Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-22-2009, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,500 posts, read 33,308,823 times
Reputation: 12109

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post

And our stadia is actually in our city. What's interesting is how Dallas is more of a Texan City, and Houston is more International, yet we have the Houston TEXANS, and Dallas has the TEXAS Rangers. Guess we couldn't decide who to wear the TX brand....

Could you tell me the nickname of this team and when they played. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2009, 06:06 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,221 posts, read 15,864,801 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
KerrTown's probably not into sports either...I know most people in the world have never heard of Houston's football team...btw, what is it? I know the old Oilers moved to Tennessee.
That's fine.

Houston owns in basketball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 06:14 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,221 posts, read 15,864,801 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
They are the Houston Texans now...whatever thats worth...they are a bottom of the barrel to mediocre rag tag bunch who has always had a pathetically porous offensive line, and whose only real hopes lie in WR Andre Johnson (my favorite receiver in the league). Outside of that they are the most consistently written off, non-noteworthy team in the entire NFL these days, with the Cleveland Browns being hot on their heels for that position. At least Detroit was known for being consistent losers.
What a load of garbage this post is. Houston Texans are, as of now, one of the average teams in the league. Should be 5-1, but two failed goalline attempts by Chris Brown's useless self. Matt Schaub is the best NFL QB in Texas . He is top ten in the league easily (leads the league with 14 TD passes right now). Only thing hurting the offense right now is Steve Slaton not rushing like he did last year. He is productive in the passing game though. Oh, and our defense as stepped up a lot. Haven't allowed a point in the second half for the last three games and Brian Cushing is a beast. Can't wait to watch this team play again on Sunday. Fun team to watch. Especially the explosive offense. These boys are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 PM
 
4,775 posts, read 8,788,977 times
Reputation: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
That's fine.

Houston owns in basketball.
Big Difference Dallas Cowboys 2nd richest sports franchise in the world. The Cowboys the most valuable sports franchise in the NFL. Houston Rockets well um they got 2 NBA Championships that no one really care about. Even with that Houston still sucks as a sports town. That will never change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 06:21 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,221 posts, read 15,864,801 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Big Difference Dallas Cowboys 2nd richest sports franchise in the world. The Cowboys the most valuable sports franchise in the NFL. Houston Rockets well um they got 2 NBA Championships that no one really care about. Even with that Houston still sucks as a sports town. That will never change.
Dallas Cowboys are only the second richest team because of the new stadium. Once it opened up, they skyrocketed. Also, Houston has two championships. Can't wait for someone to say that we only won it because MJ wasn't in the league. For one, the Rockets had Jordan's number during the regular season. Him and Mad Max (Vernon Maxwell) always got at it. Second, Jordan was in the league the second year. In fact, in his series against the Magic, he averaged over 30 PPG. Wasn't enough to get past Young Shaq though. Last, we would have made it there anyway. We played in different conferences.

And Houston is as bad of a sports town as Dallas . We still fill up Reliant Stadium for the Texans (without a winning season...yet). Astros and the Rockets have huge support. Dynamo support is growing.

Get that weak stuff out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,949,573 times
Reputation: 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
What a load of garbage this post is. Houston Texans are, as of now, one of the average teams in the league. Should be 5-1, but two failed goalline attempts by Chris Brown's useless self. Matt Schaub is the best NFL QB in Texas . He is top ten in the league easily (leads the league with 14 TD passes right now). Only thing hurting the offense right now is Steve Slaton not rushing like he did last year. He is productive in the passing game though. Oh, and our defense as stepped up a lot. Haven't allowed a point in the second half for the last three games and Brian Cushing is a beast. Can't wait to watch this team play again on Sunday. Fun team to watch. Especially the explosive offense. These boys are good.

Ill take it you're being sarcastic about Matt Schaub. While he is leading the league in touchdown passes, Matt Schaub is far from the best QB in the league. While the pass defense is stepping up alot run defense still leaves a ton to be desired. Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans and Dante Robinson are the only real brightest spots on 'D' and Robinson is highly overrated and plays tepid since his return. At 3-3 they're right at mediocre, if not garbage, and they're right on pace to do their annual 8-8 routine again...Im through having faith in them. Until they show me otherwise, the only people I check for now is Andre Johnson (if he can stay healthy) and possibly Owen Daniels if he remains consistent.

Last edited by solytaire; 10-22-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 07:42 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,221 posts, read 15,864,801 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Ill take it you're being sarcastic about Matt Schaub. While he is leading the league in touchdown passes, Matt Schaub is far from the best QB in the league.
Uh, Matt Schaub is easily a Top 10 QB. Almost all of his stats are in the top ten in the league, also. Name ten QBs better than Matt Schaub, right now. Still, just look at his stats so far:

Matt Schaub:

4th in yards per game - 303.8
6th in yards per attempt - 8.3
9th in completion % - 65.3%
1st in Touchdown passes - 14
6th in QB rating - 102.7
2nd in passes over 20 yards - 24
2nd in passes over 40 yards - 6

Schaub is a leader for this team. You can see it in each of his teammates eyes when they're interviewed about him. They believe in him.

