Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NYC or LA pour moi?
NYC 5 22.73%
LA 17 77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:12 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Um - you just chose Birmingham, Alabama with that one.

L.A. and NYC are both very liberal cities, though you will find a bit more religious diversity in NYC, so you won't stand out quite as much if you're vocal about it. Both cities are tolerant with the "live and let live" thing, but if you're in-your-face with the religion, there might be social obstacles in either place.
Or Orange County for that matter. I don't think you can find any county in the NYC metro area as conservative as OC. The rest of Southern CA can be quite different than LA County.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:09 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
"Chase some dreams" of what? Acting? Singing? or just living in the city?

If you want to act in film you have to go LA, there's work in New York, but nothing like LA. If you want to sing you probably want New York.

The Christian conservative is the hard one. I work in the theater and have lots of colleagues who are practicing Christians and Jews, but they are of the decidedly liberal variety (Episcopalian, Congregationalist, Reform or Reconstructionist Judaism). The Episcopal church that I go to has a gay priest. Social conservatism isn't big in New York.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,466 times
I'd agree with most of the descriptions, so no need to belabor it. My concern is figuring out what exactly do you want to do entertainment wise (if I'm assuming correctly, that is what you're trying to do) and what are your priorities in this list? As an actress, I don't know how you'd be keeping that 100k job with auditions that often take place in the middle of days, film shoots occur at any hour, and if you happen to land a film role, may have to take off for months for production. On the other hand, keeping a steady job would be easier as a singer as you're not reliant on the schedule of an entire film crew or casting directors. Success as an artist requires a full-time commitment and a bit of strategy, so your career focus/goals should be shaping your decision more than anything.

Living as a performing artist in either place can be extremely difficult. For me, I moved away from New York City, even as an artist myself, to a cheaper place where I could perfect my craft and had some connections until making a move back to the majors (NY/LA). The entertainment world is even more competitive now with this recession, so you better either have connections or a solid resume in one of these cities to expect success.

If entertainment is a path you're pursuing, consider smaller markets that could allow you to gain experience and save up some money, as I can assure you, it would be tough keeping a full-time job for long if you're an artist and it would also be a difficult task to pay LA and NY rent on an artist's salary if you can't keep that full-time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City