Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Reputation: 12109

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Not by percentage. Maybe this year, because the Rockets aren't as competitive, but the American Airlines Center holds more people than the Toyota Center. I'm guessing you're looking at overall numbers. And I was talking pro sports, where they both seem equal. Dallas is better in college sports and NASCAR. But, Houston still holds plenty of events for the NCAA.
What counts the most is raw numbers. Houston's arena at time and this has been pointed out by many nba announcers including Barkley and Kenny Smith in that the arena is at times empty and the lighting is very dark. Yes, I was looking at overall numbers. But when you add up all the numbers and events into what both cities has, Dallas comes out on top. Nothing wrong with this. Again, this does not mean Houston is a bad sports town.

Quote:
Whatever. I think it was dumb to put it in Arlington, and thought it would be much better at the Cotton Bowl. Some people like driving way out to the suburbs for games, others don't.
Most people don't CARE to drive to the Suburbs on a Sunday afternoon. NFL games are events. It's not the social thing like MLB. I understand your argument for MLB as well. But the NFL is an entirely different animal. Blame Jerry Jones for this anyway. He didn't really care to have the stadium in Dallas anyway. Besides, I think it's dumb they put Joe Robbie 12 miles NORTH of the action of Miami and Miami Beach. But the media still loves the super bowl there. It's not about the stadium to the media members. It's about the city and where's the best place they can get their sun tan and mini vacation.

Quote:
Look at my post above.
Does not tell me much. They have a Chinese player. Ok, what else. How does that make the Rockets more popular than the Cowboys? It doesn't. Maybe it does in China, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
3,260 posts, read 8,731,743 times
Reputation: 693
^^^^ Arlington is not far from the Dallas County line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Reputation: 12109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
At least they were in Dallas County for all those years at Texas Stadium.
It doesn't matter.
The Redskins do not play in the district.
The Dolphins do not play in Miami and is on the Broward County line.
The Jets and Giants haven't played in New York for decades.
Where exactly do the Patriots play?
Does the name Orchard Park ring a bell?
Up until 2002, the Lions played in Pontiac for eons.

It doesn't matter for the NFL. It's a totally different atmosphere than any other sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What counts the most is raw numbers. Houston's arena at time and this has been pointed out by many nba announcers including Barkley and Kenny Smith in that the arena is at times empty and the lighting is very dark. Yes, I was looking at overall numbers. But when you add up all the numbers and events into what both cities has, Dallas comes out on top. Nothing wrong with this. Again, this does not mean Houston is a bad sports town.
How are raw numbers more important? Percentages are better to look at with something like this and they are similar. And the lighting isn't dark in the Toyota Center. I wish they would make the lighting dark to cover up the seats that all of those corporate people don't sit in. They all stay in the clubs. If you just saw the upper levels, you'd see differently.

Quote:
Most people don't CARE to drive to the Suburbs on a Sunday afternoon. NFL games are events. It's not the social thing like MLB. I understand your argument for MLB as well. But the NFL is an entirely different animal. Blame Jerry Jones for this anyway. He didn't really care to have the stadium in Dallas anyway. Besides, I think it's dumb they put Joe Robbie 12 miles NORTH of the action of Miami and Miami Beach. But the media still loves the super bowl there. It's not about the stadium to the media members. It's about the city and where's the best place they can get their sun tan and mini vacation.
Did you not see where I said it didn't matter much for the Cowboys because they are the Cowboys and they play a few games out of the year on Sundays.

Quote:
Does not tell me much. They have a Chinese player. Ok, what else. How does that make the Rockets more popular than the Cowboys? It doesn't. Maybe it does in China, I guess.
It tells you many more people know about the Rockets than the Cowboys. Which was my whole point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:10 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It doesn't matter.
The Redskins do not play in the district.
The Dolphins do not play in Miami and is on the Broward County line.
The Jets and Giants haven't played in New York for decades.
Where exactly do the Patriots play?
Does the name Orchard Park ring a bell?
Up until 2002, the Lions played in Pontiac for eons.

It doesn't matter for the NFL. It's a totally different atmosphere than any other sport.
Read my post above.

And it's the New England Patriots, not Boston Patriots.

And at least the Dolphins play in a city with Miami in the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Reputation: 12109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
How are raw numbers more important? Percentages are better to look at with something like this and they are similar. And the lighting isn't dark in the Toyota Center. I wish they would make the lighting dark to cover up the seats that all of those corporate people don't sit in. They all stay in the clubs. If you just saw the upper levels, you'd see differently.
Because raw numbers actually point out how many people are at the game as opposed to a number that deals with capacity of the arena. But if you want to talk about percentages, the Mavericks still outperforms the Rockets and it isn't close. Also, the lighting is dark. No other way around it. It's stupid but that's the way it's been since it opened in 2005.


Quote:
Did you not see where I said it didn't matter much for the Cowboys because they are the Cowboys and they play a few games out of the year on Sundays.

What I'm telling you is that if every team put their stadiums out in the suburbs, it wouldn't mean a thing. It's the NFL. The stadiums are going to get filled no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:14 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Because raw numbers actually point out how many people are at the game as opposed to a number that deals with capacity of the arena. But if you want to talk about percentages, the Mavericks still outperforms the Rockets and it isn't close. Also, the lighting is dark. No other way around it. It's stupid but that's the way it's been since it opened in 2005.
Dark lighting is the Staples Center. It shows you how many people go to the game, but who is to say more tickets wouldn't be sold if the Toyota Center was larger? See what I'm saying?

Quote:
What I'm telling you is that if every team put their stadiums out in the suburbs, it wouldn't mean a thing. It's the NFL. The stadiums are going to get filled no matter what.
And I wasn't disagreeing with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:16 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Miami Gradens is an unincorporated city.
No it isn't. How do you have an unincorporated city anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Reputation: 12109
Quote:
It tells you many more people know about the Rockets than the Cowboys. Which was my whole point.
NO. It doesn't. You're going to have to show me other than it's basketball or Yao Ming plays for them. You cannot sit there and say that the Rockets are more popular than the Cowboys when the Cowboys are more lucrative, more popular, a bigger and more established brand, a far longer winning tradition, a popular and recognized logo, etc. The Rockets do not compare. I'm sorry.

Quote:
And it's the New England Patriots, not Boston Patriots.
Point stands though.
Quote:
And at least the Dolphins play in a city with Miami in the name.
Point still stand though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
3,260 posts, read 8,731,743 times
Reputation: 693
^^^^Sorry I made a mistake, that is why I deleted the message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top