Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 01:14 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's because Big Tuck and Tum Tum are in a word, garbage. That entire DSR crew bit Houston's style. They are terrible lyricists with mediocre flow and subpar content. They are just not very good. I know there is real hip hop. Sadly, the best ever to come from Dallas was in a car crash. Dallas has talent. But that talent does not consist of Big Tuck and especially Tum Tum.

Oh and Houston rappers are significantly better than Dallas rappers. It isn't even close.
Thank you! I was just about to post about the joke that "DSR" is. They starting getting big about a year and a half ago, but it died down. Big Tuck and Tum Tum are like Houston's version of Mike Jones and Paul Wall (except Tum Tum isn't white, but still). Twisted Black is one of the best hip hop artists to come out of DFW. Too bad he's locked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Thats a little extreme. Big Tuck and Tum Tum arent the best rappers out there, but they arent bad. For Dallas theyre pretty good.

Houston does have better rappers, but most of the rappers I know from Houston also suck. Mike Jones comes to mind. Dont tell me it required any talent whatsoever to slow down a record (Chopped and Screwed) and have the same song only slower and call it a remix.

The bottom line is it requires no talent to rap nowdays. Now Metal and Jazz, those genres require talent for the instruments even if it doesnt take talent to sing in a metal band.
Maaaaaan, get that weak stuff out of here! lol

First, yes Mike Jones is garbage. Second, try to chop and screw a record yourself and see how bad it sounds. DJ Screw perfected it. Others have copied.

YouTube - Michael Jackson Rock With You screwed and chopped

I mean, I think that sounds cool as hell. Especially when you're out of it.

And it takes no talent to rap nowadays? You're half right on that one. It still takes talent. I mean, since it is so simple, can you make a rap beat? Are you as good of a producer as Kanye West, 9th Wonder, or DJ Premier (from Houston btw)? I doubt it.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:38 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Dallas: All style and flash and little substance. The new stadium is a metaphor for the whole city.

Houston: Substance, but very little style.
Style is overrated. We're too busy trying to find a cure for cancer, manage astronauts on their missions, and run the field of energy. Of course, if you really need some style, there's plenty of it in the Galleria area, River Oaks etc. where you will find most of the high-end shops, boutiques and designers. I guess there's still enough of a market here for that, and it's certainly not like we're dressing like the populace of Portland, OR (no offense to Portland, but you know what I mean.)

Austin is too busy trying too hard to be "weird" to know or care what Dallas' definition of style is... but we'll see how long that lasts, as all the Californians moving there are wanting those places, while Austin natives would rather keep things the way they are. Houston's got its own "weird" in Montrose, but unlike Austin, Montrose doesn't try too hard or want to grab attention... it is what it is. San Antonio... don't know what they're doing, it's a great place to visit (I was married there in historic downtown) but not sure that I'd want to live there.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:44 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,590,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Maaaaaan, get that weak stuff out of here! lol

First, yes Mike Jones is garbage. Second, try to chop and screw a record yourself and see how bad it sounds. DJ Screw perfected it. Others have copied.

I mean, I think that sounds cool as hell. Especially when you're out of it.

And it takes no talent to rap nowadays? You're half right on that one. It still takes talent. I mean, since it is so simple, can you make a rap beat? Are you as good of a producer as Kanye West, 9th Wonder, or DJ Premier (from Houston btw)? I doubt it.
I play 4 instruments (drums, guitar, bass, Piano-all self taught), but Ive never worked with electronic equipment before. I cant sing or rap, but I am a musical person, so if I worked at it, I might be able to.

The hardest stuff to do in music is play instruments, not make artificial beats. Thats what requires talent.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:46 PM

Would love to hear it. I can ply the piano, too by the way (and sax). Love it when producers can mix in that piano sound into their songs.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Austin is too busy trying too hard to be "weird" to know or care what Dallas' definition of style is... but we'll see how long that lasts, as all the Californians moving there are wanting those places, while Austin natives would rather keep things the way they are. Houston's got its own "weird" in Montrose, but unlike Austin, Montrose doesn't try too hard or want to grab attention... it is what it is. San Antonio... don't know what they're doing, it's a great place to visit (I was married there in historic downtown) but not sure that I'd want to live there.
You would think so, but I dont think so. Austin isnt trying to turn itself into a smaller Dallas, but it is turning into a smaller Dallas.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:52 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
You would think so, but I dont think so. Austin isnt trying to turn itself into a smaller Dallas, but it is turning into a smaller Dallas.
I think that is what many Austinites are afraid of. Either that, or turning into a mini LA.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,003,227 times
Austin was over when the official "Hippie Hollow" sign went up...

Old 10-14-2009, 02:15 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,954 times
What would be Dallas' equivalent to Montrose or Houston Heights? Or Little Five Points or Virginia-Highland?

Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
What would be Dallas' equivalent to Montrose or Houston Heights? Or Little Five Points or Virginia-Highland?
I think Knox-Henderson and Bishop Arts are the Dallas Equivalent of Little Five Points.

As for Montrose, the best comparrison is Oak Lawn or Cedar Springs, but they are still a little different. Oak Lawn and Cedar Springs are alot more refined and cleaner. Montrose is more hippieish.

Oak Lawn is very artsy and super super GAY. George Michael lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City