Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:55 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Cities Pop 65,000+
20%+ Asian, 2008

Milpitas, CA 62.2% SF Bay Area
Daly City, CA 58.4% SF Bay Area
Honolulu, HI 52.3% Honolulu
Fremont, CA 48.9% SF Bay Area
Alhambra, CA 48.5% Los Angeles Area
Westminster, CA 41.0% Los Angeles Area
Santa Clara, CA 39.8% SF Bay Area
Sunnyvale, CA 38.8% SF Bay Area
Irvine, CA 36.5% Los Angeles Area
Torrance, CA 35.9% Los Angeles Area
Edison, NJ 35.7% New York Area
Garden Grove, CA 33.9% Los Angeles Area
San Francisco, CA 31.2% SF Bay Area
San Jose, CA 30.8% SF Bay Area
Sugar Land, TX 30.7% Houston Area
Thanks for posting -- so it's even higher than I originally said...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
As far as Pacific Islanders(such as myself-LOL), The Census Bureau says this is their 2008 Population
Honolulu, HI MSA 76,675
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA 50,700
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA 40,311
Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA CSA 23,807
Salt Lake City-Ogden-Clearfield, UT 16,555
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 14,800
Sacramento-Arden Arcade-Roseville, CA CSA 14,169
Las Vegas-Paradise-Pahrump, NV CSA 9,131
Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA MSA 7,627
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ MSA 7,152
New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA 6,444
Dallas-Ft Worth, TX 5,637
I think its surprising how many Polynesians there are in CA considering the population of Tonga and the Samoan Islands collectively is only about 350,000. Do you know how large a percentage of any of these figures is not Tongan or Samoan? I imagine a decent amount must also be Hawaiian or Fijian too.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:01 PM

515 posts, read 1,059,234 times
Northern VA has a lot of Asians but probably nothing comparable to the Bay area.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:28 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPI View Post
A lot of great answers but many of you are listing cities and not "metro areas" or just listing population percentages within metro areas.

My question is other than Greater Seattle and San Francisco Bay Area are there any other metros that Asian Pacific Americans make up the largest minority meaning they outnumber blacks and Latinos.
Pacific islanders aren't the largest minority in either Seattle's or SF's CSA...

Old 10-05-2009, 01:45 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I think its surprising how many Polynesians there are in CA considering the population of Tonga and the Samoan Islands collectively is only about 350,000. Do you know how large a percentage of any of these figures is not Tongan or Samoan? I imagine a decent amount must also be Hawaiian or Fijian too.
Tongans are woefully undercounted by the Census Bureau.

Tongans are concentrated in San Mateo and Alameda Counties. Samoans in San Francisco, Alameda and Santa Clara Counties. I believe those 2 groups together constitute a majority of the Polys in the Bay Area.

Hawaiians, Tahitians, Maoris and Fijians are also very visible.

I think the Fijian population is growing fastest(but they are also a bit smaller than the others)

Old 10-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Pacific islanders aren't the largest minority in either Seattle's or SF's CSA...
I think they were combining Asians along with Pacific Islanders.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Tongans are woefully undercounted by the Census Bureau.

Tongans are concentrated in San Mateo and Alameda Counties. Samoans in San Francisco, Alameda and Santa Clara Counties. I believe those 2 groups together constitute a majority of the Polys in the Bay Area.
I think so too. My perception has always been that those two groups accounted for the vast majority here.

I know for the West Bay if we didn't know if someone was either Tongan or Samoan the formula was pretty much if they were from San Bruno and south they were Tongan, and from SSF and north they were Samoan lol. It was pretty accurate. But when it came to the East Bay and South Bay it was a lot less clear.

Quote:
Hawaiians, Tahitians, Maoris and Fijians are also very visible.

I think the Fijian population is growing fastest(but they are also a bit smaller than the others)
I used to know a bunch from San Bruno, but they were all Fijian Indian. I don't recall knowing any native Fijians. Hawaiians I've known plenty (or at least people who were part Hawaiian), Tahitians I haven't known any personally, and I knew one dude in high school who was part Maori. I've known several Chamorros too, but I wasn't sure if they qualify as Polynesian.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I think so too. My perception has always been that those two groups accounted for the vast majority here.

