Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 03:25 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,035,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I don't think you've ever been to Eastside San Antonio. It has a much more solid black community than Austin and I definitely think it has stronger ties to the south.

All the way from the neighborhoods around the Alamodome and the AT&T center to the inner ring suburbs like Converse and Kirby. Going down MLK, Foster Rd, Eisenhower, Walzem, FM 78...you have quite a bit of black folks out that way. A lot of these areas make me think of Fort Worth.

Keep in mind that the Eastside seems WORLDS away from the rest of San Antonio.
My family lives on Eastside San Antonio. Your focusing too much on the black community when Austin has southern influence in its white and black community. It's too centrally located to other southern cities to say its not southern at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 03:26 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Yes Steve Harvey lives in Dallas and has personal ties with the city of Dallas when he was going through a rough stretch in his life.
His radio show is out of NYC nowadays. I think he lives in Atlanta part time though.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:27 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,799,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Never said Houston wasn't southern or isn't southern. I was just saying that Houston has some southwestern and hispanic traces. Believe it or not, they will become the largest demographic in the metro area in the next 5-10 years. Also, I didn't say influence when it comes to California. I said connection. But you can add influence in there if you like. There isn't much of a connection with California and states east of Texas. But you can tell it's there in Houston. From it's music to the way some of the suburbs are after world war 2 to an extent. Why do you think people say Houston is like the mini LA or how Houston's and LA's skyline silhoutte look alike.

Also, name another Southern state that has been influenced by Mexico other than Texas to a major degree. I would not underestimate that.
Agree with that. Houston doe have some LA characteristics. TX and CALI are SUPER connected thought the black community. Most blacks that moved out of TX during Jim Crow era moved out to California, in places like LA and Compton, and Oakland. ALOT of them are staring to move back to TX in the 2nd Great Migration.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:27 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,308,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Keep in mind that the Eastside seems WORLDS away from the rest of San Antonio.
True but that is only a small fraction of the city. The Black community is not very large in San Antonio which is why many on here and me included will say that San Antonio currently has very little to do with the South. Maybe 30-50 years ago but not now.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:28 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,819,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Never said Houston wasn't southern or isn't southern. I was just saying that Houston has some southwestern and hispanic traces. Believe it or not, they will become the largest demographic in the metro area in the next 5-10 years. Also, I didn't say influence when it comes to California. I said connection. But you can add influence in there if you like. There isn't much of a connection with California and states east of Texas. But you can tell it's there in Houston. From it's music to the way some of the suburbs are after world war 2 to an extent. Why do you think people say Houston is like the mini LA or how Houston's and LA's skyline silhoutte look alike.

Also, name another Southern state that has been influenced by Mexico other than Texas to a major degree. I would not underestimate that.
But Houston isn't in the Mexican part of Texas.

And how is the music influenced by California?

Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,788,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
My family lives on Eastside San Antonio. Your focusing too much on the black community when Austin has southern influence in its white and black community. It's too centrally located to other southern cities to say its not southern at all.
The problem with Austin is it has lost a big chunk of its African American population. It is very shocking considering its a moderate to liberal town. The city from what I understand is now trying to attract young black professionals.

Fort Worth, Dallas & Houston continue to have the largest concentration of blacks. While San Antonio and Austin continues to shrink.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:31 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,799,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
See I tend to disagree with this statement..Ive noticed no discernible accent in Austin at all, and there is barely any black population. Neither are prevalent in Austin from my experience, and both are things that I consider pretty intrinsic to southern culture. Its also why I think that Dallas and Houston are Southern when it comes down to it..I hear southern accents in Dallas and especially in Ft. Worth...and many native Houstonians have southern accents as well...
True, but East Austin has a large black population, and they tend to be be Southern. But OVERALL I don't really consider Austin Southern.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:31 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,949,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Agree with that. Houston doe have some LA characteristics. TX and CALI are SUPER connected thought the black community. Most blacks that moved out of TX during Jim Crow era moved out to California, in places like LA and Compton, and Oakland. ALOT of them are staring to move back to TX in the 2nd Great Migration.

All true...Apparently many blacks moved from both TX and Louisiana to California, Michigan, Wisconsin etc.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:33 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,819,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I never said Austin wasn't southern. I'm saying it's not more southern than San Antonio.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:34 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post

Very true. Lots of Black Louisianans migrated out west as well.

Sort of how Chicago's black population consisted mainly of Mississippians, Alabamians went to Detroit, NC/SC/VA all had migration to New York, Arkansas to St. Louis, etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City