Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your most desired city?
Portland, Oregon (575,641) 6 9.23%
Seattle, Washington (625,875) 25 38.46%
Los Angeles, California (3,852,820) 17 26.15%
San Diego, California (1,314,900) 17 26.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 04:58 PM

377 posts, read 1,082,322 times

Advertisements

Which of the four cities are better? Of course, I have to go with the you-know-what (You don't know: its San Diego. But the cities listed are Portland, Seatlle, Los Angeles, and San Diego.

1. best skylines (San Diego)
2. cool nightclubs (San Diego)
3. best moviemakers (Los Angeles)
4. cool coastline (LA and San Diego tied)
5. you can add some other topics. Bah.

Portland, Oregon (pop. 500,000)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/TE-Collage_Portland.png/250px-TE-Collage_Portland.png (broken link)

Seattle, Washington (pop. 600,000)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/24/SeattleMontage.png/250px-SeattleMontage.png (broken link)

Los Angeles, California (pop. 3,800,000)

San Diego, California (pop. 1,350,000)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 05:00 PM

377 posts, read 1,082,322 times
The poll is coming now? San Diego is what I pick, of course.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
Portland is closer to 600,000 people.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:12 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Overall, Seattle. My birthplace and one of 2 best cities in the U.S.

1. best skylines (Seattle)
2. cool nightclubs (LA)
3. best moviemakers (LA, obviously)
4. cool coastline (San Diego)

OK

6. best scenery (Seattle)
7. best food (Seattle or San Diego)
8. best culture (Seattle, lots of Asians)
9. best entertainment (LA)
10. best microbrews (Portland)
11. hottest women (San Diego and LA, with Seattle not too far behind)

Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
I love Seattle because ... put simply, it's home . I like it here. My job is here. I met my wife here and have friends. That's what matters to me most.

I grew up in Chicago and would love to go back, but I am loving it here. I been to LA, ... not quite my cup of tea. San Diego is nice, but too ... desert-like for me. Portland is awesome, sort of how Seattle USED to be prior to it being yuppified and made super expensive by all the highly paid engineers who live there now.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
1. best skylines (Seattle)
2. cool nightclubs (Los Angeles)
3. best moviemakers (Los Angeles)
4. cool coastline (San Diego)
5. best food (Los Angeles)

Overall, I'd put Seattle and Los Angeles at the top but for mostly different reasons. I'd put Portland after that with San Diego at the end (though I don't dislike the city--I just find its offerings bland in comparison).

Why's SF/the Bay Area left out of this comparison of West Coast cities? Also, I'd throw in Vancouver in British Columbia, too.

Actually, I think a Pacific Northwest (corridor from Eugene up to Vancouver) vs Norcal vs Socal would be kind of fun, yea?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,761 times
1. Best Skylines (Seattle is top ranked in nation and always wins polls as top U.S.A. skyline not San Diego.)
2.Cool Night Clubs ( Seattle has national clubs like P.N.K pink club and hundreds of others )
3. Top Movie Making ( HaHa of course L.A )
4. Cool Coastline ( LA the city proper is inland from the coast . So I would go with San Diego and Seattle Seeing its surounded by water on the sound. Both San Diego and Seattle have beautifull city settings on water but not La or Portland both inland.
5. Best Food (well if you want food cart and take out i would go with LA. But if you want fresh upscale local food I would go with Seattle for Seafood and produce.
6. Top Micro Beer culture ( Portland is top rated in the nation for its MicroBrewries)

Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
1. best skylines (don't care)
2. cool nightclubs (don't care)
3. best moviemakers (don't care)
4. cool coastline (don't care)

nature: Seattle
best DT: Seattle
most educated: Seattle

Portland is alright, I'm not a fan of Southern California whatsoever, don't like the people, don't like the culture, don't like the cities.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 AM

84 posts, read 182,612 times
1. Best skyline (Seattle, it's extremely photogenic from almost any angle.)
2. Cool nightclubs (I wouldn't know)
3. Best movie-makers (Los Angeles...)
4. Cool coastline (San Diego, since LA proper touches the coast only at a few places. After San Diego, Seattle, for the uniqueness of Puget Sound.)
5. Best food (Seattle and San Diego. San Diego has some awesome small-time fish joints that are basically the heart and soul of southern California. Seattle is famous for its varieties of cold-water seafood, and is a major stop for fishing vessels coming from Alaska.)
6. Most beautiful (Again, I gotta go with Seattle for the mountains, water, and trees. If you've ever actually seen Mt. Rainier, it's not a site you easily forget. We also get some of the best sunsets around, because of the way the sun lights up the clouds.)

Old 01-05-2011, 02:08 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki View Post
1. Best skyline (Seattle, it's extremely photogenic from almost any angle.)
2. Cool nightclubs (I wouldn't know)
3. Best movie-makers (Los Angeles...)
4. Cool coastline (San Diego, since LA proper touches the coast only at a few places. After San Diego, Seattle, for the uniqueness of Puget Sound.)
5. Best food (Seattle and San Diego. San Diego has some awesome small-time fish joints that are basically the heart and soul of southern California. Seattle is famous for its varieties of cold-water seafood, and is a major stop for fishing vessels coming from Alaska.)
6. Most beautiful (Again, I gotta go with Seattle for the mountains, water, and trees. If you've ever actually seen Mt. Rainier, it's not a site you easily forget. We also get some of the best sunsets around, because of the way the sun lights up the clouds.)
Yeah I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City