I know for the West Bay if we didn't know if someone was either Tongan or Samoan the formula was pretty much if they were from San Bruno and south they were Tongan, and from SSF and north they were Samoan lol. It was pretty accurate. But when it came to the East Bay and South Bay it was a lot less clear.
There are many Tongans(Well many is a relative term cause its not many compared to the entire population-LOL) in SSF too-not too sure about Samoans but you probably know better than me regarding their whereabouts on the Peninsula. In the City proper its definitely more Samoan-they are very few Tongans in SF.

San Mateo down to Redwood City/EPA, there are tons of Tongans.

In San Jose Tongans are far more spread out, not in any particular areas.

Over here in the East Bay, Oakland has I think the most Tongans within any city limits in the Bay Area these days. There are about 12 Tongan Churches, Tongan restaurants, supermarkets, businesses of sorts. Not really concentrated in one area but spread out over East Oakland and the hills. I think I'm the only Tongan in the Rockridge area tho. LOL-aside from the nannies and caregivers I always run into at Trader Joe's. And Tongans outnumber all other Poly groups by a sizable margin but this is not reflected in Census data which is baffling to us. I sit on the board of a Poly community group in Oakland and we are feverishly working on making sure that the numbers of all our groups are as accurately reported as possible.

Anyway, San Leandro has many Tongans well-most of them moved there from Oakland to find nicer neighborhoods.

As far as Hayward, to my knowledge most of the Tongans in Hayward actually came from San Mateo County because its like 50% cheaper than SM. There are many Tongan churches there too.

Union City and Fremont also have many Tongans.

Antioch, Brentwood, Pittsburg(Hy 4 corridor) has many that moved there from the Inner Bay Area cause of those big, new and cheap houses. Concord has a pretty large group as well.

Vallejo, Richmond and Fairfield also has visible Tongan populations.

In our latest count, we see a fast emerging population of Tongans in the Tri Valley towns of Dublin, Pleasanton, San Ramon and Livermore. Many of them are wealthier Tongans. Not a huge number yet but we see a pattern developing.

If we look at the whole state, Id guess that either Sacramento or Oakland have the most Tongans in city limits. Possibly LA-but I doubt it. At least a third of LAs Tongans have moved to Utah or the Inland Empire in the past 2 decades. Its very interesting to see that development.

Quote:
I used to know a bunch from San Bruno, but they were all Fijian Indian. I don't recall knowing any native Fijians. Hawaiians I've known plenty (or at least people who were part Hawaiian), Tahitians I haven't known any personally, and I knew one dude in high school who was part Maori. I've known several Chamorros too, but I wasn't sure if they qualify as Polynesian.
I suppose Chamorros count too.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:10 PM

358 posts, read 755,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Outside the big 5 cities (NYC, CHI, LA, SF, DC), Houston has the largest Filipino population. I wish we got our consulate back! L.A. is too far (and why did we get moved from the jurisdiction of closer Chicago?). The Philippine government should consider re-opening the Houston Consulate-General office.
No it doesn't. Did you just make that up? Seattle, Honolulu, San Diego, San Jose, Las Vegas all have larger Filipino populations than Houston. Look it up.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
No it doesn't. Did you just make that up? Seattle, Honolulu, San Diego, San Jose, Las Vegas all have larger Filipino populations than Houston. Look it up.
Yes, I don't know where he got his info but its a little off.

MSAs by Filipino Population, 2008

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA 389,134
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA 244,068
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA 198,369
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 138,427
Honolulu, HI 124,140
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI 103,055
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA 86,342
Riverside-San Bernardino, CA 84,154
Las Vegas-Paradise, NV 70,342
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA 58,714
Sacramento-Arden Arcade-Roseville, CA 54,269
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 48,766
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA 42,402
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX 37,445
Stockton, CA 35,270
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC 29,186
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD 25,896
Kahului-Wailuku, HI 23,015
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ 22,564
Dallas-Ft Worth-Arlington, TX 21,949
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City