small and insignificant as it may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City