Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 12:19 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,604,323 times

Advertisements

I just find it funny dudes from east coast (minority -- not majority) think Midwest is all white and plain jane. You obviously have never been here. Many of the cities are a melting pot. It's kind of funny.. I live in Cuddell area of Cleveland - mixed with Whites, Blacks, Puerto Ricans, and Arabics.. you never hear no dude talking about how we are laid back or blonde/blue eyes. On top of that... I know a bunch of dudes who are from NYC. Supposedly, NYC is the largest group of people moving into Cleveland and it make sense.. We are eastcoast (atleast in the city) more than Midwest.

Welcome to Cleveland

YouTube - Welcome to Cleveland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuQtJDXhCA

certainly more east coast 2 me then say columbus or minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 10:05 AM

217 posts, read 690,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
^^^^^^That's ridiculous! Cleveland is nothing like the east coast cities. I was surprised that people in the midwest didn't jay walk. On the east coast, jaywalking is a way of life. Also standing on the left of an escaltor will get you yelled at.

NYC, Boston, Philly and DC are faster paced cities.
who told you we dont j-walk...we j-walk just as much as anybody else does..you must of been in one of them little towns somewhere...

and cleveland is 62% african american, so i diont get the whole "blue eyes blonde hair thing" if anything here its brown eyes and kinky black hair like myself..

Old 11-06-2009, 10:22 PM

9,428 posts, read 10,700,516 times
The most common ethnic groups here in the midwest are German, Dutch and scandanavian. In fact there is a town here in Michigan called Frankenmuth that has made itself a huge tourist attraction based on its VERY VERY German heritage. This German heritage is why the best beers in America are made here. There are microbreweries everywhere and most of them are pretty good.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:37 PM

87,949 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
The East Coast is centered around NYC...a place filled with Italians. We all know how Italians are. The Midwest is laid back except in the cities like Chicago. The cities, like Chicago or Detroit, don't have that in your face attitude that you see on the East Coast but they are shady and I wouldn't cross those people.
That's a description of New York I haven't heard before! The Italians are hardly the primary ethnic group in NYC. LOL

Old 11-07-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
So you discount me talking about Chicago's groups just to fit your argument?

Do you realize that Italians are know as being overbearing? You must live in Wyoming or something...
And I heard that if you **** them off, they'll leave a horsehead in your bed.

Are you for real?

Old 11-07-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Stereotypes are anchored in truth and there for a reason, remember that. Don't pretend like Italians are some soft sheep from the Southern Hills of France. New York City is all brown and black haired people with brown eyes. Lots of Italians and Jews. The Midwest has more blonde hair and blue eyed people. Green eyed people as well. That's what I don't like about NYC. They're all black and brown haired with brown eyes...BORING! Watch a Yankee game...nothing but brown and black haired men with brown eyes looking all filled with hot air. I hate that about New York.
You should actually visit New York sometime.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
There is a large number of Italians in the Cleveland area.. one of the highest populations in the nation.

And Cleveland is NOT all blonde hair/blue eyes. There is a substantial number of immigrants from Eastern Europe and the Middle East. Not to mention Puerto Rico..

YouTube - Cleveland Puerto Rican Festival and Parade 2008

Your post pretty much sums up every stereotype I believed ALL the midwest was like as well. Puerto Ricans are here in abundance in Cleveland. They are in Chicago as well, but not really many more places in the Midwest. But those 2 cities and the Northeast make up the majority of Puerto Ricans. I never met a PR while living in DC.
Yes, I think the person who was finding all those Italians in the stands doesn't really he was probably looking at a lot of Puerto Ricans or people from the DR. Geez. This is pretty funny. It's like my grandfather come back to life 40 years later. He warned my mother never to date an Italian because they all sleep with their daughters.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:55 PM

ANYWAY, to answer the OP's question, the East Coast (the megalopolis from Boston to DC) is definitely faster-paced, as people pointed out already. But I do think there's also a different attitude, and it's probably partially from the amount of diversity. I think we are less cautious in our own lives but more suspicious of others, too.

One of the things that I noticed that made me think that was after 9/11, I saw a lot of articles and quotes from people in different parts of the country (not just the midwest) about how their sense of security and safety was shattered. They no longer felt safe. I think that puzzled a lot of New Yorkers, because who the heck ever felt "safe" to begin with? Or even considered that "feeling safe" was an option or a goal to achieve. Perhaps midwesterners are more cautious about life? I don't know, just throwing this out there.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:25 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,604,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
ANYWAY, to answer the OP's question, the East Coast (the megalopolis from Boston to DC) is definitely faster-paced, as people pointed out already. But I do think there's also a different attitude, and it's probably partially from the amount of diversity. I think we are less cautious in our own lives but more suspicious of others, too.

One of the things that I noticed that made me think that was after 9/11, I saw a lot of articles and quotes from people in different parts of the country (not just the midwest) about how their sense of security and safety was shattered. They no longer felt safe. I think that puzzled a lot of New Yorkers, because who the heck ever felt "safe" to begin with? Or even considered that "feeling safe" was an option or a goal to achieve. Perhaps midwesterners are more cautious about life? I don't know, just throwing this out there.
I'm not really sure I understand your post at all.. Care to elaborate why someone would feel more safe in say, Detroit then in NYC? What is your theory behind this?

Old 11-07-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I'm not really sure I understand your post at all.. Care to elaborate why someone would feel more safe in say, Detroit then in NYC? What is your theory behind this?
LOL, I wasn't thinking of Detroit when I wrote that. Points for you. Detroit's getting its own front covers on the news mags lately.

But I didn't say anyone should feel more safe in one place more than another. It just seemed to me, based on what I read in articles at the time, as if the sentiment from Middle America was that some sort of illusion had been shattered. People made remarks that they no longer felt as safe after the terrorist attacks, and specifically, I remember this phrase popping up numerous times: "America has lost its innocence." Nobody in the NY metro area talked that way that I ever heard. I just found that a curious way to look at things, as if feeling safe was the norm.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-07-2009 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: relocated a misplaced phrase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City