Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
You're about as subtle as a Faces of Death video.

Are they opening within the city limits or in the suburbs? Besides, I already said that I don't think whether a city has a Walmart in it or not determines whether or not its world class. There are other factors at play. But yes, I do feel that Chicago is a world class city in many ways. It has its issues like any other place though. Dallas and Houston are important cities, but they just aren't "there" yet. I will say that Houston is a tad closer though.

It's been fun lovemuffins, but I must be off to the pool as I enjoy my glorious vacation. I am about to sip on a mimosa as I am hand-fed chocolate-covered strawberries as other people ogle my beauty. Ta ta for now!
They are opening up all of the City of Chicago. Now, Walmart is rolling out new formats for these stores (some will be as small as 8,000 square feet), so it's not like you'll see a bunch of Supercenters in Chicago, but there will be some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Haha I know who this one was for! I'll take you up on that, Chicago has a ban on having more than one Wal-Mart in it's city limits, but the suburbs can have an endless amount of them if they want. It has a lot to do with some labor union trash... but I actually haven't heard anything about 12 Wal-Mart's coming into the city. Unless they changed up their regulations or something recently.

And no, you misunderstood my post if I was the one you were directing it too, I think Houston & Dallas are world class cities (they woudn't be world cities on rankings if they weren't) and their emerging to be even more important as the years progress.
But Scarface, can you honestly say that a conversation about Wal-Mart's in an environment (City VS City room) is appropriate? Especially with the notorious amount of hatred and tension these two cities bring into this thread.
I'm just trying to do what's best and trying to keep Houston (and Dallas) from being bashed, it really plays too much into how they go very discredited for what they do have to offer.
I honestly just thought the Wal-Mart thing was a bait for more outsiders to step on in and stomp over them in a thread dedicated to both. It would be like hitting two birds with one stone..
It actually wasn't directed at you (it was to those trying to imply that Walmarts mean a city isn't world class), but good explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:

Not true. Dallas may be lacking in a lot of things regarding city life, but it's top-notch in terms of shopping. Arguably better than Atlanta. And I guess you never heard that Dallas fared pretty well during the economic crisis, plus there is cheap housing.
....heaven help us...is this you saying something positive about dallas?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:35 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
....heaven help us...is this you saying something positive about dallas?

I know, hell hath frozen over I think I've been slipping ...

Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
It's really hard to explain. Dallas just felt like a gigantic suburb and had very little in terms of substance to me. It just felt fake and artificial. It just felt like something was missing when I was there.

And I'm from LA of all places. However, LA has managed to mature, and even though its a sprawling mess, it has some substance to it.

But it's perspective. I went to college in a Northeastern city and lived there afterward for a few years, which gave me a taste for that type of city, and Dallas just didn't deliver to me in that aspect.
It didn't feel like a suburb when I was there. Then again, I was visiting from the Atlanta area.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
It's been fun lovemuffins, but I must be off to the pool as I enjoy my glorious vacation. I am about to sip on a mimosa as I am hand-fed chocolate-covered strawberries as other people ogle my beauty. Ta ta for now!
Easy on the alcohol and chocolate or they'll be no beauty left for any one to ogle over .

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I know! I have seen the renderings, and they look really nice! They're not at the level of your city, but then again what city is? (Besides Los Angeles as far as USA goes) But the concept for a Texas city looks amazing actually.
Hey you gotta start somewhere. Our medical & IT are in their prepubescent stage but we hope to have as many as Houston and Dallas one day. I'll keep dreaming though.

Quote:
The Theme Parks in the Orlando Area are world class attractions in and of themselves. There are even some awesome hotels in the Orlando area. I had a conference at the Gaylord Palms a few years back and found it to be absolutely fabulous. I may not think O-town is world class in but the attractions and amenities are. I even bought a pair of some fierce stilletos at Mall at Millenia when I was there too. You're right, it's all good. I have love for O-Town, believe it or not. I may not want to live there, but I love visiting there. You're never too old for roller coasters or Shamu
Gaylord Palms is awesome, so is Gaylord Texan, I'd love to compare. Glad to hear you have love for O-town but I wasn't trying to steer this thread that way. I just know that the Houston posters feel Orlando's pain of being bashed continually for little reason. Put me in the Houston vs Orlando thread and I'll argue against Houston all day, but Houston vs Dallas, I'll support those cities and give credit where it's due.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 06-29-2010 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: our not out

Old 06-29-2010, 10:01 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It didn't feel like a suburb when I was there. Then again, I was visiting from the Atlanta area.
'Nuff said.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:56 PM

165 posts, read 138,741 times
Dallas is the capital of Fashion in Texas

From upscale malls of Northpark Center, Galleria Dallas, and Highland Park Village.

Other places are catching up to such as West Village,Mockinbird Station, Shouthlake Town Square, The plaza at perston

Old 06-29-2010, 05:59 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_she View Post

From upscale malls of Northpark Center, Galleria Dallas, and Highland Park Village.

Other places are catching up to such as West Village,Mockinbird Station, Shouthlake Town Square, The plaza at perston

Who's malls are better?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 PM

165 posts, read 138,741 times
Dallas malls are better.

There are tons of malls in Dallas

Old 06-29-2010, 07:27 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_she View Post

How many times do you need to repeat this?? That topic is dead now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City