Quote:
While the pass defense is stepping up alot run defense still leaves a ton to be desired. Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans and Dante Robinson are the only real brightest spots on 'D' and Robinson is highly overrated and plays tepid since his return.
Nah, maybe the first two games in the season. Ever since the Texans signed Bernard Pollard, they have been good against the run, allowing just 46 YPG (around there). And those three are really the only bright spots you see? Brian Cushing doesn't ring a bell (just won AFC Defensive Player of the Week)? Dude has brought a lot of toughness and attitude to the defense. Zac Diles? Connor Barwin? Even Jacques Reeves has been playing pretty damn good since he came back from injury. Glove Quin is also one hard-hitting CB.

Quote:
At 3-3 they're right at mediocre, if not garbage, and they're right on pace to do their annual 8-8 routine again...Im through having faith in them. Until they show me otherwise, the only people I check for now is Andre Johnson (if he can stay healthy) and possibly Owen Daniels if he remains consistent.
Yeah, 3-3 is average, but outside of the first game against the Jets, the Texans have been in every single game. Hell, even the Cardinals game when we were down by 21-0 at halftime. Held that Cardinals offense to under 50 yards in the second half, and tied the game. Had the chance to take the lead, but Schaub threw a pick six to DRC. Sucked, but that second half was the turning point for this team. Has been playing the same way since that half. Especially showed during the Bengals game.

Oh, and Owen Daniels is definitely consistent. So is Andre. We have an explosive offense in Houston. The offense wasn't really the problem. It was the defense and the defense has been stepping it up a lot. They just need to step up the run game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,949,573 times
Reputation: 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Uh, Matt Schaub is easily a Top 10 QB. Almost all of his stats are in the top ten in the league, also. Name ten QBs better than Matt Schaub, right now. Still, just look at his stats so far:

Matt Schaub:

4th in yards per game - 303.8
6th in yards per attempt - 8.3
9th in completion % - 65.3%
1st in Touchdown passes - 14
6th in QB rating - 102.7
2nd in passes over 20 yards - 24
2nd in passes over 40 yards - 6
Uh, its gonna take more than top ten status from less than half a season of work, for me to place him in top qb status with Brees, Peyton and my boy Favre. They were saying the same things about Romo when he was showing flashes of 'goodness' [not greatness] a couple of seasons ago. Now look at him...So my point is that it is going to take a lot more than half a season's worth of work for him to be considered good in my book. And lets not beat around the bush here, kudos to Schaub, but he is leading the league in passing TD's because their running game is non existent, what are his options? And it only tells me how porous their defense is for Schaub to be leading the league in TD passes, yet they are only 3-3. ---- And it tells me that they couldnt even keep a turtle out of the endzone if they wanted to.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Yeah, 3-3 is average, but outside of the first game against the Jets, the Texans have been in every single game. Hell, even the Cardinals game when we were down by 21-0 at halftime. Held that Cardinals offense to under 50 yards in the second half, and tied the game. Had the chance to take the lead, but Schaub threw a pick six to DRC. Sucked, but that second half was the turning point for this team. Has been playing the same way since that half. Especially showed during the Bengals game.
See this is the problem...They are always in the game. But those nailbiters and last ditch efforts arent sustainable. Those games can usually go either way, to either team. And thats no way to go through an entire season to get your wins. Truth be told, I worry about them peaking too early. This past Sunday's effort had better not be the peak of their defensive performance. If so they can chalk up another season at or under .500...I mean, its great that they held him to his lowest rushing total of the season, but Benson isnt even a premiere back. What will happen when they meet the backfield tandem in Baltimore, or Minnesota, or Dallas, or Deangelo Williams?...LaDainian? LJ? The list goes on, and the key for me is consistency. If they do not show consistency in stopping the run from other and better backs, then their defense has indeed peaked too early IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Oh, and Owen Daniels is definitely consistent. So is Andre. We have an explosive offense in Houston. The offense wasn't really the problem. It was the defense and the defense has been stepping it up a lot. They just need to step up the run game.
So far this season, the offense isnt the problem.. But prior to this season whenever Andre got hurt, there was almost no offense at all. 3 and outs were practically written into the offensive script. I'd consider that a problem, considering the lackluster running game. I can say though, that Schaub is NOTICABLY cooler under pressure than David "the Eggshell" Carr.

And the defense stepping it up alot is only half the picture. The run defense has been atrocious prior to this past Sunday. Only time will tell if they can continue to stuff runners of CB's calibur and better. So this year may be different...and maybe the highly touted new young tackle they signed to replace Salaam is making an impact, but it sure looks as though they are on schedule to meet the expectations of mediocrity they play up to each year. Again, 3-3, Im not impressed yet, and Im not getting my hopes up anymore.

