Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live: Miami or San Diego?
Miami 108 31.67%
San Diego 233 68.33%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 12:09 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times

Advertisements

I have actually lived in both cities—downtown San Diego (13 years) and currently Brickell, having moved here from there 3 years ago. Both are good comparisons from a city standpoint since they are roughly the same population size—about 34,000 residents, though Brickell is more vertical/dense/geographically smaller, compact area. Both are on a bay and 10-12 minutes from the nearest beach. Both have somewhat similar neighborhoods outside of their respective downtowns—Little Havana/Barrio Logan, North Park + South Park/Coral Way, maybe Wynwood/Midtown, Hillcrest/Coral Gables + Coconut Grove, etc to go with a East Village/Downtown Miami comparison.

I am taking Miami (city as well as MSA) by a mile...better restaurants, better nightlife, upscale mall (SD’s Horton Plaza is being redeveloped, hoping to attract small business), more modern buildings, cleaner, better infrastructure (roads and water mains are in poor shape in SD), better looking women. Brickell has a financial district whereas there is no notable industry in downtown SD (both have law firms). SD does have more diverse neighborhoods but its Gaslamp is their touristy Ocean Drive (which many, not all, locals avoid once they reach 30) and it does have a beautiful downtown ballpark (vs needing to take Metromover to the AA Arena or Uber to the baseball park, both of which are close to but outside Brickell). I lived in arguably the nicest area of downtown SD in one of the top rated buildings yet had to deal with the homeless issue in San Diego—it is only a blip on the radar in Brickell, nothing at all compared to SD’s problem. One could argue Miami Beach is a second city as well and none of the SD beach communities can match up with it from a city/urban perspective either.

For all this talk of how much better educated the people in San Diego are vs Miami and how people earn so little in Florida, the average household income in Brickell is $125,000 vs $73,000 in downtown SD....that struck me as a little odd at first but maybe not considering 1/4 - 1/3 of the people in my building are MD’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brickell

https://www.sandiegomagazine.com/gui...0645f50ba.html

I had moved to SD from suburban Orange County (think Boca—not exactly exciting) hoping downtown would turn into a West Coast Miami; however, sexy and sophisticated is not in SD’s urban DNA. SD likes to think of itself as more of a big town (or collection of small towns) rather than a city, and a beach town—not an urban one—at that. Reason why I pick Miami hands down as a city as well. While you might go insane living in Miami (city or MSA), I outgrew/got bored with San Diego, having grown up in NY and also lived in SF as a basis of comparison.

If you are going to compare cities or MSA, San Diego is probably more on par and has more in common with Tampa, Tampa/St Pete than Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
To LIVE? San Diego.
Miami is cool for a weekend visit, but anything longer and I'd go insane.
There are nice areas in the metro, though. I was just in Weston, and it's a very enjoyable town.

MSA vs MSA, Miami.
City vs city, San Diego.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-17-2020 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 01:24 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Now that it's 2020 and I've been to Miami a few times since this thread first started, Miami has earned a few points with me. It's public transportation system improved, especially if you include the Brightline which will soon connect with Orlando. The crime rate has come down a lot, but of course not yet on San Diego's level. There's been a lot of development in Downtown, and I've always liked the Latin/Cuban culture (especially the music).

I still wouldn't change my vote though, as I'd still prefer San Diego overall for living. For visiting, Miami.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:03 PM

156 posts, read 173,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I have actually lived in both cities—downtown San Diego (13 years) and currently Brickell, having moved here from there 3 years ago. Both are good comparisons from a city standpoint since they are roughly the same population size—about 34,000 residents, though Brickell is more vertical/dense/geographically smaller, compact area. Both are on a bay and 10-12 minutes from the nearest beach. Both have somewhat similar neighborhoods outside of their respective downtowns—Little Havana/Barrio Logan, North Park + South Park/Coral Way, maybe Wynwood/Midtown, Hillcrest/Coral Gables + Coconut Grove, etc to go with a East Village/Downtown Miami comparison.

I am taking Miami (city as well as MSA) by a mile...better restaurants, better nightlife, upscale mall (SD’s Horton Plaza is being redeveloped, hoping to attract small business), more modern buildings, cleaner, better infrastructure (roads and water mains are in poor shape in SD), better looking women. Brickell has a financial district whereas there is no notable industry in downtown SD (both have law firms). SD does have more diverse neighborhoods but its Gaslamp is their touristy Ocean Drive (which many, not all, locals avoid once they reach 30) and it does have a beautiful downtown ballpark (vs needing to take Metromover to the AA Arena or Uber to the baseball park, both of which are close to but outside Brickell). I lived in arguably the nicest area of downtown SD in one of the top rated buildings yet had to deal with the homeless issue in San Diego—it is only a blip on the radar in Brickell, nothing at all compared to SD’s problem. One could argue Miami Beach is a second city as well and none of the SD beach communities can match up with it from a city/urban perspective either.

