Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 04:51 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
New Orleans is a nice city but I think the only reason half of the people on here are choosing new Orleans because it is bigger and they never been to any of the other south cities. St.aug in is very unique. Savanna and Charleston are very unique. Someone that has never been wouldn't pick it. Atlanta/Miami are major cities of the south and much different than the rest of south. Leaving out Texas on this. And if you add in dc then you have a difference there but most people won't classify dc has south even though it is. North East doesn't start till you get to p.a.
I disagree with Atlanta. Also this thread is not about being different, but being the most unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 05:07 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
New Orleans is a nice city but I think the only reason half of the people on here are choosing new Orleans because it is bigger and they never been to any of the other south cities. St.aug in is very unique. Savanna and Charleston are very unique. Someone that has never been wouldn't pick it. Atlanta/Miami are major cities of the south and much different than the rest of south. Leaving out Texas on this. And if you add in dc then you have a difference there but most people won't classify dc has south even though it is. North East doesn't start till you get to p.a.
Leave out Texas and add DC? Interesting.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:34 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Leave out Texas and add DC? Interesting.
Houston or Dallas is not really unique. They are major cities but what really separates them from other major cities.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:21 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Houston or Dallas is not really unique. They are major cities but what really separates them from other major cities.
Then why name Atlanta and Miami? Also, why not name Houston and Dallas but include DC which is always questioned if it is in the South or not?

Old 11-06-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Then why name Atlanta and Miami? Also, why not name Houston and Dallas but include DC which is always questioned if it is in the South or not?
Didn't mean to put Atlanta but Miami to me has a Caribbean feel that you can't get in many us cities. Also the articutual of a lot of the buildings and homes gives it that feel also..

Dc is a part of the south. Not the deep South. To people that live in the south will say dc is north but also say Tennessee north also. To most people in north dc is the south. Also I said don't include Houston or Dallas because they are just normal cities compared to dc. Not population wise but cultural

Old 11-06-2017, 11:53 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Didn't mean to put Atlanta but Miami to me has a Caribbean feel that you can't get in many us cities. Also the articutual of a lot of the buildings and homes gives it that feel also..

Dc is a part of the south. Not the deep South. To people that live in the south will say dc is north but also say Tennessee north also. To most people in north dc is the south. Also I said don't include Houston or Dallas because they are just normal cities compared to dc. Not population wise but cultural
The DC area historically was the south but today its culture is basically a replica of New York and New Jersey with many foreign elements too due to immigration. If you are to count Maryland as the south though, Baltimore is a somewhat unique city in its cultural mix and local dialect but it still wouldn't be as unique as New Orleans.

Besides New Orleans, I think Asheville, NC is a place that does stand out and there's something very unique about Appalachia too especially eastern Kentucky and southern West Virginia. Those are at the same time some of the most all-American places yet different. I would include Savannah as a runner up too especially because despite the rich history of the South, many Southern cities actually saw most of their growth in the later 20th century (or were pillaged and razed to the ground by the Union during the war) and Savannah has a very well preserved character.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:17 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The DC area historically was the south but today its culture is basically a replica of New York and New Jersey with many foreign elements too due to immigration. If you are to count Maryland as the south though, Baltimore is a somewhat unique city in its cultural mix and local dialect but it still wouldn't be as unique as New Orleans.

Besides New Orleans, I think Asheville, NC is a place that does stand out and there's something very unique about Appalachia too especially eastern Kentucky and southern West Virginia. Those are at the same time some of the most all-American places yet different. I would include Savannah as a runner up too especially because despite the rich history of the South, many Southern cities actually saw most of their growth in the later 20th century (or were pillaged and razed to the ground by the Union during the war) and Savannah has a very well preserved character.
DC is not a replica of New York, I don't know where you people get this stuff from. DC is my favorite place on the planet, and is without question one of the more unique cities around, though until the last few months, for years it has been lambasted as soulless and culture-less on this forum...

West Virginia is very unique, with the only place I've been that is reminiscent us parts of East Tennessee. Asheville is unique for North Carolina, but I don't think it's among the more unique cities in the South...

If Baltimore is being included it deserves to be mentioned, I definitely don't consider it less unique than New Orleans. Someone also mentioned upthread the older cities of Virginia, which is amazing more people fail to note this. Virginia is unique, for the South or otherwise, and using Richmond as an example, unless you're using DC (which is still different enough culturally) or Petersburg (which is to Richmond what Alexandria is to DC), there is nowhere else like Richmond. The entire Tidewater culture is unique, but all of the cities within resemble each other and the Tidewater culture extends into Maryland (both DC and Baltimore are Tidewater-lite), Central Virginia, and Northeast North Carolina, so on balance I'm not sure it's one of the "most" unique places...

Old 11-07-2017, 06:00 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,574 times
Quote:

You obviously never been to houston. And dc is not southern at all. not today. I been there plenty of times

Old 11-07-2017, 11:06 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,063 times
Quote:
In regards to features pertinent to the people and culture of the South, Atlanta is much more like the rest of the South than New Orleans, which has been traditionally home to the South's only predominantly Ethnic/Catholic white population. Although not traditionally, a case be made that Miami is most unique today.

Last edited by Aceter; 11-07-2017 at 11:34 PM..

Old 11-07-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
You obviously never been to houston. And dc is not southern at all. not today. I been there plenty of times
Dc is not northern either. You don't get the northern feel untill you get to Baltimore which is a complete difference at least to me than dc..

Haven't been to Houston in about 5 years so I'm pretty sure a lot has changed but still wouldn't call it unique. The most unique thing to me is katy freeway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City