Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 03:43 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,987,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
When I travel sometimes I am asked which country I am from and I always say, "Texas". Then I say, "Dallas".
No wonder people from other countries think Americans are stupid.

Last edited by Cupcake77; 10-22-2009 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 03:44 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,296,482 times
Quote:
When I travel sometimes I am asked which country I am from and I always say, "Texas". Then I say, "Dallas".
LOL! That makes me think of King of the Hill when everyone talks about Hank's dad losing his shins while fighting for Texas in WWII.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:50 PM

882 posts, read 2,235,964 times
Quote:
KerrTown's probably not into sports either...I know most people in the world have never heard of Houston's football team...btw, what is it? I know the old Oilers moved to Tennessee.
Oh yea, you are just a walking stereotype. Because, everybody knows the only sports, cities have,are football teams, 'specially down south in here Texas.

Of course most people know about the Dallas Cowboys.

(NBA)But, i think most people know more about the Houston Rockets than they do the Mavericks. Especially since we have Yao Ming. So, we have some international recognition, thanks to people like Ming and Luis Scola. Plus, Houston's better. No one can question their unbelievable playoff run;only team to push the Lakers to 7 games.

(MLS) OK, who cares about the MLS, but its relevance is rising, and the Dynamo are already one of the best teams. Back-to-back championships in their inaugural seasons! Pretty impressive, and hopefully on their way to a 3rd championship.

(MLB) I know the Astros suck, but since i dont follow baseball, i just pick up on forum talk, and it doesn't seem like the Rangers are any better. BUT from the regular season standing, the Rangers had a winning season.

And our stadia is actually in our city. What's interesting is how Dallas is more of a Texan City, and Houston is more International, yet we have the Houston TEXANS, and Dallas has the TEXAS Rangers. Guess we couldn't decide who to wear the TX brand....

Old 10-22-2009, 03:57 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,588,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Oh yea, you are just a walking stereotype. Because, everybody knows the only sports, cities have,are football teams, 'specially down south in here Texas.

Of course most people know about the Dallas Cowboys.

(NBA)But, i think most people know more about the Houston Rockets than they do the Mavericks. Especially since we have Yao Ming. So, we have some international recognition, thanks to people like Ming and Luis Scola. Plus, Houston's better. No one can question their unbelievable playoff run;only team to push the Lakers to 7 games.

(MLS) OK, who cares about the MLS, but its relevance is rising, and the Dynamo are already one of the best teams. Back-to-back championships in their inaugural seasons! Pretty impressive, and hopefully on their way to a 3rd championship.

(MLB) I know the Astros suck, but since i dont follow baseball, i just pick up on forum talk, and it doesn't seem like the Rangers are any better. BUT from the regular season standing, the Rangers had a winning season.

And our stadia is actually in our city. What's interesting is how Dallas is more of a Texan City, and Houston is more International, yet we have the Houston TEXANS, and Dallas has the TEXAS Rangers. Guess we couldn't decide who to wear the TX brand....
You left out hockey. The Stars have a Stanley Cup win under their belt and produce good teams from time to time.

It should have no bearing whether a stadium is in the city or right outside of it. The New York Jets and Giants dont play in New York, the LA Rams played in Anaheim, etc.

As for Basketball, Dallas has Dirk Nowitzki. That gives it international recognition just like Yao Ming does. In fact, of the experament I preformed, both players were listed as a reason they thought the cities were known.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:15 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,799,942 times
Are you guys forgetting the Spurs and there 4NBA Championships in a span of 9yrs?

Old 10-22-2009, 04:22 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,588,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Are you guys forgetting the Spurs and there 4NBA Championships in a span of 9yrs?
They are definately the best Basketball team in Texas.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:37 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,775,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
It is the most sprawled out city in America, possibly in the world, when measured in terms of commute distances (or maybe it was gas consumption? I forget).
I don't know about that. I've seen many lists that had other metros higher.

Quote:
It is basically a big swamp, full of oil and petrochemical refineries.
Sounds like a very inaccurate and misleading description for the city. That describes the industrial east-side suburbs such as Channelview and Baytown, but what other part of town has refineries? It's not like they're just randomly spread around the metro. Where on the west or north side looks like a swamp? I don't understand why anyone would think or say that.

Quote:
It has one of the largest ports in the world. Along with S. Louisiana and Beaumont, it is unquestionably the logistics hub of the United States. Lord knows what sort of hazardous material, invasive species, and freaky diseases come through the region.
Again, limited to the east side suburb town of Channelview.

Quote:
In my opinion- NONE of that is desirable, even when contrasted against the city's strengths.
If the description was an accurate one of Houston in general (which it's not), then I wouldn't disagree with you.

Quote:
I've been to Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin, and I liked them all much better than Houston.
So have I (lived in Austin as well for several years) and I don't agree.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,000,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
No wonder people from other countries think Americans are stupid.
Cupcake doesn't do 'tongue-in-cheek'. She spends her days longing for the evangelistic mecca of Colorado Springs and putting down Texas.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:00 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,987,055 times
Quote:
Cupcake doesn't do 'tongue-in-cheek'. She spends her days longing for the evangelistic mecca of Colorado Springs and putting down Texas.

And you spend your time here and other dallas forums on the internet talking about lakewood, your schools and Dallas.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,000,832 times
Yes I am very proud of where I live! Apparently you are unhappy about where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City