Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:58 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,441 times

Advertisements

most liberal:

San Francisco
New York
Boston
Detroit
Philadelphia
Chicago
Los Angeles
WAshington, DC
Seattle
Portland, OR
Madison, WI
Austin, TX

most conservative:

Salt Lake City
Oklahoma City
Tulsa, OK
Wichita, KS
Des Moines
San Antonio
Nashville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 12:13 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
What makes Dallas or Houston conservative? They are two cities that are building/expanding rail transit systems...which indicates a non-conservative city in my book.
I think a lot of people assume that they are conservative because they are in Texas. Then again, Austin is in Texas and anyone who knows Austin knows that its pretty liberal.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:16 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
The source LANative linked to would seem to list the following as the most conservative "major" cities. (I'm discounting cities that I know are suburbs)

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wichita, Kansas
Anaheim, California
Jacksonville, Florida

They also list Houston and Omaha, but I think those have changed. Although "conservative for a major city" largely equates to being moderate for America. The real conservative cities tend to be small cities.

Interestingly that site lists the following cities as having the highest amount of third-party votes...

Hartford, Connecticut
Salt Lake City, Utah
New Haven, Connecticut
Buffalo, New York
Anchorage, Alaska

I'm skeptical of that source though as it only goes by whether a place votes Democratic or Republican, but in some cities the Democratic Party is not all that liberal or progressive. So for this post I'm going to use list of major liberal cities, as it uses other factors, even if that might be a verboten choice. (I don't know if it is, but I heard we can't link to "rivals" and so I won't link to it) So they list

Boston-Cambridge, Massachusetts
Bay Area, California
New Haven, Connecticut
Providence, Rhode Island
New York City
Baltimore, Maryland
Seattle, Washington

Last edited by Yac; 12-16-2020 at 12:02 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 04:36 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
I can add to this and say Miami is Liberal and Omaha is conservative. I have lived in Miami and spent time in Omaha. I think people in Omaha would be shocked in Miami.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:17 AM

218 posts, read 1,240,574 times
I don't think you could call metro Detroit or metro LA liberal. There is strong conservativism in the Detroit suburbs and in parts of the LA suburbs like Orange County.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:26 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I agree with previous poster that Nashville really is not that conservative. It has the old money political cronies however, the city doesn't have a conservative feel, as least to me. It's one of the few cities in the South where I feel quite at home. I agree though that Knoxville does have a strong conservative vibe.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I agree with previous poster that Nashville really is not that conservative. It has the old money political cronies however, the city doesn't have a conservative feel, as least to me. It's one of the few cities in the South where I feel quite at home. I agree though that Knoxville does have a strong conservative vibe.
I would agree with this. People I've met from Tennessee seem to be pretty moderate and not extremely conservative.

But my vote for the most conservative city would be either Lubbock, TX or Salt Lake City. The Alabama and South Carolina cities are probably up there as well.

I would think San Francisco or Boston would be the most liberal. Boulder is probably up there as well.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum237 View Post
By cities, I mean the metro area in general. I would guess the following are most liberal and conservative....

Liberal:
San Francisco
Boston
Portland
Seattle
Hartford
Providence
New York City
Washington DC

Conservative:
Dallas
Houston
Oklahoma City
Kansas City
Nashville
Salt Lake City
Cincinatti
Jacksonville
Not bad, I second this list minus Houston maybe (but it's not liberal either). My family's from Hartford but I've never taken it for an overtly liberal city (relative to other New England towns).

Old 11-09-2009, 12:38 PM

321 posts, read 720,393 times
Liberal:

Boston Metro, especially The People's Republic of Cambridge, Massachusetts.
San Fran.
Asheville N.C. for the south
NYC
Portland Maine and Portland Oregon
Chicago's pretty blue- union powerhouse city
Connecticut and RI are pretty liberal

Old 11-09-2009, 12:43 PM

321 posts, read 720,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum237 View Post
I don't think you could call metro Detroit or metro LA liberal. There is strong conservativism in the Detroit suburbs and in parts of the LA suburbs like Orange County.
In Detroit though the UAW has alot of pull so you could argue for liberal leans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City