Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:30 AM

218 posts, read 1,240,792 times

Advertisements

There has been much discussion about this topic that I've been involved in, so I've decided to make a thread for it.Anyhow, most US cities have their areas that are perceived as good and their areas that are perceived as bad.

But in what cities, are the good (ie wealthy/affluent/touristy/gentrified) areas even dangerous? In what cities is crime dispersed everywhere (or almost everywhere), and you have a good chance of being a victim of mugging or some other random crime anywhere you go, even the nice parts of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:04 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
I would have to say that in Orlando, even the nice areas have some criminal element. But I guess it depends on what is "nice." Where I live, there are homes from $250 - $1m, and there have been several shootings, a stabbing, one guy was shooting at the police through his front door, etc... even our Publix was held up at 11am a few months ago.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Definitely Houston.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:08 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
Chicago

Old 11-04-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I would have to say that in Orlando, even the nice areas have some criminal element. But I guess it depends on what is "nice." Where I live, there are homes from $250 - $1m, and there have been several shootings, a stabbing, one guy was shooting at the police through his front door, etc... even our Publix was held up at 11am a few months ago.
Does this extend to the theme park areas? Are tourists often victimized by this crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Chicago
Wow. When I was there I did not get that impression at all. Looking at homicide maps, it looks VERY segregated by neighborhood...the gentrified northside areas and downtown had none, while the southside and westside had tons. I am under the impression Chicago is very different from what I'm talking about....it's a city where the nice areas are safe and the bad areas are dangerous.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:53 AM

27 posts, read 40,438 times
New Orleans, every nice area has a ghetto twist to it. Even in Uptown near St. Charles ave. (lined with mansion after mansion, old money and yuppies) has crime. Same with suburbs even like Kenner and Gretna. These areas aren't necessarily DANGEROUS dangerous, but not entirely safe either, especially when compared to nice areas of other cities.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:04 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,576 times
i would say that any major city is dangerous where-ever you go.

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Atlanta more recently

902 posts, read 2,787,928 times
It seems to be like this in San Francisco, due to the fact that it is so small in area it makes it easy for the crime to spill over into adjacent affluent neighborhoods. Crime is still prevalent in the Western Addition a hugely gentrified area, and nice areas such as Union Square and Pacific Heights.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsThaBadGuy View Post
New Orleans, every nice area has a ghetto twist to it. Even in Uptown near St. Charles ave. (lined with mansion after mansion, old money and yuppies) has crime. Same with suburbs even like Kenner and Gretna. These areas aren't necessarily DANGEROUS dangerous, but not entirely safe either, especially when compared to nice areas of other cities.
This was one city I was expecting to see mentioned. New Orleans is unique because it's both such a major tourist destination, such a historic city, and so crime filled. It would be similar to Cape Town and Rio de Janeiro in these regards, moreso than to any American cities.

How bad is crime in the French Quarter and Garden District, and other main tourist zones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
It seems to be like this in San Francisco, due to the fact that it is so small in area it makes it easy for the crime to spill over into adjacent affluent neighborhoods. Crime is still prevalent in the Western Addition a hugely gentrified area, and nice areas such as Union Square and Pacific Heights.
I got that impression somewhat in San Francisco. There is not that much extreme crime (save for areas like Hunter's Point) but a lot of petty crime, and it's widespread. On one street, I noticed on a Sunday morning, a whole bunch of cars had broken windows. This was in the area west of city hall, east of Alamo Square. I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of petty crime in this area...a lot of bars on windows.

In the north end, it did not seem so bad in comparison, however. Less bars on windows, less evidence and appearance of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City