Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the better economy and is better for looking for jobs?
New York City 71 67.62%
Chicago 34 32.38%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,286 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been posted before, so I apologize, but trends and things change and are changing currently. But anyway's, Chicago's economy is so bad, I have not been able to find a job for one whole year while even applying to the most menial jobs, like McDonalds and Target, etc. It's rediculous and extremely aggrevating. My friend from Long Island who is currently living in Manhattan encourages me to come to NYC cause the job market is way better here. Yet, I look on the NYC forum and even though the job market is terrible everywhere, everyone is saying the job market in NYC is completely unreliable and terrible, that no one can find jobs and it is not worth moving to NYC to look for a job. I think this is kinda hard to believe because NYC is so big and the economy is so diverse that there has to be somewhat of a decent job market. Meanwhile Chicago is in the dumps, and everyone there seems to swear the economy is OK, yet no one seems to have jobs, while everyone in NYC does. So which do you think has the better economy right now in this downturn, and which do you think is the better option to live in, in terms of looking for employment? Not necessarily in terms of careers, but work (ie warehouses, retail, customer service, cleaning, etc.). Thanks.

Last edited by Banx; 10-11-2009 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:54 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
The economy is bad everywhere. Even in NYC it is hard to find a job because there is so much competition. It is affecting every american in the US. Apply online for a job at NYC first to make sure you can get a job, because imagine that you move to NYC and then you would not be able to find a job. Most applications can be filled out online nowadays. Times are hard everywhere it is not just Chicago. Remember that we are in the recession. Also, NYC is very expensive. So you must have a good job if you want to live good. A friend of mine got laid off because a company went out of business. He was one of the top dogs of the company. However, I voted for NYC because there are more jobs there and more competition.

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 10-11-2009 at 10:25 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 10:01 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,634 times
I think New York is a better environment for employment, although it strongly depends on the industry you are looking into. Chicago's economy is frightening to me. It seems to carry a strong sense of instability. Chicago is in the Midwest, which has struggled economically, due to unionization, heavy taxation, and grossly inflated real estate. New York has also struggled with some of these things, but to a lesser extent in my opinion.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:57 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
I cant find a job in Chicago either.
Just like you said, not even at Mcdonalds, target, suburban walmarts, etc.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:11 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I cant find a job in Chicago either.
Just like you said, not even at Mcdonalds, target, suburban walmarts, etc.
Oh wow not even at Mcdonalds? Well yeah then the economy is better in NYC.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:11 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
nyc probably. hell, last year I literally applied to the whole strip(payless, best buy, tj max, quiznos, target, old navy, wll mart, dollar store and more)......and i still didnt find ANYTHING.
A friend of mine told me to call the managers and they all said "everything is full" WTF

Last edited by mas23; 10-12-2009 at 06:27 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 07:50 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I Chicago's economy is frightening to me. It seems to carry a strong sense of instability. Chicago is in the Midwest, which has struggled economically, due to unionization, heavy taxation, and grossly inflated real estate. New York has also struggled with some of these things, but to a lesser extent in my opinion.
Oh that's right. New York City has no unions, has low taxes, and is well known for cheap real estate.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I think New York is a better environment for employment, although it strongly depends on the industry you are looking into. Chicago's economy is frightening to me. It seems to carry a strong sense of instability. Chicago is in the Midwest, which has struggled economically, due to unionization, heavy taxation, and grossly inflated real estate. New York has also struggled with some of these things, but to a lesser extent in my opinion.
This makes absolutely no sense. For one thing, unions haven't had any real power since Ronald Reagan destroyed them back in the 80's. As for heavy taxation, NYC is far more taxed than Chicago and the real estate prices in Manhattan are about as "grossly inflated" as you can get. People who make less than $54,000 a year qualify for low-income housing in Manhattan, so that should give you a clue as to how over-priced it is to live there.

As for which city has the better economy, I'm going to have to say Chicago. Chicago is said to have the most diverse economy of any city in the US. Conversely, NYC is heavily reliant on the financial services industry, which has taken a huge hit since last fall.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:22 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
4 people actually voted Chicago?!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
NYC, larger economy and metro area with far more jobs and opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City