Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:59 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Is Kodak gone too? Seriously? I know Xerox moved a few years ago, but I thought Kodak was still around.

I worked for Paychex back in the early 90s and had to travel to Rochester twice for a couple of weeks each time - in January and February. That winter WAS full of feet and feet of snow. It was beautiful. Snow cover makes everything look so neat and clean.
No freakin' way!! I worked for them too way back when and spent two week there in mid-January in the snow!!!! It was like negative 65 (with wind chill) and blizzards the whole time we were there. It was nuts, but yes - totally beautiful!!! What was that bar with the big turtle outside? That was pretty much our warmth for two weeks. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
No freakin' way!! I worked for them too way back when and spent two week there in mid-January in the snow!!!! It was like negative 65 (with wind chill) and blizzards the whole time we were there. It was nuts, but yes - totally beautiful!!! What was that bar with the big turtle outside? That was pretty much our warmth for two weeks. LOL
It's a small world after all...it's a small world after all...

I don't remember a big turtle...it was probably covered by a snow drift.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Almost every city's pundits (especially those here in Saint Louis) will point out:

There is a great zoo
There are great museums
There are great restaurants
There is great architecture
There are lots of things to do.

I pretty much expect to see at least a decent grade of the above in any city I visit.
I prefer coastal areas to the banality of the midwest, but that's personal preference.

Misconceptions that I know of:
LA/OC vapid, self absorbed morons that coddle and enable their bratty kids | NOT TRUE.
Sure there is money there, but most people work very hard to make that money.
But if you want to see casting call snobs visit Clayton, Missouri.

Southern California is Laid Back | NOT TRUE
Yes, people will call in late or cut out early to catch some waves, but they will also work double time to make up the difference. and some times business deals are cut while surfing. Its different, but I wouldn't call it laid back.

New Yorkers are Rude and unfriendly | NOT TRUE
Maybe some of the working class guys are a bit rough around the edges, but most will go out of the way to help you.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:47 PM

306 posts, read 319,618 times
Quote:
It sure is...lots of pedestrians, on the edge of Historic Midtown, a block from Piedmont Park, Flying Biscuit on one corner, a Japanese restaurant on the opposite corner, a bar, a bookstore, a coffee shop. Piedmont and 10th is truly Atlanta.
Wow, that sounds so cool.

Atlanta has all of those amenities?

I will have to move there. Truly unique.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Minneapolis - everyone is white, talks like they stepped out of the movie Fargo, and it's cold all the time. Truth: the state and metro area is still heavily white, and you sometimes hear a strong accent, but the cities are pretty diverse, and it gets hot in the summer. Sometimes MN gets lumped in with the "Midwest is conservative and old-fashioned" stereotype, which is another major pet peeve. Minneapolis is liberal and progressive, although some of the outer suburbs are conservative.

LA - "everyone" drives, there is no public transportation, everyone is superficial and "plastic," and people spend all their time at the beach, and there's no "culture." Truth: public transportation is pretty good, a lot of people get by just fine without cars, it's easy to avoid the superficial people (and LA has far lower levels of plastic surgery than many other cities), I rarely went to the beach (and lots of people don't, unless they live in one of the beach towns), and the museums and other cultural venues in the LA area are plentiful and top-notch in quality.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 PM

Yeah, Atlanta is just the one intersection. It's very compact.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
Yeah, Atlanta is just the one intersection. It's very compact.
It could be a fantastic neighborhood (I think I've been there, actually), but a boring video of boring people being boring is probably not the kind of "proof" to defeat the misconception that the contributor hoped. A video in which the narrator says (more or less), "yeah, ummm, this is Atlanta.... uhhh.... it's kinda gay n stuff..... and there's another gay part too... ummmm, wait, did she say our table's ready? huh? eh? ok..... ummm..... so her coworkers are over there... and we're going to eat at some point..." leaves you with a few questions.
1. Who records the most boring moments of their own lives and then posts it on youtube? I suppose a lot of people.
2. Who finds said video and thinks, "This is exactly what the folks on city-data need to see to change their minds about Atlanta!" ?

I'm sure there's "Proof" out there (videos that show that and other neighborhoods off), but that particular video had the opposite effect, IMO.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It could be a fantastic neighborhood (I think I've been there, actually), but a boring video of boring people being boring is probably not the kind of "proof" to defeat the misconception that the contributor hoped. A video in which the narrator says (more or less), "yeah, ummm, this is Atlanta.... uhhh.... it's kinda gay n stuff..... and there's another gay part too... ummmm, wait, did she say our table's ready? huh? eh? ok..... ummm..... so her coworkers are over there... and we're going to eat at some point..." leaves you with a few questions.
1. Who records the most boring moments of their own lives and then posts it on youtube? I suppose a lot of people.
2. Who finds said video and thinks, "This is exactly what the folks on city-data need to see to change their minds about Atlanta!" ?

I'm sure there's "Proof" out there (videos that show that and other neighborhoods off), but that particular video had the opposite effect, IMO.
Okay, okay...let's stone him for posting it!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I will also add about Atlanta the misconception that it's the most sprawled out, suburban oriented, conservative, backwards, no soul having city on the planet.

For proof against that:

YouTube - Midtown Atlanta
I like this.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:07 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

1. It's not my vid so I could really care less if it's bashed.

2. Yes, that's exactly how people should see the City of Atlanta. At the street level, in one of the most urban, vibrant, obviously non-conservative areas in the entire South (if you have been on 10th in Midtown, then you know exactly what I mean). The city culture of Atlanta is one where the people are relaxed, hanging out at a restaurant, just taking in a nice day. Something the video shows very clearly.

3. If it bothers you so much () here are some others:

YouTube - Jazz Music Superstar "Mike Phillips" performing "Live"!

YouTube - Atlanta Skyline and some Graffiti

YouTube - Peachtree Street on a Summer Afternoon- Downtown Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City