Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
With the direction radio is going in, you would think slim to none. But with Houston’s African-American population growing so fast you never know. I’m no radio expert, but given the size of Houston’s black population I’m just shocked that community has so few stations now. The sheer number of African-Americans living there is staggering for it to have just two stations. Compared to places with similar demographics I’d expect Houston to have at least four stations, two old school and two hip hop stations. So who knows, maybe someone will try to fill the void. I've got to imagine there's enough ad money in that city for more stations.
Yes there are a lot of African-Americans, but there is more than double the number of Hispanics and that demographic seems to be growing faster. As such, the radio market is reflecting that.

The exact same is happening in Dallas. Like Houston, there are a lot more Hispanics than African-Americans here. Like Houston, that demographic is growing a lot faster. Like Houston, there are many more Spanish speaking stations than urban stations. Like Houston, there seems to be a huge shift to add more Spanish speaking stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 09:57 AM

182 posts, read 314,307 times
Hey "yall" its 2010 time to upgrade to satellite radio

Old 07-16-2010, 10:02 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
With the direction radio is going in, you would think slim to none. But with Houston’s African-American population growing so fast you never know. I’m no radio expert, but given the size of Houston’s black population I’m just shocked that community has so few stations now. The sheer number of African-Americans living there is staggering for it to have just two stations. Compared to places with similar demographics I’d expect Houston to have at least four stations, two old school and two hip hop stations. So who knows, maybe someone will try to fill the void. I've got to imagine there's enough ad money in that city for more stations.
The Houston area only has one station that plays purely hip-hop and R&B. Telemundo (or was it Univision?), radio department bought one of the stations. Slowly, it started changing to a Hispanic station, as they starting mixing in a lot of that BS Reggaetone music with the hip-hop/R&B music. Then, that station (use to be Party 104.9) went to a Tejano music station. They decided to make a new hip-hop/R&B station (93.3), but that station had terrible reception and was a repeat of the Reggaetone bs, mixed in with hip-hop/R&B. It wasn't a popular format the second time, and before you knew it, they changed it to another Tejano music station.

97.9 the Box use to be a great station when 104.9 was here and challenged them a lot (before 104.9 started changing). Now that 97.9 is the only urban format in town, they play crappy songs and have stopped playing a lot of local Houston artists (something they had over 104.9). Hopefully, a new urban format comes (and copies the K104 format in Dallas), and the Houston area can have more options.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Slowly, it started changing to a Hispanic station, as they starting mixing in a lot of that BS Reggaetone music with the hip-hop/R&B music. Then, that station (use to be Party 104.9) went to a Tejano music station. They decided to make a new hip-hop/R&B station (93.3), but that station had terrible reception and was a repeat of the Reggaetone bs, mixed in with hip-hop/R&B. It wasn't a popular format the second time, and before you knew it, they changed it to another Tejano music station.

Hey man, give me Reggaeton over modern hip-hop/rap any day of the week. Rap and Hip-hop have gone downhill in recent years.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 AM

182 posts, read 314,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Hey man, give me Reggaeton over modern hip-hop/rap any day of the week. Rap and Hip-hop have gone downhill in recent years.
This.

Rap and Hip Hop are nothing but name brand advertisements. Its ridiculous. I swear I'm sick of hearing Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Jimmy Choo in a rap song. There's a song out called "make up bag" .. What kind of music is that?? .. so sad

Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post
This.

Rap and Hip Hop are nothing but name brand advertisements. Its ridiculous. I swear I'm sick of hearing Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Jimmy Choo in a rap song. There's a song out called "make up bag" .. What kind of music is that?? .. so sad
Haha, my feelings exactly.

Im tired of hearing rap that does nothing but talk about how much money they have, how awesome they are, or about their clothes/rims/bit**es.

The new songs with all the goofy dance moves arent my favorite either, but at least they seem to have fun with them (which is somewhat better).

I like Latin music better. Its more fun and being a musician myself (played drums for 16 years) there is more talent involved in the Latin music than modern rap.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Nah, I don't like Reggaeton (I don't know what they're saying half the time), and to be honest, I dislike most of the rap/hip-hop they use to play on the radio. If I want to listen to Reggaeton music, there needs to be a Tejano "urban" station. The two don't mix together, in my opinion. But honestly, it's gotten a little better this past year on the radio. I hate Soulja Boy's newest elementary rap song that's getting a lot of play on DFW stations (where I'm at right now). And I don't know, cruising to Dorrough around here, even though he doesn't have the best raps, isn't that bad. And if the radio gets too bad, I do have MP3 CDs in the changer.

Quote:
I like Latin music better. Its more fun and being a musician myself (played drums for 16 years) there is more talent involved in the Latin music than modern rap.
I hate it when people pull this. "Talent" is subjective and a lot of these rappers nowadays play instruments.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I hate it when people pull this. "Talent" is subjective and a lot of these rappers nowadays play instruments.
I dont want to make it seem like all rappers have no talent. There are some very talented rappers. Unfortunately, now days, the no-talent assclowns seem to be getting more attention on the radio.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 PM

Drake and Lil Wayne are probably the two most popular rappers right now, and (say what you want about Lil' Wayne), I'd say they're both talented (in different ways). I see what you mean though, but Soulja Boy is probably the least talented rapper out there, aside from Wacka Floca, and it's starting to reflect in his poor record sales.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
What are the chances Houston gets more urban stations?
I say it's a good chance. Waco just recently got it's first urban station; I'd say Houston could easily pull another one. Now in Waco; we get 104.9 Waco Jamz, K104, and 97.9 the beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City