Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, which region's transit system is the best:
Atlanta's 'Marta' 116 78.91%
Miami-Dade County's Transit System 31 21.09%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:58 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,166,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
It will have a Metrorail station, Metrobus station, Metromover station, Tri-Rail station, Taxi station, I think you will even be able to rent bikes.

http://www.micdot.com/popup/mic_program.jpg
Who would ride a bike on the streets of Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Who would ride a bike on the streets of Miami?
Lmao, good point, I mean I've seen people ride bikes in Miami. Sometimes it feels like it's crazier riding a bike in Miami than Manhattan though.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:14 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Lmao, good point, I mean I've seen people ride bikes in Miami. Sometimes it feels like it's crazier riding a bike in Miami than Manhattan though.
Riding a bike through the streets of Midtown Atlanta.

YouTube - biking in midtown atlanta 3/2/07

Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
^ Nice video, riding a bike in a city is always fun and challenging, it gives you an adrenaline rush. I used to ride my bike in Manhattan, that never got boring.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
But at least the Tr-Rail regional rail serving Miami is pretty good. It is long enough to be useful and is probably the only such line in the US serving three international airports!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
I have to laugh about all this mention of the different transit "options" for getting around Miami. Metromover is limited to the CBD, unlike most "light rail" systems, and the water taxi service is only in Fort Laurderdale, 30 miles north of Miami! For the most part, you get the bus, or Metrorail if you're lucky and perhaps ride Metromover a few blocks...but that's all. Having to transfer is a BAD thing!

Tri-rail is pretty useless because it does not actually "serve" anyone--you always end up transferring to various shuttle/city busses to actually get to/from the job/population centers/airports. In the case of Miami, it's about a half hour on the Metrorail from the Tri-Rail transfer point to downtown. Pathetic! Also, tri-rail runs on an extremely limited schedule.

Even Metrorail only runs every 7 minutes during peak rush hour...and more than half of the line goes through low-density ghetto areas (thanks to local politics). The few useful stations at the southern end of the line, though, are packed in rush hour and the garages fill up by 8 am, which shows that transit in the MIA has potential...if we'd only build things where there is actual growth and density, not based on politics!

And no, we don't bike around Miami, you'll see bikes in the ghetto and a few brave souls on the beach, that's about it.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I have to laugh about all this mention of the different transit "options" for getting around Miami. Metromover is limited to the CBD, unlike most "light rail" systems, and the water taxi service is only in Fort Laurderdale, 30 miles north of Miami! For the most part, you get the bus, or Metrorail if you're lucky and perhaps ride Metromover a few blocks...but that's all. Having to transfer is a BAD thing!

Tri-rail is pretty useless because it does not actually "serve" anyone--you always end up transferring to various shuttle/city busses to actually get to/from the job/population centers/airports. In the case of Miami, it's about a half hour on the Metrorail from the Tri-Rail transfer point to downtown. Pathetic! Also, tri-rail runs on an extremely limited schedule.

Even Metrorail only runs every 7 minutes during peak rush hour...and more than half of the line goes through low-density ghetto areas (thanks to local politics). The few useful stations at the southern end of the line, though, are packed in rush hour and the garages fill up by 8 am, which shows that transit in the MIA has potential...if we'd only build things where there is actual growth and density, not based on politics!

And no, we don't bike around Miami, you'll see bikes in the ghetto and a few brave souls on the beach, that's about it.

Horrible Post

Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Horrible Post
How so? For having a different opinion than you? I found it to be a pretty good post.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post

We used to take the Tri-Rail from West Palm to Miami. It has alot of potential, but it's just so out of the way from all the points of interest.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:51 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
[quote=pvande55;17118995]But at least the Tr-Rail regional rail serving Miami is pretty good. It is long enough to be useful and is probably the only such line in the US serving three international airports![/quote]
This is true. I can't think of any other commuter rail system that has this advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City