Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 8,032 times

Advertisements

Looking for moving suggestions Anything and Everything is appreciated. Don't hold back!

Currently I live in West Philly in PA. I have lived in Philadelphia or the Montgomery County Suburbs my whole 22 years. My fiance, 28 is a Philly transplant originally from Quincy, Mass. right outside of Boston.

Within the last year we have found nothing but trouble with local hoodrats, snobby college kids and the corrupt police officers of our town. I love my city, but I hate it at the very same time. We are seriously looking into moving out of state and down south, but not much farther west, we would like to stay on the east coast. Preferably near some sort of water.

I have my high school diploma, and am currently working as a front desk receptionist and facilities coodinator at a major corporate company with offices in all major US cities. While he is currently unemployed and is in training for his diesel mechanic certfication (finishing in july '10). He is an army veteran.

We are looking for somewhere that we can live in peace as an interracial couple (He is hispanic, I am white) but we would prefer to live in a town with a small population (preferably under 10 thousand). We are both pretty conservative when it comes to morals, values and politics, but very liberal when it comes to being able to live, dress, and speak freely.

We also are looking for a place that our dog will be welcome, I know there are a few places where the pitbull breed is banned, we would also like a place where we can live on a considerable amount of land. (Considerable would be at least an acre to ourselves..)

we want to move south for a slower pace, a warmer climate, friendlier people, cheaper rent/cheaper land when we decide to buy.

oh and it would be nice to live relatively close to a tattoo parlour and a veteran hospital (hour and a half max)

any thoughts are appreciated. thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:20 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaleemovessouth View Post
Looking for moving suggestions Anything and Everything is appreciated. Don't hold back!

Currently I live in West Philly in PA. I have lived in Philadelphia or the Montgomery County Suburbs my whole 22 years. My fiance, 28 is a Philly transplant originally from Quincy, Mass. right outside of Boston.

Within the last year we have found nothing but trouble with local hoodrats, snobby college kids and the corrupt police officers of our town. I love my city, but I hate it at the very same time. We are seriously looking into moving out of state and down south, but not much farther west, we would like to stay on the east coast. Preferably near some sort of water.

I have my high school diploma, and am currently working as a front desk receptionist and facilities coodinator at a major corporate company with offices in all major US cities. While he is currently unemployed and is in training for his diesel mechanic certfication (finishing in july '10). He is an army veteran.

We are looking for somewhere that we can live in peace as an interracial couple (He is hispanic, I am white) but we would prefer to live in a town with a small population (preferably under 10 thousand). We are both pretty conservative when it comes to morals, values and politics, but very liberal when it comes to being able to live, dress, and speak freely.

We also are looking for a place that our dog will be welcome, I know there are a few places where the pitbull breed is banned, we would also like a place where we can live on a considerable amount of land. (Considerable would be at least an acre to ourselves..)

we want to move south for a slower pace, a warmer climate, friendlier people, cheaper rent/cheaper land when we decide to buy.

oh and it would be nice to live relatively close to a tattoo parlour and a veteran hospital (hour and a half max)

Check out Houston, Dallas/ Ft Worth, Austin, Tyler, San Antonio, College Station, Lubbock Texas

Also Greenville SC, Charleston SC, Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN, Atlanta, Huntsville AL etc.

Pretty much any of these cities should have most or all of what you are looking for

Good luck

Old 11-04-2009, 02:26 PM

Not really looking to move to another city...looking for a small town (population under 10,000) Atlanta and Houston are exactly what I'm NOT looking for. Thank You for the response though

Old 11-04-2009, 03:13 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,537 times
Quote:
Not really looking to move to another city...looking for a small town (population under 10,000) Atlanta and Houston are exactly what I'm NOT looking for. Thank You for the response though
Well in that case, I would look into the hill country in Texas. Kerrville, Fredricksburg, Marble Falls, New Braunfels would probably suit you quit well. Relatively cheap, surrounded by beautiful rolling hills and lakes, tones to do for a low populated area, good cultural environment, great family environment, and all of the towns are less than an hours drive from either San Antonio, Austin, or both. The down side is most of those areas tend to be fairly conservative. I'm not sure whether that would be a good or bad thing for considering your from Philly. But compared to a lot of small town areas in the South, the Hill Country is not that extreme.

This isn't a great site but it's a start. I gives some info on the area and some of the surrounding towns.

Texas Hill Country Online - Visitor & Travel Guide

Oh and BTW, the area is booming (mainly around Austin and San Antonio, but the rest of the Hill Country is still one of the best kept secrets in Texas) so buying land down there would be a very very very good investment.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,588 times
Areas in western SC, near the Greenville area, or north GA might be good places to look.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:18 PM

268 posts, read 948,402 times
Quote:

Savannah seems like a good choice, it's on the water and the east coast.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
Savannah seems like a good choice, it's on the water and the east coast.
I concur with the above, however, Savannah has a city population of 130,000. HOWEVER, coming from the Philadelphia area, Savannah will seem much smaller than you might think. I would give it a try. You don't want TOO small of a town.

Another huge plus about Savannah is that we're open-minded for a southern town and accept any and everybody regardless of race or sexual orientation. Something I'm proud of!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 AM

I'm gonna start looking into these suggestions. Thank You all SO much. A push in any direction is appreciated, I haven't gone far from my area and I don't have much to go on from personal expirience. I went to Tennessee twice for a music festival, but that was about it.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,688,532 times
Look into DeLand, FL

Its a friendly small town in northeastern central FL, with a lot of history, and very pet friendly, they have an annual dog parade. About 20-30 mins from the beaches

http://www.deland.org

Last edited by GLS2010; 11-05-2009 at 07:26 AM..

Old 11-05-2009, 07:18 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Look into DeLand, FL

Its a friendly small town in northeastern central FL, with a lot of history, and very pet friendly, they have an annual dog parade. About 20-30 mins from the beaches
Agree about DeLand. Charming and affordable college town. I have an aunt and uncle that have happily lived there for 20 years.
I was going to suggest Wilmington, NC, IME a lovely and relatively progressive waterfront town.

Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City