Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:02 PM

28 posts, read 103,168 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a straight-up comparison of rents (e.g. 1bdrm apartment) in Chicago, Philly, and Boston.

In Chicago: Northside
In Philly: Center City
In Boston: City Center area

Basically, safe areas, lots of wall to wall independent clothing stores, coffee shops, restaurants, etc. Doesn't have to be fancy digs, but not a rathole, and wife can walk safely at night.

It's really hard to tell from Craigslist, b/c the rents seem all over the map, and I don't recognize most of the non-Chicago neighborhoods. But My best guess is:
Chicago Northside: avg $800+
Philadelphia Center City: avg $900+
Boston City Center area: avg $1000+

Can anyone confirm whether this is accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,399 times
Chicago's North Side is all about location. Jefferson Park is obviously going to be cheaper than Wrigleyville, and neighborhoods closer to downtown.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:28 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,950 times
It's not accurate for Boston unless you are looking at very small apartments. $1,000 will get you a place in an interesting neighborhood that's a bit out from the core, but it will not get you something decent that's downtown.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:38 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Chicago's North Side is all about location. Jefferson Park is obviously going to be cheaper than Wrigleyville, and neighborhoods closer to downtown.
Chicago's northside, even if you limit it to desirable northside areas close to the el, covers probably greater than 20 sq miles, and rental rates will vary greatly depending on which one of multiple neighborhoods you choose. (Actually the desirable neighborhoods of Chicago's northside are probably larger in area than the entire city of Boston.)

Last edited by oakparkdude; 11-04-2009 at 02:37 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 8,035 times
that's about right for CC Philadelphia studio's.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:31 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
It's not accurate for Boston unless you are looking at very small apartments. $1,000 will get you a place in an interesting neighborhood that's a bit out from the core, but it will not get you something decent that's downtown.
I agree. You'll have to look several miles out from Boston's downtown before you find an apt for $1,000. Doubt you could even find a studio in Chinatown for that $.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
I just looked at rent.com and the cheapest I could find for (central) Boston was a studio apartment in the South End for ~$900 base...granted it was a 250 square foot apartment, but it's something.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:25 PM

28 posts, read 103,168 times
Thank you. This helps. I'm figuring out that Boston is outside my range, so it's down to Center City, Philadelphia, or North Side or the Loop in Chicago.

I realize North side is big. That was very helpful pointing out the size of a desireable neighborhood there being bigger than Center City as a whole. That gives some perspective. I hadn't thought of that.

The areas I think I'm interested in are just off the red line between Armitage and Berwyn in North Chicago. The Fullerton station area around DePaul, for instance, is a place I like.

I'm trying to keep rent under $800.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Well do you have to live in the very downtown area of the city? If you look in Boston in neighborhoods like Allston/Brighton, you're much more likely to find more reasonable rents. Neighboring cities like Cambridge, Somerville (Davis Square area), or Watertown may suit you too. All of those areas are well covered by mass-transit and have good access to shopping.

Remember, living in a neighboring city in Boston is much different than living in a neighboring city in other places...the geographical borders of Boston are tiny (48 square miles vs 227 for Chi and 135 for Philly), and you can pass into cities like Cambridge and Somerville without realizing you've left the city. Hell, both Cambridge and Somerville are denser than Boston (they're 16,000 & 18,200 while Boston is around 13,000 people per square mile).

For comparison, the distance to downtown Boston from Davis Square in Somerville is a mile closer than the trip from Wrigleyville to the Loop in Chicago.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrowise View Post
The areas I think I'm interested in are just off the red line between Armitage and Berwyn in North Chicago. The Fullerton station area around DePaul, for instance, is a place I like.

I'm trying to keep rent under $800.
Damn, that's a lot of area.

I think Addison to Armitage stops are the safest, but cost the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City