Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:13 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Interesting. So the white money expanded out towards Carrollton and Audubon Park.
Yep. I'd include parts of Mid-City as well as you can find some pretty large mansions along Canal and Esplanade and in Bayou St. John.

Ardsley Park looks pretty rough now. True?
I'm not sure if I could find an area similar to that in New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yep. I'd include parts of Mid-City as well as you can find some pretty large mansions along Canal and Esplanade and in Bayou St. John.

Ardsley Park looks pretty rough now. True?
I'm not sure if I could find an area similar to that in New Orleans.
Ardslely Park in Savannah? Hell to the no! It's the most exclusive residential district in Savannah proper ... the city's first streetcar suburb, grand old homes, wide streets, pocket parks ... between downtown and the Southside, south of Victory Drive and east of Abercorn. Great neighborhood.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Ardslely Park in Savannah? Hell to the no! It's the most exclusive residential district in Savannah proper ... the city's first streetcar suburb, grand old homes, wide streets, pocket parks ... between downtown and the Southside, south of Victory Drive and east of Abercorn. Great neighborhood.
I just looked at the streetview of Ardsley Park itself, and the homes around that small park. Maybe that's not the best view?
http://goo.gl/maps/mkJFG

Old 01-01-2014, 03:44 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

YouTube - Gullah of Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

Around the 3:00 mark, the woman being interviewed has a classic Gullah accent although it's obvious (to me) that she tones it down a bit so as to be more understood by the interviewer. She's actually from the Hilton Head area. The Lowcountry, where the Gullah/Geechee accent and culture is present, actually stretches from the lower NC coast to the upper FL coast, but it's more concentrated in the stretch from Georgetown, SC to the Georgia Sea Islands. Some very rich culture there. I don't speak Gullah myself, but I can understand a lot of it if I listen carefully, as my paternal grandmother uses elements of it in her speech.
Is it just me or does the first man that's interviewed almost sound like he has a Boston (/Eastern New England) accent....

The way he says "here" and "ancestors" at 0:54, for example. And also words like "particularly", "growers", "before", and "acres" at around 1:40.

He speaks as though he grew up in South Carolina, so I wonder why his accent sounds maybe somewhat Bostonian...

Or maybe I'm just hearing things. I think that's a definite possibility, but the accent still seems strangely familiar....

Old 01-01-2014, 09:56 PM

23,457 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
I just looked at the streetview of Ardsley Park itself, and the homes around that small park. Maybe that's not the best view?
http://goo.gl/maps/mkJFG
Ardsley Park is lovely. Its basically Savannah's version of NOLA's University area.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
I've seen a couple posts in here refer to the Gullah/Geechee culture in Charleston, but in each post they failed to mention Savannah. Why? Doesn't it exist in Coastal Georgia too?

Old 01-02-2014, 07:43 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I've seen a couple posts in here refer to the Gullah/Geechee culture in Charleston, but in each post they failed to mention Savannah. Why? Doesn't it exist in Coastal Georgia too?
Mostly on the Georgia Sea Islands, not too much in Savannah itself.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:13 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times
Quote:
Yeah I know. Alot of people just don't know the boundaries of Uptown/Downtown. Uptown starts at Canal St and actually includes the CBD. Uptown was the white side of the city and downtown (Quarter, Marigny, Treme, etc) were the Creole and black side. Originally Uptown was a separate city if I'm not mistaken and was pretty much were the money was from day one. So, as I see it, the money never really left New Orleans at all.
Uptown/Downtown was never divided by race. It was divided by language and heritage. Uptown was American/Anglo and African-American slaves. Downtown was French/Creole/Free African-Americans. Both sides had money but Uptown grew in power by the 20th century. It essentially resulted in 2 cities with 2 distinct cores (FQ and CBD). Side note: New Orleans used to actually have 3 different municipal governments (Uptown, French Quarter, and 3rd Municipality Bywater/Marigny).

Old 01-05-2014, 09:29 AM

72,985 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
These 3 cities are often compared to each other and referred to as the jewels of the south, etc. I live in one and have never been to the other 3 so I would like to know how do they really compare? Can they really be all that similar since they were settled by different people, with different backgrounds and beliefs?
How do people compare the Gullah with the Creoles/Crillo? I can see the Haitian immigrants, but the creole?

Charleston
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...oric_homes.jpg

New Orleans
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ew_Orleans.jpg

Savannah
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2C_Georgia.JPG
From the pictures, Charleston and New Orleans look a bit like the West Indies. Charleston, I might compare to Barbados or the Bahamas. New Orleans, it looks more like a splash between Havana and Port-au-Prince.

Savannah, on the other hand, stands about a bit. I think it looks more English and less like the tropics.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Uptown/Downtown was never divided by race. It was divided by language and heritage. Uptown was American/Anglo and African-American slaves. Downtown was French/Creole/Free African-Americans. Both sides had money but Uptown grew in power by the 20th century. It essentially resulted in 2 cities with 2 distinct cores (FQ and CBD). Side note: New Orleans used to actually have 3 different municipal governments (Uptown, French Quarter, and 3rd Municipality Bywater/Marigny).
I'd say I was pretty close. I didn't know that the Quarter and Bywater were separate, that's pretty strange actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
From the pictures, Charleston and New Orleans look a bit like the West Indies. Charleston, I might compare to Barbados or the Bahamas. New Orleans, it looks more like a splash between Havana and Port-au-Prince.

Savannah, on the other hand, stands about a bit. I think it looks more English and less like the tropics.
Yeah it always shocks me when people say New Orleans feels European. Everything about New Orleans reminds me more of the Caribbean than anything in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City