Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 03:00 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
In regards to features pertinent to the people and culture of the South, Atlanta is much more like the rest of the South than New Orleans, which has been traditionally home to the South's only predominantly Ethnic/Catholic white population. Although not traditionally, a case be made that Miami is most unique today.
What does "ethnic white/catholic" even matter? The cultural differences among white populations in the US have way more to do with liberal/conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 04:13 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
My opinion is probably yes. Miami arguable is not really culturally southern. New Orleans isn't like the rest of the deep south for sure.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:40 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
My opinion is probably yes. Miami arguable is not really culturally southern. New Orleans isn't like the rest of the deep south for sure.
So then, aren't the same arguments made by some of Richmond and Louisville, too--that they aren't culturally southern and aren't like the Deep South? And with even more clarity, too, because there are places in the Deep South (Gulf Coast)that are similar to New Orleans. There is nowhete in the Deep South that bears more than a superficial resemblance to Richmond or Louisville...

So then, what are the qualifiers?

Old 11-08-2017, 09:54 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
New Orleans is unique -- not just for "the South" but for the entire country. It's history eclipses other places in the south beyond the obvious cultural aspects. We are fortunate to have several stand-alone unique cities in the US. The problem is that we are trying hard to make them all the same.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:24 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
So then, aren't the same arguments made by some of Richmond and Louisville, too--that they aren't culturally southern and aren't like the Deep South? And with even more clarity, too, because there are places in the Deep South (Gulf Coast)that are similar to New Orleans. There is nowhete in the Deep South that bears more than a superficial resemblance to Richmond or Louisville...

Moot point because Louisville and Richmond are considered the Upper South, not the Deep South.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:14 PM

375 posts, read 331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

What makes Miami unique in this discussion is that her culture has been completely transformed in the last 50-60 years unlike any other city in the South that I can think of. And yes, I'm also thinking about Washington DC.

So the culture you see presently in Miami is completely disconnected from Miami in the 1940s, and unrecognizable if we go back before the 1920s. Miami was such a tiny, undeveloped place that received such a huge influx of immigrants and transplants (from the EC and midwest) that now Miami reflects her late arrivals.

New Orleans is unique for historical reasons (i.e French history) not because of massive amounts of immigration and transplantation like Miami (and DC to a much lesser extent). I don't know much about Richmond or Louisville, but I would bet the story is similar. That the culture you see today is a natural progression of the culture you saw 100 years ago and if they're so different from other Southern cities it's mostly due to the fact they're geographically straddling a contact zone between the South and Midwest/EC.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
What makes Miami unique in this discussion is that her culture has been completely transformed in the last 50-60 years unlike any other city in the South that I can think of. And yes, I'm also thinking about Washington DC.

So the culture you see presently in Miami is completely disconnected from Miami in the 1940s, and unrecognizable if we go back before the 1920s. Miami was such a tiny, undeveloped place that received such a huge influx of immigrants and transplants (from the EC and midwest) that now Miami reflects her late arrivals.

New Orleans is unique for historical reasons (i.e French history) not because of massive amounts of immigration and transplantation like Miami (and DC to a much lesser extent). I don't know much about Richmond or Louisville, but I would bet the story is similar. That the culture you see today is a natural progression of the culture you saw 100 years ago and if they're so different from other Southern cities it's mostly due to the fact they're geographically straddling a contact zone between the South and Midwest/EC.
Actually immigration is one of the reasons if not the main reasons for our culture. There would be none if it weren't for the Sicilians, Germans, Haitians, West African slaves, Jamaicans, etc. Miami just has a more recent history regarding immigration.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:45 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Moot point because Louisville and Richmond are considered the Upper South, not the Deep South.
Lousiville is basically half-Midwest. It's as "South" as Cincy. Very Catholic, German, accents are different, homes look Midwest in style.

Richmond has a little more southern feel, but is basically at one end of the Northeast Corridor. It, too, feels like a border city, on the cusp of the Northeast Corridor.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:10 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Lousiville is basically half-Midwest. It's as "South" as Cincy. Very Catholic, German, accents are different, homes look Midwest in style.

Richmond has a little more southern feel, but is basically at one end of the Northeast Corridor. It, too, feels like a border city, on the cusp of the Northeast Corridor.
I agree with both of these to a degree. Louisville feels more southern to me than Cincy does though, and the eastern suburbs of Louisville look more traditionally southern than Cincy's.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:55 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I agree with both of these to a degree. Louisville feels more southern to me than Cincy does though, and the eastern suburbs of Louisville look more traditionally southern than Cincy's.
Cincy and Louisville feel more Midwestern than southern, especially Cincy. Some of the suburbs of both look southern, but it makes sense when you consider some of the developers are from Tennessee and Georgia (Nashville and Atlanta). New Orleans is a different animal altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City