For all this talk of how much better educated the people in San Diego are vs Miami and how people earn so little in Florida, the average household income in Brickell is $125,000 vs $73,000 in downtown SD....that struck me as a little odd at first but maybe not considering 1/4 - 1/3 of the people in my building are MD’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brickell

https://www.sandiegomagazine.com/gui...0645f50ba.html

I had moved to SD from suburban Orange County (think Boca—not exactly exciting) hoping downtown would turn into a West Coast Miami; however, sexy and sophisticated is not in SD’s urban DNA. SD likes to think of itself as more of a big town (or collection of small towns) rather than a city, and a beach town—not an urban one—at that. Reason why I pick Miami hands down as a city as well. While you might go insane living in Miami (city or MSA), I outgrew/got bored with San Diego, having grown up in NY and also lived in SF as a basis of comparison.

If you are going to compare cities or MSA, San Diego is probably more on par and has more in common with Tampa, Tampa/St Pete than Miami.
You are right on the money with this post.. You went into much more detail than I did, but this was my overall experience as well.. I'm actually from New York as well, but lived in San Diego for many years, then ultimately moved back east. San Diego, although it technically is a big city by numbers, just doesn't feel so.. I was bored as hell living there after about 2 - 3 years, although I ended up staying several more.
The Gaslamp district downtown is indeed a nice area, tons of bars, restaurants, clubs.. but everything is shuttered by 1:30 - 2:00, and it's a ghost town after. The other major nightlife area, which is also one of SD's premier beach neighborhoods is Pacific Beach, and that is a place to be avoided if you're over 25...loool... It would technically be a counterpoint to Miami Beach, but as you noted, it isn't in the same universe as Miami Beach... and as you wrote, NONE of San Diegos other beach neighborhoods hold a candle to Miamis.... San Diego is a great place to visit, but not to live.. Miami is a far better city and metropolitan area...

Old 02-17-2020, 02:27 PM

^ ^ ^

In fairness, SD is better IF you are into certain outdoor activities such as surfing (1% of the US population actually surfs) or mountain hiking. Neither of these activities appeal to me nor would I equate them with urbanity. One might also think cycling, but there are a ton of bicycle riders out on the streets of Miami, particularly on weekends.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:37 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
^ ^ ^

In fairness, SD is better IF you are into certain outdoor activities such as surfing (1% of the US population actually surfs) or mountain hiking. Neither of these activities appeal to me nor would I equate them with urbanity. One might also think cycling, but there are a ton of bicycle riders out on the streets of Miami, particularly on weekends.
Your post at the top of the page was great. Like I said, I was in Weston over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised at how nice some of the suburbs I had never seen before really are. Most of my experience in Miami prior to this was within city limits, and frankly, outside of Brickell and Coral Gables, most of it was pretty run-down. Then again, this might be a Florida issue, as I see a similar pattern in Orlando outside of Downtown/Thornton/Eola/College Park/Ivanhoe.

That said, I’d live in Brickell in a heartbeat. As a matter of fact, once the kids are older and moved out, I just might do that if I decide to stay in Florida. But the rest of Miami city limits? Absolutely not. Love the culture and vibe for a visit, but living there would be tough.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:09 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
I would much rather live in Miami. Is it my imagination or does San Diego seem more of a big town than a large city? I go down there occasionally on a weekend getaway.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:20 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Miami

Old 02-19-2020, 06:17 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times
Wow, San Diego won the poll 70-30!

Both cities have great attributes. I prefer San Diego because I think the standard of living is higher, despite not having as many big city amenities. I've lived in a number of global cities and I've learned to take SD for what it is. Overall, it probably has one of the highest standards of living in the U.S.

I think there are a lot more downsides to living in Miami compared to San Diego. Frankly, I think the only thing Miami definitively has over SD is bigger city amenities (nightlife, airport, etc.). And frankly, SD is right next to LA so it's not impossible to access them.

I think SD generally is better for many important QOL measures (schools, jobs/pay, crime, etc.).

Old 02-19-2020, 06:25 PM

99% of the responses were from 2013 and prior (it's only the last page or so that someone--not me--revived this topic). Both cities have made progress since then, though Miami at a much faster pace as developers rule this city (give them an inch and they will take a mile) whereas the SD City Commission and Port always find a way to slow things down and make it more difficult to get things built and done.

One point I did not make that you have touched on--San Diego would definitely be better for suburban living, not urban/city living and city amenities.

The advantage SD has in jobs is in STEM--which I alluded to in a different thread this morning accounts for only 6% of all US labor force jobs per the BLS (probably a little bit higher than the national average in SD thanks to biotech--though it pales in comparison to the size of IT--medical devices and defense contractors....Miami has a definite edge in finance. Higher taxes, higher home prices, higher DMV fees, higher utilities (hard to believe, but true), and higher gas prices chip away at the pay advantage. Best not to settle for being average or median income levels in either city. People in SD are definitely more chill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Wow, San Diego won the poll 70-30!

Both cities have great attributes. I prefer San Diego because I think the standard of living is higher, despite not having as many big city amenities. I've lived in a number of global cities and I've learned to take SD for what it is. Overall, it probably has one of the highest standards of living in the U.S.

I think there are a lot more downsides to living in Miami compared to San Diego. Frankly, I think the only thing Miami definitively has over SD is bigger city amenities (nightlife, airport, etc.). And frankly, SD is right next to LA so it's not impossible to access them.

I think SD generally is better for many important QOL measures (schools, jobs/pay, crime, etc.).

Last edited by elchevere; 02-19-2020 at 07:02 PM..

Old 02-19-2020, 07:08 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
San Diego. Too many racist right wing South Americans and Cubans in Miami..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City