They drop the ball every year when they are looking at a chance to break .500.

Do I sound sour? Damn right I am.

Last edited by solytaire; 10-22-2009 at 09:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,384 posts, read 25,588,876 times
Reputation: 10580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Dallas Cowboys are only the second richest team because of the new stadium. Once it opened up, they skyrocketed.
They were the second richest before the stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,221 posts, read 15,864,801 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Uh, its gonna take more than top ten status from less than half a season of work, for me to place him in top qb status with Brees, Peyton and my boy Favre. They were saying the same things about Romo when he was showing flashes of 'goodness' [not greatness] a couple of seasons ago. Now look at him...So my point is that it is going to take a lot more than half a season's worth of work for him to be considered good in my book. And lets not beat around the bush here, kudos to Schaub, but he is leading the league in passing TD's because their running game is non existent, what are his options? And it only tells me how porous their defense is for Schaub to be leading the league in TD passes, yet they are only 3-3. ---- And it tells me that they couldnt even keep a turtle out of the endzone if they wanted to.
But Schaub has been doing that. He doesn't gunsling the ball like Romo, Cutler, or Favre do. That's why he is lower on INTs this year. Remember, this is his third year as a full starter. He has gotten better EVERY SINGLE year. Unlike a player like Romo. And because our running game is nonexistent? That's a part of it, but Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady didn't exactly break all of those passing records because they had a powerful running game.

And, I don't know why it would tell you that. We've had two goalline carries in which Chris Brown couldn't run it in and half of our O-Line looked like turtles on the back of their shells.

Quote:
See this is the problem...They are always in the game. But those nailbiters and last ditch efforts arent sustainable. Those games can usually go either way, to either team. And thats no way to go through an entire season to get your wins. Truth be told, I worry about them peaking too early. This past Sunday's effort had better not be the peak of their defensive performance. If so they can chalk up another season at or under .500...I mean, its great that they held him to his lowest rushing total of the season, but Benson isnt even a premiere back. What will happen when they meet the backfield tandem in Baltimore, or Minnesota, or Dallas, or Deangelo Williams?...LaDainian? LJ? The list goes on, and the key for me is consistency. If they do not show consistency in stopping the run from other and better backs, then their defense has indeed peaked too early IMO.
This Sunday's effort is definitely not our peak. Especially offensively (they scored more points in the Titan game earlier in the season).

And Benson isn't a premier back? He definitely has been showing the naysayers wrong since the middle of last season. Dude has been on fire! First RB to rush for over 100 yards against the Ravens in 39 games. Benson has been playing MUCH BETTER than Marion Barber, LJ, and LT. Adrian Peterson runs over everybody and Ray Rice is a clone of Maurice Jones-Drew (who the Texans faced, before acquiring the run-stopper Bernard Pollard).

Quote:
So far this season, the offense isnt the problem.. But prior to this season whenever Andre got hurt, there was almost no offense at all. I'd consider that a problem, considering the lackluster running game. I can say though, that Schaub is NOTICABLY cooler under pressure than David "the Eggshell" Carr.
What the hell? Prior to when Andre got hurt? 2007 wasn't that long ago... Kevin Walter and Andre Davis stepped up big time at the WR position, and it was also Owen Daniels' coming out party pretty much. Not to mention Schaub wasn't there for all of those games either (we were lucky enough to have Sage Rosencopter).

And not only is Schaub much cooler under pressure, he also is a LEADER of this team. David Carr was not.

Quote:
And the defense stepping it up alot is only half the picture. The run defense has been atrocious prior to this past Sunday. Only time will tell if they can continue to stuff runners of CB's calibur and better. So this year may be different...and maybe the highly touted new young tackle they signed to replace Salaam is making an impact, but it sure looks as though they are on schedule to meet the expectations of mediocrity they play up to each year. Again, 3-3, Im not impressed yet, and Im not getting my hopes up anymore.
Did you not see where I posted that the run defense has held the opposing team to an average of 46 YPG (the past three games)? And yes, Duane Brown has been doing extremely well. Salaam's last game with the Texans was in 2007, I believe.

And I'm not getting my hopes up either because I've been through enough ups and downs with this team, but I still think a 10-6 record can be attainable. Texans always peak at the end of the season. They need to win next week and at Buffalo, before going into Indianapolis.

Quote:
They drop the ball every year when they are looking at a chance to break .500.

Do I sound sour? Damn right I am.
Well, the "new" Texans (2007) didn't really drop the ball. I think they actually overachieved. Now, the 2008 Texans underachieved. Granted, Hurricane Ike definitely messed things up, but games like the first Indy game at home hurts a lot.

Maybe we should move this to the sports forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
They were the second richest before the stadium.
Link? Because I'm pretty sure the Cowboys only started rising in value was when the stadium was being built/opened. Usually any team that builds a new stadium/arena goes up in ranking like those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:19 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top