Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 AM

331 posts, read 672,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Yes I understand that. I was explaining why cities in the South developed in a different way than cities in the North. Age does have something to do with it, but there are other factors as well.

Montrose and the Rice Village have very walkable neighborhoods. That's one reason why people like living in those places. But there is something nice about having a car and being able to drive everywhere. I do like walkable neighborhoods but it's not so bad having to drive. Driving can be very relaxing to me at least. Role down the windows, put on some music and enjoy life. I'm sure there's nothing relaxing about driving in NYC or Boston though.

Granted, I would like it if I didn't have to drive so much and had the option of walking or public transportation. I know Houston is trying to do this.

But, the type of city you just described represents New Orleans.
I've been to New Orleans before. That city is just way too rundown and dangerous for my liking. Sorry, I just never fell in love with it's so-called "charm".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:13 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
Sorry, I just never fell in love with it's so-called "charm".
Sorry, there's plenty of us who do.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:07 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
I really get a kick out of those people who refer to ATL as "The Mannhattan of the South". Those people are VERY dillusional to say the least.
No one has ever said that. Atlanta's moniker is the "New York of the South". Not because it looks or was built like NYC, but because of Atlanta's similar influence and prominence in the Southeast that NYC has on the Northeast.

Quote:
They are VERY touchy when bring this up. They have a complex about it if you ask me. They want their big "new" homes, 2 car garages, chain restaurants and malls, yet they want to be considered "city slickers".
Care to give an example of this? The City of Atlanta I know (not the suburbs) looks like this:

Downtown

Cabbagetown

Candler Park

Midtown:

Midtown again:

Old Fourth Ward

This thread is all about busting misconceptions, which yours has completely been busted. Not that I expect you to even admit that Urbanlover

Old 11-09-2009, 02:12 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No one has ever said that. Atlanta's moniker is the "New York of the South". Not because it looks or was built like NYC, but because of Atlanta's similar influence and prominence in the Southeast that NYC has on the Northeast.

Care to give an example of this? The City of Atlanta I know (not the suburbs) looks like this:

Downtown

Cabbagetown

Candler Park

Midtown:

Midtown again:

Old Fourth Ward

This thread is all about busting misconceptions, which yours has completely been busted. Not that I expect you to even admit that Urbanlover
Cool Pics, I really like Cabbagetown, Atlanta has very diverse architecture, it reminds me of a mini-NYC.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:22 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,307 times
Quote:

Downtown

Cabbagetown

Candler Park

Midtown:

Midtown again:

Old Fourth Ward

I really dont see it as a misconception, and honestly dont see it as being busted. You posted pictures of Atlanta that make it appear urban. And in fairness, there are some parts of Atlanta that are urban. Yet you are ignoring that a large chunk within the city limits does not fall into the urban category. A good example of this is Buckhead. While a decent chunk around Lenox Square (A very suburanish shopping center) is dense with condos and hotels, there is a huge chunk of the area within a mile of the mall that looks like it could be in a suburb.

Personally, I think that makes Atlanta unique. You could be in the middle of what seems like a relatively urban environment and then half a mile later be in what appears to be a suburb. And im not talking about a 'cookie cutter' type suburb, but very nice residential areas.

Too add, I can show pictures of certain suburbs that appear just as urban as some of the pictures you have shown, it really doesnt 'bust' anything.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:27 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
I really dont see it as a misconception, and honestly dont see it as being busted. You posted pictures of Atlanta that make it appear urban. And in fairness, there are some parts of Atlanta that are urban. Yet you are ignoring that a large chunk within the city limits does not fall into the urban category. A good example of this is Buckhead. While a decent chunk around Lenox Square (A very suburanish shopping center) is dense with condos and hotels, there is a huge chunk of the area within a mile of the mall that looks like it could be in a suburb.

Personally, I think that makes Atlanta unique. You could be in the middle of what seems like a relatively urban environment and then half a mile later be in what appears to be a suburb. And im not talking about a 'cookie cutter' type suburb, but very nice residential areas.

Too add, I can show pictures of certain suburbs that appear just as urban as some of the pictures you have shown, it really doesnt 'bust' anything.
Ok, the misconception is that ALL of Atlanta is "suburban oriented", not certain sections. The majority of the neighborhoods in the city are urban. The fact that most of Buckhead isn't means nothing, especially since most of the population of the city doesn't even live in Buckhead. Does Atlanta have parts of the city that are suburban like? Yes. Can you find this in every other city in the country? YES.

But go ahead, move the goal posts once again.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:50 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,307 times
Quote:
Ok, the misconception is that ALL of Atlanta is "suburban oriented", not certain sections. The majority of the neighborhoods in the city are urban. The fact that most of Buckhead isn't means nothing, especially since most of the population of the city doesn't even live in Buckhead. Does Atlanta have parts of the city that are suburban like? Yes. Can you find this in every other city in the country? YES.

But go ahead, move the goal posts once again.
I was just using buckhead as an example (it is one of the biggest and most known sections of Atlanta). I mentioned other areas as well.

Im not saying Atlanta is all suburban, its not.

Id like for you to tell me how I moved the goal post once again?

And of course all of Atlanta is not 'suburban oriented.' Nobody claimed otherwise. That would be like me saying all of chicago is 'urban oriented.' There are many areas of the city that arent. However, overall Chicago is urban.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:01 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:

Downtown

Cabbagetown

Candler Park

Midtown:

Midtown again:

Old Fourth Ward

wow i never realized how much Midtown and old fourth ward, resembles downtown orlando, and calender park resembles the east neighborhoods in downtown orlando.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:45 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Now how in the world do you get "suburban oriented" from that video clip? Or are you just giving your opinion in general? Usually people who have the misconception of Atlanta being suburban lived in/experienced the suburbs - not the city. The city isn't suburban oriented.

Just in case you don't remember, here is the corner AND the restaurant where the video takes place - Flying Biscuit.
(21) 10th avenue - Atlanta, Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14365866@N07/2416737094/ - broken link)

Another view of Piedmont and 10th:

DSCN0313.JPG on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apexdv/178020578/ - broken link)
It's suburban because right beyond that picture to the right its all single family houses with front and backyards.....

Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
What a silly assumption - that I have "blinders on" because I've lived in this city for a few years and I'm very familiar with it. Believe your misconceptions if you like...that is what they are all about.

Did I say that you think you "know all there is to know about Atlanta"? Nope...you said that. I said that you seem to think you know more about the city than I do with your ideas about what is located here and what it means. You don't.

Yes, your posts have an irritated and frustrated "tone".
Jeez.. just let someone have their opinion. I live 2 blocks away from the youtube video you posted and its only "semi" busy on Sunday mornings mostly due to people waiting to eat at flying biscuit..... otherwise it's never packed unless there is a parade or festival going on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City