Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Based on the criteria below, which state best fills the criteria in your opinion?
Ohio 26 41.27%
Michigan 37 58.73%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:24 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,450,244 times

Advertisements

Yes, God forbid we have any Bible believers in these parts. Sorry to dissapoint the liberal contributors, but there's more than plenty God fearing, Bible believing folks in Michigan and Ohio. You haven't breeded us out just yet.

As for the comparison, Michigan by the widest of margins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 05:25 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
But that is temporary. It certainly wasn't always that way and no reason to think it always will be. Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids are doing about as well (or better) as any Ohio city except maybe Columbus.
Those cities are small potatoes though--Detroit is Michigan's main economic driver, and nothing I've seen purports to place the crisis they're facing as "temporary". The very foundation of Detroit's economy is crumbling--what is going to magically bring it back? I'm not saying Detroit is a lost cause, but what we're witnessing there isn't just some usual cycle of up-and-down. The city has lost more than half of its population from its peak 50 years ago, and continues to lose residents at an alarming rate. This isn't some temporary blip, this is a substantial crisis.

Quote:
Regardless my point was that metropolitan Detroit is a larger (population) metro than any metro in Ohio and that it has more to offer than any one metro in Ohio.
And I would disagree with that assessment. A city is only as good as the life it affords its citizens, and right now Detroit is not particularly succeeding with that. What opportunities are offered in Detroit that are unavailable in, say, Columbus or Cleveland? Or, put another way, what would a resident of one of those cities *gain* by moving to Detroit? After all, if the argument is that Detroit being bigger = better opportunity, then certainly something must exist that would cause people to leave their current home and migrate there.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:27 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Yes, God forbid we have any Bible believers in these parts.
It's not the Bible-believing part that is the problem--I'm a church goer myself. It's the associated intolerance, bigotry and hate that so often accompanies it.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:22 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,072,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Those cities are small potatoes though--Detroit is Michigan's main economic driver, and nothing I've seen purports to place the crisis they're facing as "temporary". The very foundation of Detroit's economy is crumbling--what is going to magically bring it back? I'm not saying Detroit is a lost cause, but what we're witnessing there isn't just some usual cycle of up-and-down. The city has lost more than half of its population from its peak 50 years ago, and continues to lose residents at an alarming rate. This isn't some temporary blip, this is a substantial crisis.

And I would disagree with that assessment. A city is only as good as the life it affords its citizens, and right now Detroit is not particularly succeeding with that. What opportunities are offered in Detroit that are unavailable in, say, Columbus or Cleveland? Or, put another way, what would a resident of one of those cities *gain* by moving to Detroit? After all, if the argument is that Detroit being bigger = better opportunity, then certainly something must exist that would cause people to leave their current home and migrate there.
It's not the city losing people causing alarm, its the state! In 2008 it was one of two states to lose population and in the local Detroit newspaper, they pointed out a family leaves Michigan every 12 minutes.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:23 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
It's not the Bible-believing part that is the problem--I'm a church goer myself. It's the associated intolerance, bigotry and hate that so often accompanies it.
That faction is a very loud and visible minority of Christians...most are decent, tolerant people.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:38 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,956 times
Quote:
Thank you. My thoughts exactly. It has always amazed me how many churchgoers are the most racist, hateful, and ignorant, and the most willing to resort to war as a way to settle disputes. Maybe it's just me, but this seems like exactly the OPPOSITE of what the bible said.

Rep points to you, 14thandyou.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:39 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That faction is a very loud and visible minority of Christians...most are decent, tolerant people.
So are most muslims.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:43 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
So are most muslims.
Most Muslims are decent, tolerant people...and are not violent. I guess some people judge the entire faith by the actions a very small number.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 10-08-2009 at 07:58 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Still, I would argue that Northwestern Ohioans, from Toledo and the nothing-land surrounding it, seen to have more of the Michigan persona.
You know, those are fighting words in those parts!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:53 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Regardless my point was that metropolitan Detroit is a larger (population) metro than any metro in Ohio and that it has more to offer than any one metro in Ohio.
Aside from Detroit having access to Canada, please name one thing Detroit has you can't find in the three Cs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City