Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 08:01 AM

164 posts, read 365,957 times

Advertisements

what are the major differences between san francisco and sacramento? I know more about san fran but have never been to sac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I lived in Sacramento for 3 years before moving back to the Bay Area.

Sacramento is only about 90 miles from San Francisco.

Many people from the Bay Area have moved there over the past 20 years because its more affordable but not that far away. Also, many of the Bay Area people I know who relocated there did so because the political climate is more balanced(and I have to agree that it is. When I was living there I never encountered so many conservatives-they arent so bad after all).

Sacramento is actually more racially diverse than SF but I think SF is more ethnically diverse. Sacramento is much greener as its known in CA as 'the city of trees' because of the beautiful canopy of trees that seems to cover much of the city. I also found that people in Sacramento were very down to earth.

Sacramento is only about 100 Miles from Lake Tahoe/Reno. Wine Country(Napa Valley) sits in between Sacramento and SF and SF itself is about 1.5 hrs by car in no traffic. And then there's Yosemite, Monterey and the beautiful coastal areas of Northern CA and you quickly discover that Sacramento has a great location.

San Francisco is well, San Francisco. One of the world's most famous and well like cities. I don't think I need to say much more about The City or The Bay Area.

Solano County is where these 2 metropolitan areas are coming together. Part of the Bay Area, Solano County(as well as Contra Costa County) has become an employment destination for thousands of people from Yolo and Sacramento Counties. Conversely many people from Solano County work in the Sacramento Area.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:07 PM

8 posts, read 18,193 times
I like Sac, I grew up there. However, it is hard to compare. Its like milwaukee to chicago.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:13 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
SF
Surrounded on water on 3 sides, lots of hills, large portion of the city developed before ww2
tourism is its major industry
most expensive real estate in the country
most neighborhoods are expensive a few are really dumpy
the majority of residents rent
not alot of foreclosures
cold and foggy in the summer
very liberal city
700k population squeezed into very little space, very dense, diverse forms of public transit
Lost of entertainment venues
The majority of residents are white or Chinese

Sac
By and large a post ww2 town
Flat and with rivers on two sides
Government is the largest employer
Most real estate is affordable
Most people own homes
a few neighborhoods are good, a few bad, most are hit or miss(the suburbs are different of course)
a lot of foreclosures
Hot and dry in the summer
Very diverse politics
Very diverse in terms or racial make up
The city is not very dense and is sprawled out, public transit options are fewer and more limited
Not as many entertainment venues as larger places such as the bay area or La area have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City